• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool 1-4 Manchester City - Sunday 7th February 2021

football forum

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Making out that Liverpool have just pulled £500m out of their back pocket and thrown it at their squad is ridiculous.

Maybe that's why nobody has said that.

We have spent 472M in five years, it didn't come out of anyones back pocket. It came in most part from player sales, anything else came from record profits. One thing is certain nobody is bankrolling us.

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

Yet again the bizarre defense mechanism you Liverpool lot have on Klopp and spending. Instead of actually comprehending the point 90% of this forum is making, you continue to divert the argument into something the 90% of this forum never made. 

I

I didn't even mention Klopp you berk? 

6 minutes ago, Scouse_Mouse said:

We have spent 472M in five years, it didn't come out of anyones back pocket. It came in most part from player sales, anything else came from record profits. One thing is certain nobody is bankrolling us.

That's what rando was saying mate. He basically said we had to generate our money through player sales, good coaching etc etc.

• Subscriber

What I don't understand about this debate and how utterly rattled some people clearly get by it, is what do you ultimately want? A bigger trophy because you won it with less money? Or just for all of the fans of other clubs to spend their time talking about how impressed they are with your football team's accountants because we all know that's what football fans are most interested in talking about?

Some people are getting very bent out of shape. Liverpool spent a lot of money on players, some of that came from selling key players like Coutinho, a lot of it also came because they were lucky enough that clubs were dumb enough to throw loads of money at them for Championship players. You can admit this without opening the door to everyone else calling Klopp a fraud or whatever you're worried about.

• Administrator
42 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

and didn't Leicester pay £20m-30m for a goalkeeper from Liverpool's squad that I'd never heard of before (or since)?

£12.5m for Danny Ward.

You've heard of him now so none of this disrespect in future please.

• Subscriber
Just now, RandoEFC said:

What I don't understand about this debate and how utterly rattled some people clearly get by it, is what do you ultimately want? A bigger trophy because you won it with less money? Or just for all of the fans of other clubs to spend their time talking about how impressed they are with your football team's accountants because we all know that's what football fans are most interested in talking about?

Some people are getting very bent out of shape. Liverpool spent a lot of money on players, some of that came from selling key players like Coutinho, a lot of it also came because they were lucky enough that clubs were dumb enough to throw loads of money at them for Championship players. You can admit this without opening the door to everyone else calling Klopp a fraud or whatever you're worried about.

And just to clarify, this isn't just Liverpool. Our fanbase spent plenty of time acting as if we'd somehow won something because of how much money we saved finishing 5th-7th every season.

15 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

A bigger trophy would be splendid thanksxD

I don't know if you meant me but I'm certainly not bent out of shape mate. I'm not bothered where the money came from. I thought it was refreshing to see us win without being bankrolled but I'd have been happy no matter what with the last two league seasons and winning the CL and WCC.

13 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

And just to clarify, this isn't just Liverpool. Our fanbase spent plenty of time acting as if we'd somehow won something because of how much money we saved finishing 5th-7th every season.

It's human nature, Everton are going in the right direction, getting Ancelotti was a major coup................and that Bramley Moore stadium will be open any time now.:ay:

34 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

What I don't understand about this debate and how utterly rattled some people clearly get by it, is what do you ultimately want? A bigger trophy because you won it with less money? Or just for all of the fans of other clubs to spend their time talking about how impressed they are with your football team's accountants because we all know that's what football fans are most interested in talking about?

Insecurities.

They spent their whole lives cricitising plastic oil clubs for spending loads of money to compete for trophies. Now that we are seeing Liverpool breaking transfer records to compete, their defence mechanism tries to reduce the anxiety of judgement by defending their position of spending money while comparing it to net spend and other factors, as if it somehow deflects the fact they spent a lot of money to compete. Yes your net spend is low, but you improved the team by spending. A lot. 

It's a simple acknowledgement really. There's some Liverpool fans on here that've grasped it and others whose insecurities think we are apparently comparing them to City or they dig the never ending hole thinking a low net spend doesn't mean they spent a load of money. 

2 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Insecurities.

They spent their whole lives cricitising plastic oil clubs for spending loads of money to compete for trophies. Now that we are seeing Liverpool breaking transfer records to compete, their defence mechanism tries to reduce the anxiety of judgement by defending their position of spending money while comparing it to net spend and other factors, as if it somehow deflects the fact they spent a lot of money to compete. You improved the team by spending. Simple. 

It's a simple acknowledgement really. There's some Liverpool fans on here that've grasped it and others whose insecurities think we are apparently comparing them to City or they dig the never ending hole thinking a low net spend doesn't mean they spent a load of money. 

I think if the point at the end of the day is the big clubs spend big money to compete - sure.

I do think there’s a big difference when clubs have to sell players to make big signings - because that’s exactly why the oil clubs have such depth. It’s why I think there should always be maximum pressure on those clubs to be winning everything all the time - it’s a reflection of how when they spend big they don’t have to sell key players.

Tbf though I do think Chelsea have embraced that they are not a normal club and the pressure on each of their managers is very high. And if they don’t know that when they take the Chelsea job, well... they should have.

And also tbf to Pep and City, when you’ve got Abu Dhabi’s GDP and you have pressure to win everything... Pep and City have done a better job than most managers and clubs probably would.

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think if the point at the end of the day is the big clubs spend big money to compete - sure.

I do think there’s a big difference when clubs have to sell players to make big signings - because that’s exactly why the oil clubs have such depth. It’s why I think there should always be maximum pressure on those clubs to be winning everything all the time - it’s a reflection of how when they spend big they don’t have to sell key players.

It's essentially why I rate Klopp higher than Pep and any other manager. The lack of resources he has compared to other managers. The one time Klopp does have an abundance of money at his disposal, he made fantastic decisions and it ultimately led to Liverpool winning the league and champions league. But the fact remains the same, he had to spend big to get Liverpool to where they are. 

1 hour ago, Scouse_Mouse said:

About the same as us then with a net spend of 505million over the last 5 years and we bakroll ourselves with premier & Champions League money

On 08/02/2021 at 19:19, LFCMadLad said:

What a shit perspective xD

More accurate would be:

Team 1 sells its best players for £200m and buys new players for £200m

Team 2 keeps all its best players and spends £200m on new players

Both teams spent £200m but BUT......

Think about it boys, it's not fucking spinal surgery.

everyone knows this but they are trolling. please dont feed them :D

City were ruthless against Liverpool. They seem to now have the perfect balance in their team and the Manchester club are the side to beat this season. In their current form, it seems hard to see any other club closing the gap  to get near them. City also have the luxury of having a game in hand. While the league title looks very likely to be theirs this season, I think that City will also strongly fancy their chances in the elusive Champions League this term. This could well be Pep's best season so far as manager of City.

• The topic was locked

Archived