Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

Winning the Premier League or Winning the Champions League?

I've seen a lot where people value the PL title over winning the CL title. How do you view this? What would mean more?

The league title is definitely the greater achievement for me but European success definitely has more glory and tends to mark the difference between the greatest clubs and the rest.

Nottingham Forest's 14 year old fans try to goad others by singing about winning the European Cup not the league. 

Leicester City's 14 year old fans try to goad others by singing about winning the league, not the European cup, and Leicester are better than Forest at the minute so it has to be the league :ph34r:

The League. 

Champions League is the pinnacle, but it really should only be seen as 'the pinnacle' if the team that wins it, wins the league as well. 

• Upvote 1

You can't be a great European team without winning the CL, but at the same time it's possible for a team to win it and not be a great European team.

37 minutes ago, Dan said:

Leicester City's 14 year old fans try to goad others by singing about winning the league, not the European cup, and Leicester are better than Forest at the minute so it has to be the league :ph34r:

In 20 years time you will be in league one and your children will be telling Fleetwood Town fans about how you won the league before they were born. Like Blackburn do now :ph34r:

Winning the league. You have to be really good and consistent during the entire season, meanwhile the cup format is different you don´t necessarily need to be the best team to win a cup competition, 2004 Greece being the best example of it. 

On the other hand, though, I guess for teams like Bayern, PSG and Juventus winning league is more of an obligation than an achievement.

5 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

In 20 years time you will be in league one and your children will be telling Fleetwood Town fans about how you won the league before they were born. Like Blackburn do now :ph34r:

You bringing up that just reminded me of Scout´s meltdown. xD Classic TFF moment, 1927! 

• Haha 1

Premier League

World Cup

Fa Cup

Little Woods Cup

Coca Cola Cup

Milk Cup

Championship

Champions (& runners up) League :coffee:

La Liga

Bundesliga

Serie A

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Aaroncpfc said:

Chelsea killed The Champions League for me when they finished sixth and won the bloody thing.

I've got the CL 8th on my list so about right :ph34r:

23 minutes ago, Aaroncpfc said:

Chelsea killed The Champions League for me when they finished sixth and won the bloody thing.

xD

We were bound to win it sooner or later to be honest. 

already won the league so guess the next best thing is the Champions League :ph34r: 

Champions League by a fucking mile. The games are much bigger and the teams are much better.

I can understand people (particularly Liverpool fans) saying they'd prefer the Premier League, but ultimately the Champions League is much harder to win, so more prestigious and exciting.

For fans that have never seen their side win the league, then I completely understand that the league title is the what they want first and foremost.  But legendary clubs (in Europe at least) are made from winning the European Cup (Champions League) and that is the ultimate at club level in this continent.

What I want most for Arsenal is that Champions league.  That would be a dream come true but I doubt I'll ever see it.

1 hour ago, Aaroncpfc said:

Agree with this. That they won it with Roberto Di Matteo as manager and nearly won it with Avram Grant shows any fucker has a chance.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Happy Blue said:

Little Woods Cup

This one is brilliant! xD

7 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

This one is brilliant! xD

I like that he used 3 names for the same tournament xD 

2 hours ago, Aaroncpfc said:

1 hour ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Agree with this. That they won it with Roberto Di Matteo as manager and nearly won it with Avram Grant shows any fucker has a chance.

xD

18 minutes ago, Stan said:

I like that he used 3 names for the same tournament xD 

Yeah I know...  I usually use the "Coca-Cola Cup" to take the mick out of the competition but I'd forgotten it had also been called the Littlewoods Cup. xD

As a Newcastle fan it's like saying would I rather shag Michelle Keegan or Ariana Grande when it fact we all know I'd be happy with Fizz from Corrie or in Football terms the League Cup.

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, True Blue said:

League first then UCL

This.

Winning the Champions League without being English champions in the first place means you must have benefited from the lottery of knockout football to win the European Cup because you were never even the best team in your country.

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

This.

Winning the Champions League without being English champions in the first place means you must have benefited from the lottery of knockout football to win the European Cup because you were never even the best team in your country.

All depends on how you define the best. Is the team who can consistently grind out wins over the likes of West Brom and Swansea really better than the team who can beat the cream of the European crop over two legs? Not for me.

21 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

All depends on how you define the best. Is the team who can consistently grind out wins over the likes of West Brom and Swansea really better than the team who can beat the cream of the European crop over two legs? Not for me.

You can't fluke either achievement but for me claiming to be champions of Europe without being champions of your own country isn't quite right. It lacks a certain sense of legitimacy. I'd probably agree with you if we called them the "Winners of the European Cup" rather than "European Champions" which goes to show that my opinion is hardly that strong but I maintain that a bit of luck and a nice draw can get you close to the line in the CL or any cup competition whereas the league it has much less impact.