talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Man Utd Agree £75m Fee For Lukaku

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a world of difference between us but when we had Scott Hogan he was our only goal threat, we sold him and people questioned how we'd stay competitive. We reinvested the money in the same window, didn't focus everything around one player and all of a sudden we were scoring as many and if not more goals without him.

Lukaku hasn't been a world beater, end of the day Everton finished 7th last season so if they can reinvest the money then I don't see why they can't improve on him as a team.

Everton have usually been petty shrewd in the transfer market. And Koeman is the right guy to use a bucket of money wisely. As long as they don't end up paying over the odds for the new recruits they should come out in a good position but realistically it would be some effort to move up on last years finish if theres major rework of the first 11.

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, Danny said:

There's a world of difference between us but when we had Scott Hogan he was our only goal threat, we sold him and people questioned how we'd stay competitive. We reinvested the money in the same window, didn't focus everything around one player and all of a sudden we were scoring as many and if not more goals without him.

Lukaku hasn't been a world beater, end of the day Everton finished 7th last season so if they can reinvest the money then I don't see why they can't improve on him as a team.

You're right, the first thing I thought about with this deal was Brentford and Scott Hogan...

• Administrator

how much did Chelsea bid, if anything, for Lukaku? 

Have Man Utd properly 'gazumped' Chelsea here or did Lukaku always have his eyes set on Utd and just waited for a bid to be made.

Did Lukaku get on well with Jose when the latter was at Chelsea?

4 minutes ago, Stan said:

how much did Chelsea bid, if anything, for Lukaku? 

Have Man Utd properly 'gazumped' Chelsea here or did Lukaku always have his eyes set on Utd and just waited for a bid to be made.

Did Lukaku get on well with Jose when the latter was at Chelsea?

They matched the deal but United are paying the agent more than Chelsea would. 

Lukaku has said a few times that there was never any problem with him and Mourinho, he just left to play. 

I think most people preferred United in the last third of the season when they weren't so reliant on one forward. I presume because of the way Lukaku has played at Everton this move signifies they'll be building the team around him which is a shame in a way as I was hopeing to see United play a system which can get the best out of both Martial and Rashford.

Koeman: "Wayne, of course, is still competitive - he will be a competitor always - and he wants to play at the highest level that is possible for him."

what is that level?... and am i the only one reading that quote getting the impression Koeman wasn't exactly barring up over this transfer?

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

Koeman: "Wayne, of course, is still competitive - he will be a competitor always - and he wants to play at the highest level that is possible for him."

what is that level?... and am i the only one reading that quote getting the impression Koeman wasn't exactly barring up over this transfer?

He wasn't a 'top' target but he did want him here. He was gushing over him in March when we allowed the Sky cameras to spend the day at the training ground and has done a few times since that. 

• Subscriber

Genuine question, was there this much doubt around Liverpool resigning Fowler in his later years, United bringing Scholes out of retirement, Arsenal getting Henry back on loan a few years ago?

And don't tell me it's different because it is but it's not at the same time. 

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

Genuine question, was there this much doubt around Liverpool resigning Fowler in his later years, United bringing Scholes out of retirement, Arsenal getting Henry back on loan a few years ago?

It's great news. Rooney sells papers.... but same as all of those others you listed...

there has been way more pressure on rooney. Thats the main thing that's different. And That he was getting played significantly more minutes than his performances deserved for the last couple of year which led to a savage overcorrection in how people view his footballing abilities.

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

It is different though. All of those players were brought back inexpensively when their respective clubs were in a tight spot because of injuries and had little opportunity to sign anyone else.

The only way it isn't different is if you completely ignore the context that made those signings necessary.

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

It is different though. All of those players were brought back inexpensively when their respective clubs were in a tight spot because of injuries and had little opportunity to sign anyone else.

The only way it isn't different is if you completely ignore the context that made those signings necessary.

Inexpensively? Is a free transfer expensive?

Archived