talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Other PL Round 1 Matches - Saturday 14th August, 2021

football forum

3 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Turns out Godfrey was one of the players isolating. I'd have him in there with Mina all day. Keane has 6 good months then 6 shit months and Holgate blows hot and cold week to week.

It's astonishing that we're desperate enough to start Richarlison after he's played two international tournaments this summer. Not the sign of a functional club at all.

Gray and Townsend are looking pretty good though, so at least there’s that… I guess.

It’s still a pretty open game. I think Southampton have had the better chances, but really only because of making more individual mistakes from those 2 CBs.

It is absolutely bizarre to me how it looks like Rafa & Ferguson truly get on with each other… and I dunno why, because they’re professionals xD (and was Ferguson at Goodison while we had Rafa? Genuinely can’t remember if he was still playing or not)

Richarlison equalises

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least Danny Ings is off the mark early & with 2 home matches up next, perhaps it can be used as an early wake up call. Shake off any complacency.

Bailey was on the bench. Douglas Luiz resting. Ollie Watkins out. Ashley Young starting ahead of Traore.

But this was bad from Villa. Or great from Watford. Not changed my feeling that Watford will stay up.

42 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

Fell back in love with football today, just can't describe being in the ground to see your team play. What a second half too, played them off the park. 

If you’re lucky you’ll get to see exactly why so many Liverpool fans absolutely love Rafa. He’s brilliant tbh and this is the best squad he’s managed in a long time - I think you’ll see some good performances like that second half fairly frequently.

• Subscriber

I've only watched the highlights and the noise from the crowd was a treat, but let's not get carried away. Home game against probably one of the worst teams in the league this season with a crowd full of fans who have waited nearly 2 years to go the game behind you. Bigger tests ahead.

On a serious note regarding Richarlison as well, great that he turned out a man of the match performance today. My concern is more towards November/December where his summer exploits will start to catch up with him.

37 more points and we can rest easy. :ph34r:

3 hours ago, Reluctant Striker said:

I'd take an equaliser right now..

Listening to the radio commentary & Watford's Sarr sounds to be running the match.

We will take a few games, our pre season is a mess and upheaval of Grealish going will mean inconsistent first 5-6 games. Also worth pointing out 2 friendliest cancelled due to covid didn’t help we looked on holiday first half, no intensity second to every ball

2 hours ago, Cicero said:

Chalobah couldn’t of asked for a better league debut. Happy for the lad.  

He has done well, Quite impressed with him and his attitude, puts himself about and has some passion and common sense. If he carries on like that it will be hard to keep him out of the side.. 

• Administrator

Couldn't go today and not seen any highlights yet but heard that the Vardy goal was well deserved.

Happy with a clean sheet and 3 points to get off the mark for the season though in any case.

Read a few comments across various media on Villa. Poor start like ourselves. Ultimately, they should be fine. We'll be ok too.

Performances aside, personally, I think something we all have to accept is that this first weekend has been perfectly set up for anyone playing home. It was a tough start to play away really.

Bare in mind we're talking a year and half since packed crowds at Premier League games, there is no wonder home sides got an extra lift from that today. To go from empty stadiums to full houses backing you and fans really giving it that bit extra because they have missed it, I am not surprised there were so many home wins today, the home sides would have got a great buzz off of it.

And I think its something to keep an eye on tomorrow and next week too. Everyone that played away will get their first home game next week which will give them a lift. I'd love to think we certainly will.

39 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Read a few comments across various media on Villa. Poor start like ourselves. Ultimately, they should be fine. We'll be ok too.

Performances aside, personally, I think something we all have to accept is that this first weekend has been perfectly set up for anyone playing home. It was a tough start to play away really.

Bare in mind we're talking a year and half since packed crowds at Premier League games, there is no wonder home sides got an extra lift from that today. To go from empty stadiums to full houses backing you and fans really giving it that bit extra because they have missed it, I am not surprised there were so many home wins today, the home sides would have got a great buzz off of it.

And I think its something to keep an eye on tomorrow and next week too. Everyone that played away will get their first home game next week which will give them a lift. I'd love to think we certainly will.

On the first week, it’s a big swing to home wins I’ve noticed. Also think the short distrusted preseason won’t have helped

50 minutes ago, Lucas said:

How many Leeds players arrived late to pre season training due to International commitments?

Think you need to consider that as well.

The first half was a giant negative for me. We gave Chelsea far too much respect and there confidence grew as the game continued. It was a very difficult watch from a Palace perspective.

The biggest disappointment was looking at that bench. Whilst I'm very pleased with the players we have signed, we are still extremely under prepared. That bench for a side that's been in this league for eight years was embarrassing. This isnt a new phenomenon for us either. Of our seven seasons in the Premier League, the only time we looked prepared on game week one was the summer we signed Yohan Cabaye and we were fourth at Christmas.

The one positive for me was that we had a Plan B. When Andersen came on and went three at the back we suddenly were playing 20 yards forward. I thought Guehi would be our main distributor but Andersen was pinging balls and finding players that you wouldn't expect him to attempt. Had this been last season Chelsea would have pinned us back until they got a fourth.

Saw some journalists comparing Vieira losing 3-0 to Chelsea to De Boer losing 3-0 to Huddersfield which is absolutely comical. Ed Aaron's called Brentford must win which is laughable too. We would be doing very well to be out the bottom three after the first ten games.

• Subscriber

I thought we were quite fortunate to win today to be honest. Seems to be a common theme against Wolves that we never play well against them but we rarely have a bad result either. It's a strange trend.

In truth today was just about being back at proper football again. I mean, I've had the FA Cup and Community Shield, but just a really good day and I think it would've been no matter how we did. It's a good result - Wolves are a decent side, they're a bit dull, but they're not easy to play against.

We were poor in the second half. We're better than what we served up in that half.

Happy though. Footballs properly back.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived