talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak

football forum

5 hours ago, Azeem said:

Americans running to stores in panic to get health supplies, classy America as always. Tbh i wouldn't blame them when your country is under attack by aliens or a giant volcano is about blow up in every other movie i can see understand their panic. 

We are going a bit crazy too apparently. 

5 hours ago, Azeem said:

Americans running to stores in panic to get health supplies, classy America as always. Tbh i wouldn't blame them when your country is under attack by aliens or a giant volcano is about blow up in every other movie i can see understand their panic. 

29 minutes ago, Toinho said:

We are going a bit crazy too apparently. 

Heard similar here as well, mainly hand wash and soap......... which you'd normally get anyway as part of your general shop. o.O

I keep hearing people in real life come out with "it hasn't killed as many people as the seasonal flu" or "only 80,000 cases" or "only 50 people in a country of 60 million" or "the fatality rate is only 2%" or "more people have died in car crashes than of coronavirus"

Shall we just not bother containing the virus so that lot can wake up about the danger :ph34r:

How do some Iranians deal with those who are suspected to have contracted Coronavirus?:35_thinking:

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/middle-east/2020/02/29/Watch-Clinic-in-Iran-set-on-fire-believed-to-be-coronavirus-quarantine-.html

BURN THE FUCKERS DOWN!!

In all seriousness, misinformation is something that we should really attempt to avoid and the public should be made more educated about this virus. The rate at which it is spreading suggests that it will be with us for sometime yet, so we all need to be sensible and mature about how we deal with it.

37 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

I keep hearing people in real life come out with "it hasn't killed as many people as the seasonal flu" or "only 80,000 cases" or "only 50 people in a country of 60 million" or "the fatality rate is only 2%" or "more people have died in car crashes than of coronavirus"

Shall we just not bother containing the virus so that lot can wake up about the danger :ph34r:

The problem I generally have is the way the likes of the media and even our own politicians are currently portraying it (considering locking down cities if necessary, despite the low amount of cases at present), as well as the hysteria around it (ie. it's a global killer and we're all going to die). Because of this, it sparks unnecessary things such as panic buying and, after hearing the 'worst case scenario of deploying the army in case of public disorder' earlier today, mass paranoia. 

Obviously it needs to be contained, but the media and politicians aren't helping matters. 

4 hours ago, Pyfish said:

39 cases yesterday has rose to 51 as of 14:00 GMT today in the UK!

Spain has gone from 3 last week to 153 today.

Catalunya(where I'm going on Thurs) has 17 cases, but none of them so far have been from unknown reasons. All have been to Italy or been very close to someone who has and there has also been no infections there in 24 hours, unless a few more pop up now that I have said that.

Madrid seems to be getting it the worst and there are cases popping up there which can't be explained. @Stan was lucky he went when he did as I'd be more wary about going there right now.

I'm still going though. 17 cases in 1 region isn't enough to not go. Not to mention, there is as much chance of catching it here anyway. That's not to say I'm not shitting myself a bit now and that I won't be extra cautious, although It's not stopping me from going as you could catch this almost anywhere at this point.

Edited by Carnivore Chris

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Madrid seems to be getting it the worst and there are cases popping up there which can't be explained. @Stan was lucky he went when he did as I'd be wary about going there right now

Definitely timed that one alright! 

37 minutes ago, Cicero said:

He has to be trolling surely 

Maybe if he hadn't acted like this every day since he started campaigning for president. I don't think the "Trump being a moron is an act" argument flies when he goes and repeatedly does stuff that demonstrates pretty clearly he's a moron.

Maybe it'll take a public health crisis for Americans to learn that you shouldn't let just any idiot be president. Doubt it though, Pence was instrumental in creating an AIDS epidemic in Indiana and Indiana was ecstatic that he was the VP nominee.

2 hours ago, Michael said:

How do some Iranians deal with those who are suspected to have contracted Coronavirus?:35_thinking:

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/middle-east/2020/02/29/Watch-Clinic-in-Iran-set-on-fire-believed-to-be-coronavirus-quarantine-.html

BURN THE FUCKERS DOWN!!

In all seriousness, misinformation is something that we should really attempt to avoid and the public should be made more educated about this virus. The rate at which it is spreading suggests that it will be with us for sometime yet, so we all need to be sensible and mature about how we deal with it.

Tbf Al Arabiya isn't the greatest source of news for Iran - they've been caught just making shit up before and they're about the only source I've seen reporting on this quarantine fire. Although, also tbf, Iran does have a load of uneducated and reactionary people - so it might have happened. But it's not the best source.

I think something even more stupid, though, is verifiably true. https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-51706021 - I saw the video of this on Persian twitter yesterday; idiots licking a holy shrine to demonstrate that they wouldn't get coronavirus because the shrine would protect them. This is the danger of having an authoritarian theocracy - having a bunch of idiots that do stupid things that are dangerous. Two of the shrine lickers have been arrested... but still... that's just profoundly stupid on their part.

• Subscriber

Don't know how true this is but that thread alone makes you wonder who actually knows what they are doing when it comes to this virus and how informed the public are on what needs to be done. 

• Subscriber

Spain have just reported their first death - however the patient died on February 13th in Valencia and the cause of death was initially described as "pneumonia of unknown origin". At that point there weren't any officially confirmed cases on mainland Spain so it clearly represents at least weeks-long undetected spread and thus a major containment issue.

3 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Tbf Al Arabiya isn't the greatest source of news for Iran - they've been caught just making shit up before and they're about the only source I've seen reporting on this quarantine fire. Although, also tbf, Iran does have a load of uneducated and reactionary people - so it might have happened. But it's not the best source.

I think something even more stupid, though, is verifiably true. https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-51706021 - I saw the video of this on Persian twitter yesterday; idiots licking a holy shrine to demonstrate that they wouldn't get coronavirus because the shrine would protect them. This is the danger of having an authoritarian theocracy - having a bunch of idiots that do stupid things that are dangerous. Two of the shrine lickers have been arrested... but still... that's just profoundly stupid on their part.

There are several other sources that have reported this particular incident. But it's not just Iran where things like this are happening, similar incidents to this have happened in other places where people have been ill informed.

WTF, people licking the holy shrines!!:o

"In another video at a shrine in Mashhad a man is filmed saying he is there to lick the shrine, "so the disease can go inside my body and others can visit it with no anxiety"." …….:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::dash3:

This is just the epitome of ignorance and utter stupidity! A grand way to spread the disease even more rapidly than it is already spreading. For all their faults, at least the Iranian regime is cracking down on this kind of ignorance.

37 minutes ago, Michael said:

There are several other sources that have reported this particular incident. But it's not just Iran where things like this are happening, similar incidents to this have happened in other places where people have been ill informed.

WTF, people licking the holy shrines!!:o

"In another video at a shrine in Mashhad a man is filmed saying he is there to lick the shrine, "so the disease can go inside my body and others can visit it with no anxiety"." …….:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::dash3:

This is just the epitome of ignorance and utter stupidity! A grand way to spread the disease even more rapidly than it is already spreading. For all their faults, at least the Iranian regime is cracking down on this kind of ignorance.

Sadly, a lot of people in the Middle East think this is how diseases spread; that the germs occupy one body and if you pass it onto other people the germs are no longer in your body.

Which is pretty mental and doesn't explain things like "flu season" or "the plague."

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Harvsky said:

I’m seeing people share all kinds of data to compare it with other outbreaks and the common flu. 

Our health department or whatever have said in Western Australia an outbreak is inevitable. Peaking in August?? 

7 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

The problem I generally have is the way the likes of the media and even our own politicians are currently portraying it (considering locking down cities if necessary, despite the low amount of cases at present), as well as the hysteria around it (ie. it's a global killer and we're all going to die). Because of this, it sparks unnecessary things such as panic buying and, after hearing the 'worst case scenario of deploying the army in case of public disorder' earlier today, mass paranoia. 

Obviously it needs to be contained, but the media and politicians aren't helping matters. 

Much of what they say comes down from the World Health Organisation and academic contagion expert recommendations. That shouldn't be forgotten, it's easy to frame it as politicians and media, taking aim at two groups considered free to be discredited and disarmed. Associate an opinion with them and you can get people to reject it. A big risk for UK containment. 

It is vastly underestimated how well China has done on containment. They've dicked their economy to save lives.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

Midnight's update for international cases outside of mainland China in the last 24 hours (00:00 to 24:00 CET Mar 3):

2438 new cases and 49 new deaths:

• South Korea - 851 new cases and 6 new deaths;
  • Iran - 835 new cases and 11 deaths;
  • Italy - 466 new cases and 27 deaths;
  • Spain - 45 new cases and 1 death;
  • Germany - 31 new cases;
  • Switzerland - 28 new cases;
  • France - 21 new cases and 1 death;
  • USA - 19 new cases and 3 deaths;
  • Japan - 19 new cases;
  • Sweden - 15 new cases;
  • UK - 11 new cases;
  • Norway - 8 new cases;
  • Malaysia - 7 new cases;
  • Australia, UAE, Oman, Iraq, Austria, Denmark - 6 new cases each;
  • Belgium, Algeria, Netherlands, Iceland, Algeria - 5 new cases each;
  • Canada - 3 new cases;
  • Singapore, San Marino, Portugal - 2 new cases each;
  • Diamond Princess cruise ship, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Croatia, Pakistan, Romania, Estonia, Mexico, Qatar, Ecuador, Ireland, Czech Republic, Senegal, Ukraine, Argentina, Liechtenstein, Chile - 1 new case each.

Fourth countries reported their first ever cases today (Ukraine, Argentina, Liechtenstein, Chile). 

Current total: 12728 cases and 223 deaths in 80 countries.

• Upvote 1

I said to someone today that more people have survived Coronavirus that have died. He said the virus just goes to sleep or something and they might still die. Is this true? Because if its not the survival rate is pretty good