talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Off Topic

football forum

10 hours ago, Stan said:

this for me as well. i usually have lamb but had my first beef steak a few months ago. oh my god. sensational. 

I had some duck once when in France, cooked on a barbecue. you'd squeeze it a little and red juice would leak out. Tasted absolutely delicious, mind. 

What? You had your first ever steak recently? 

• Administrator
5 hours ago, Anton said:

What? You had your first ever steak recently? 

yeah. 

Hindus don't eat beef and for 26 years of my life, I hadn't. 

Then went to a steakhouse with the missus and loosened the reigns so to speak :D . 

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, Spike said:

I eat my chicken rare. I'm classy like that. I look down on people that like to eat food in a manner different to me.

That's really not the point. Certain meats reach maximum tenderness, juiciness and flavour when prepared in a certain way due to the fat distribution and texture. For most cuts of steaks (rib-eye, t-bone, tenderloin, etc), it happens to be medium rare,  while top sirloin is best served rare, while the likes of flank, skirt, short ribs or hanger steak reach the optimal tenderness and juiciness when cooked to medium (since those are tougher cuts and thus the connective tissues need time to render).

Of course it's your prerogative to eat it the way you like it, but you are not getting the best out of your high quality cut if you order it well-done. It's a bit like mixing your single malt with coke, in the end it's just a waste of good Scotch. 

A steak has got to be well done, although not too well done so that it's burnt. i'd say inbetween well done and medium. It's also about who cooks it and how they do it.

Talking of animals, when I was fishing early last week, I went for a walk to the other side of the lake at around 5:30am to bait up an area where my hook-bait was, then a deer came running out of the woods and ran literally 0.5 meters away from me, I nearly had a heart attack. It makes you wonder why deers are so scared of humans as it was a big bastard and had it ran straight at me, then I would have been fucked. It's not often you see deers so up close, due to how skittish they are, so it was an experience. It's also nice to see them around there as you know they won't be hunted by nobheads. You wouldn't get away with it around there.

Edited by The Rebel CRS

• Administrator
Just now, Danny said:

I included that, unless I've counted 2 things as 1?

Di Canio pushing the ref
Klinsmann dive
Beckham free-kick
Yeboah volley
Arsenal red-card mix-up (Oxlade and Gibbs)
Delia Smith half-time rally
Keegan 'love it!'
Fowler celebration
Gerrard slip
Birmingham red card on Eduardo
Keown vs Van Nistelrooy
Suarez bite
Shearer celebration
Arsenal penalty (Henry & Pires)
Cantona kick
Beach ball Sunderland vs Liverpool
Rooney overhead kick

17 :) 

On 5/28/2017 at 6:15 AM, nudge said:

That's really not the point. Certain meats reach maximum tenderness, juiciness and flavour when prepared in a certain way due to the fat distribution and texture. For most cuts of steaks (rib-eye, t-bone, tenderloin, etc), it happens to be medium rare,  while top sirloin is best served rare, while the likes of flank, skirt, short ribs or hanger steak reach the optimal tenderness and juiciness when cooked to medium (since those are tougher cuts and thus the connective tissues need time to render).

Of course it's your prerogative to eat it the way you like it, but you are not getting the best out of your high quality cut if you order it well-done. It's a bit like mixing your single malt with coke, in the end it's just a waste of good Scotch. 

It isn't a waste of anything, for both the meat and the drink. The only thing that matters is the person consuming it enjoys it. Taste is completely subjective, while you and I will agree mixing cola with Johnny Blue is just ridiculous it doesn't matter if the person enjoys it and it never is 'waste' unless it isn't being consumed at all.

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, Spike said:

It isn't a waste of anything, for both the meat and the drink. The only thing that matters is the person consuming it enjoys it. Taste is completely subjective, while you and I will agree mixing cola with Johnny Blue is just ridiculous it doesn't matter if the person enjoys it and it never is 'waste' unless it isn't being consumed at all.

It is a waste if you consider the amount of work and resources that went into producing it to ensure the highest quality and uniqueness of the product. Getting a cut of prime meat well-done or mixing single malt Scotch with cola means dumping all the flavour and unique character as at that point there's no difference between it and cheaper/lower quality product, of course it's a waste. 

Also Johnnie Walker Blue is an over-priced blended Scotch that isn't worth the price at all.

Edited by nudge

Just now, nudge said:

It is a waste if you consider the amount of work and resources that went into producing it to ensure the highest quality and uniqueness of the product. Getting a cut of prime meat well-done or mixing single malt Scotch with cola means dumping all the flavour and unique character as at that point there's no difference between it and cheaper/lower quality product, of course it's a waste. 

All the work and resources have been justified by being paid for. It isn't a waste.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Spike said:

All the work and resources have been justified by being paid for. It isn't a waste.

It is a waste of potential. Just like buying a Porsche and letting it rot in the garage for decades.

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

It is a waste of potential. Just like buying a Porsche and letting it rot in the garage for decades.

It doesn't matter if the person letting their porche sit in a garage is deriving equal or more pleasure than a person driving. Just because you don't like it and disagree with how something is done; doesn't mean someone can't derive similar or greater pleasure. Just because it's a 'waste' from your perspective doesn't mean it's true for others. For me it'd be a waste to cook a steak rare because I don't like that, around medium is perfect for me. For me it'd be a waste to put cola in fine scotch but I don't care if others do that, because we are all free to consume any product in whatever manner we choose. 

Though in certain circumstances, I do agree with you. If I was at a party and there was two bottles of Johny Walker, one blue and the other red and only myself and one other person were drinking them, I'd tell the other person to fuck off and drink the red label if they were planning on mixing cola in. If it was their bottle alone, I wouldn't care but in a situation like that, I would.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Spike said:

It doesn't matter if the person letting their porche sit in a garage is deriving equal or more pleasure than a person driving. Just because you don't like it and disagree with how something is done; doesn't mean someone can't derive similar or greater pleasure. Just because it's a 'waste' from your perspective doesn't mean it's true for others. For me it'd be a waste to cook a steak rare because I don't like that, around medium is perfect for me. For me it'd be a waste to put cola in fine scotch but I don't care if others do that, because we are all free to consume any product in whatever manner we choose. 

Though in certain circumstances, I do agree with you. If I was at a party and there was two bottles of Johny Walker, one blue and the other red and only myself and one other person were drinking them, I'd tell the other person to fuck off and drink the red label if they were planning on mixing cola in. If it was their bottle alone, I wouldn't care but in a situation like that, I would.

Fair enough, if you like it medium or well-done, by all means go for it, but why would you do that with a prime cut which has the most flavour and tenderness if cooked at least medium rare? I mean, a 50$ well-done steak from a dry-aged prime cut of a grass-fed cattle will taste pretty much the same as a 10$ well-done mass-produced steak from a cheap shitty cut, so it's a waste of both money and meat and the farmer's and chef's effort. Why do you think Italian chefs go mental if someone puts ketchup on a pizza, haha? The same about Porsche, hundred years of effort by numerous generations have been put into it to create a high-quality end product. It is supposed to be driven, letting it rot is just so disrespectful to the masterpiece and its creators. Craftsmen usually care more about their product than just getting monetary reward for it... As I said before, it's your prerogative to do so, but it's also my right to find it completely pointless and silly.