• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Jordan Henderson Moves to Al Ettifaq

football forum

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I think it's hard to say you're an ally of gays and then go collect a king's ransom from the public fund of a country that punishes gay people with death. It makes a mockery of his advocacy for them tbh, I think it's pretty understandable that a public figure who once acted like he stood for a cause gets a lot of shit for selling out his values for a lot of cash.

Kind of is exactly the kind of situation that phrase "talk is cheap" comes from.

If people don't have this type of energy for players that play for Newcastle or Man City, then they can't start coming for Henderson. If he moved to either of those clubs, I guarantee there wouldn't have been anyone that said anything about his championing of LGBT rights now being hollow.

To me it's just another example of how a non-western country is seen as one thing where everyone and everything must be connected. Where anyone that chooses to be there must now answer for that country's sins. Like people will now ask about his take on Jamal Khashoggi...

• Subscriber

I don't think it's really a case of whether he should take their money. I don't see that as a huge moral issue. I'd say going and lending legitimacy to their football league, and being a part of their sportswashing, is the "crime" here, if there is one being committed. I'm staying out of that one to be honest.

2 hours ago, Devil said:

I have no issue with people taking their money, I do have issue with their human rights but that shouldn't stop people milking them.

Hopefully all these players won't give a fuck and basically do a Carlos Tevez in China.

I agree with you but the unfortunate side effect is that it gives Saudi Arabia legitimacy.

4 minutes ago, Spike said:

I agree with you but the unfortunate side effect is that it gives Saudi Arabia legitimacy.

Nah, I don't buy that. The world knows people are using them for their money. The boxing, the golf and now football, nobody gives one single fuck about them they are just taking their money.

If anything it's keeping their horrific human rights records in the news. 

2 hours ago, 6666 said:

To me it's just another example of how a non-western country is seen as one thing where everyone and everything must be connected.

I guess that's because you don't understand what a public fund is 

33 minutes ago, Devil said:

Nah, I don't buy that. The world knows people are using them for their money. The boxing, the golf and now football, nobody gives one single fuck about them they are just taking their money.

If anything it's keeping their horrific human rights records in the news. 

I disagree. All it takes is time and reiteration for an idea to take hold. For instance The USA used to have over 35% of its workforce in unions, through steady discouragement and bad press that number is now under 10% with the idea itself being vilified.

People will look at Saudi Arabia 'if it is good enough for Cristiano Ronaldo, it's good enough for me'.

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I guess that's because you don't understand what a public fund is 

Public Fund or not. It doesn't somehow dictate his own personal opinions. He doesn't take on their thoughts. He's there to play football. Saying he moved for money is completely fair. Saying he doesn't care about gay people now is a bit of a leap and overly dramatic.

4 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Public Fund or not. It doesn't somehow dictate his own personal opinions. He doesn't take on their thoughts. He's there to play football. Saying he moved for money is completely fair. Saying he doesn't care about gay people now is a bit of a leap and overly dramatic.

Saying he cares about gay people less than he cares about getting money from a bunch of shitbags though is completely fair.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Saying he cares about gay people less than he cares about getting money from a bunch of shitbags though is completely fair.

But ensuring his families health, wealth and lifestyle for generations to come far outweigh people's opinions.

When he's 80 with great grandkids he can sleep in the knowledge his decision has secured his families future.

4 minutes ago, Devil said:

But ensuring his families health, wealth and lifestyle for generations to come far outweigh people's opinions.

When he's 80 with great grandkids he can sleep in the knowledge his decision has secured his families future.

He had already done that. He is a multimillionaire.

8 minutes ago, Devil said:

He's already done that though before this move?

51 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Apparently he earns £190,000 p/w at Liverpool, which is near £10,000,000 a year. He is even wealthier than I thought. 

6 minutes ago, Spike said:

Apparently he earns £190,000 p/w at Liverpool, which is near £10,000,000 a year. He is even wealthier than I thought. 

Even after tax, he's got enough money to where he can have that money work for him the rest of his life to give him a steady stream of a huge amount of income. He's got the sort of wealth that people would call generational. Tbh, it makes him selling out the values he claimed he stood for much worse in my eyes.

He didn't need to sell out, he wanted to.

7 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Even after tax, he's got enough money to where he can have that money work for him the rest of his life to give him a steady stream of a huge amount of income. He's got the sort of wealth that people would call generational. Tbh, it makes him selling out the values he claimed he stood for much worse in my eyes.

He didn't need to sell out, he wanted to.

It’s not like he is known to be particularly profligate either. How hard would it be to spend that much money? 

• Subscriber

I now wonder how many more players we're going to see migrate there. It's not very long before players will ditch clubs in Europe for a paycheck plus a chance to play in a potentially growing league because of who all are going there now. You ask me honestly; Messi missed a trick here and a massive paycheck. 

7 hours ago, Spike said:

He had already done that. He is a multimillionaire.

7 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

It doesn't matter what lifestyle you have you will always want to take it too another level.

He retires in a few years, he will know full well from his friends (ex pros) the difficulties of maintaining that lifestyle once that constant weekly mega wage comes in.

Say he's got 40-50 years left to live, three or four kids. Expensive school fees, new cars, expensive holidays, security and most of all the biggest drain....... a footballers wife!!

Trust me they can spend up. They still have means which they have to live within.

Players will always follow the money. It was Italy. Now England. With 2 Spanish teams doing everything to stay an option. 

28 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I now wonder how many more players we're going to see migrate there. It's not very long before players will ditch clubs in Europe for a paycheck plus a chance to play in a potentially growing league because of who all are going there now. You ask me honestly; Messi missed a trick here and a massive paycheck. 

Messi does have an underlying Spanish preference. He would not have needed to learn a new language when he was young at Barcelona. He apparently did not feel at home in Paris. And Miami is actually majority Spanish.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Devil said:

It doesn't matter what lifestyle you have you will always want to take it too another level.

He retires in a few years, he will know full well from his friends (ex pros) the difficulties of maintaining that lifestyle once that constant weekly mega wage comes in.

Say he's got 40-50 years left to live, three or four kids. Expensive school fees, new cars, expensive holidays, security and most of all the biggest drain....... a footballers wife!!

Trust me they can spend up. They still have means which they have to live within.

If you can't do that on £10m a year then they're doing something wrong with the money in the bank now. 

• Subscriber

This argument of wanting to set up your kids, grandkids, etc for life and needing to earn £500k a week instead of £200k a week in order to do that makes me wonder what exactly "set for life" means to some people.

It reminds me of the South Park episode that this is from:

"If Ruben Neves slums it in the Premier League, he'll only be able to afford a Gold Stream 3 for his private jet. He needs to go to Saudi Arabia so he can afford a Gold Stream 4 and have a remote for his surround sound DVD player."

6 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

This argument of wanting to set up your kids, grandkids, etc for life and needing to earn £500k a week instead of £200k a week in order to do that makes me wonder what exactly "set for life" means to some people.

It reminds me of the South Park episode that this is from:

"If Ruben Neves slums it in the Premier League, he'll only be able to afford a Gold Stream 3 for his private jet. He needs to go to Saudi Arabia so he can afford a Gold Stream 4 and have a remote for his surround sound DVD player."

Funnily enough, I was thinking the same episode when I first read that as well.

It's ridiculous really if £200k per week to some is considered not enough to set yourself and your family for life.

• Subscriber

Not to get all "tree-hugger" over it either but if these footballers are so concerned about their grandchildren and their great-grandchildren then they'd be using their influence and riches to help combat climate change so that future generations don't inherit the totally fucked-up planet that's currently heading their way, rather than adding legitimacy to the sports-washing projects of a country which continues to get rich off the ongoing overuse of fossil fuels by human beings that's causing a climate crisis, and indeed can mainly afford to quadruple the wages on offer in Europe because of the money they've made off this.

Just a thought. 🤷‍♂️

• The title was changed to Jordan Henderson Moves to Al Ettifaq

Archived