talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Chris Wilder Leaves Sheffield United

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems very clear some pretty major disagreements have gone on if he's leaving with immediate effect. Had they wanted to save this season, he'd have gone three or four months ago, if they were simply focused on next season, he'd have probably left at the end of the season. I imagine the relationship between himself and the board is untenable.

I think he will be fine, I don't think this season has dented his reputation too badly. I can't see the club returning to the top flight any time soon.

• Administrator

I think the writing was on the wall here after the director of football stuff was announced. Had a feeling this was a move designed to squeeze him out. It’s happened faster than I expected though, looks like he saw which was the wind was blowing and bowed out. 

There’s been rumours of discontent for the past couple of years and he’s managed to do remarkably to get promoted and finish as high as they did last season but eventually there was going to be a breaking point.

If I was West Brom, I’d be sacking Allardyce now and get him on the case for a go at promotion back next year. He’d probably also suit Bournemouth. 

A156-EFE7-10-D0-471-E-B43-D-8-FD1-AA84-A

Beat Pep Guardiola to LMA manager of the year and then only 2nd place to Klopp the following season, took us from being in League One for 6 seasons to fighting for a UEFA Champions League spot.

In an ideal world we would progress from here and build a little dynasty with him but unfortunately we’ve got a pauper who’s worth 200m running the club, Chris got it all wrong in the summer, recruitment was a total disaster; it happens.. we progressed too fast, lacked the scouting networks and resources. However, a DOF coming in is all well and good but if we keep the strict 45k wage budget per player what can any DOF really do.

Be interesting to see where he goes next and how he does, really did push a very limited Sheffield United side as far as they could possibly go. You could ask questions about his recruitment in the Premier League, but with that said they're going to be in the Championship next season with a first 11 that's jumped from League 1 to the Prem and will have the likes of Burke, Bogle, Brewster, Ramsdale and McBurnie. It's a strong side in the Championship and if they recruit well a good manager could go in there and do a decent job.

He took them as far as he could and should be remembered for the positives as they far outweigh the negatives.

The ceiling from when he inherited the job in League One was probably promotion to the Premier League and finishing 17th. That was as best as he could have possibly done for me. 

So if anything, he absolutely overachieved last year finishing 9th, but it was never sustainable. Sadly a victim of his own success.

Unfortunately for some clubs, their potential is not as big as others so when they reach their peak, they cannot break past that. Sheffield United are a classic example of that.

Wilder will have no problem finding a job in the Championship, but I don't personally see many suitors in the PL.

It'd never happen in a million years probably but my god, I'd love to see Warnock back there for one final promotion attempt haha.

• Administrator
48 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Neil Lennon as favourite is absolutely mental. 

He might be alright in the Championship, but he's no elite manager. 

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

He was an absolute cabbage at Bolton, albeit at a crap club. He should be heavily avoided. 

Oh yeah, I forgot about that travesty 

• Subscriber

This is the one time I think the manager going before facing us actually might work in our favour. I can't imagine there being a big reaction from the players to this.

9 minutes ago, Cazza said:

Well it's too late for big Sam so depends on whose out there or are we waiting for another resignation somewhere and then an appointment after suspicion has dropped.

Burnley keept the ginger, Norwich did the same this year. 

I dont get Wilders transfers, but the team will be pretty good in Championship. 

On paper the core is there for a very good Championship team. The issue is there isn't really any managers available in that "get out Championship" bracket or any managers coming though that deserve an opportunity in that bracket.

Whilst I think he's done a fantastic job, I do think the DOF roles overseeing recruitment is the route all football clubs should be going down. If Wilder isn't happy with that model he's going to struggle to find another PL job in the near future. 

Presuming Eddie Howe is holding out for another PL job, If Alan Knill wants to stay I'd give the gig to him. He's had a lot of plaudits since Wilder has been there. 

20 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

On paper the core is there for a very good Championship team. The issue is there isn't really any managers available in that "get out Championship" bracket or any managers coming though that deserve an opportunity in that bracket.

Whilst I think he's done a fantastic job, I do think the DOF roles overseeing recruitment is the route all football clubs should be going down. If Wilder isn't happy with that model he's going to struggle to find another PL job in the near future. 

Presuming Eddie Howe is holding out for another PL job, If Alan Knill wants to stay I'd give the gig to him. He's had a lot of plaudits since Wilder has been there. 

Knill & Wilder will/should stick together because they compliment each other, it hasn’t worked for Knill as a front man before, like Clough & Taylor.

• The title was changed to Chris Wilder Leaves Sheffield United

Archived