talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Leicester City Win The Championship & Return to the Premier League

• Subscriber

Never in doubt xD

Job done. Will give a proper post on this when I can be arsed. Been a quite peculiar one this - a weird, but funny way to do it.

• The title was changed to Leicester City Win The Championship & Return to the Premier League
  • Administrator
11 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

Weren't you crying the other day about your owners 😅

Yes? Why can't I still do that but be happy that we're back in the Premier League xD

Bizarre point to make. 

I think they were destined to come back up. They were pretty easily the best of the 3 that went down last season, and imo they only went down because they persisted for Rodgers for too long after he’d lost the plot.

But congrats to @Stan & @Dan

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

It was 1 of the more surprising relegations of recent times. And at least was followed by 1 of the most predictable immediate bounce backs. It would not surprise me if they challenge in the top half again straight away, pending any punishment. But also expecting next season's bottom 3 to be a less obvious set of clubs too.

• Administrator
6 hours ago, Reluctant Striker said:

It was 1 of the more surprising relegations of recent times. And at least was followed by 1 of the most predictable immediate bounce backs. It would not surprise me if they challenge in the top half again straight away, pending any punishment. But also expecting next season's bottom 3 to be a less obvious set of clubs too.

Not sure it'll be that good a return with an imminent points deduction looming and having to sell some key players to bring the money in. 

Gonna have to have a very good summer recruiting... 

One thing I respect about Leicester is how the likes of Vardy, Dewsbury-Hall, Ndidi, Ricardo, Justin etc stuck around to get the club back up.

I don’t know how much the club needed the money from the Maddison sale and maybe that plays a role in him leaving but it does leave a bit of a stain when players who should have kept the club up, much like Tielemans, jump ship

• Administrator
36 minutes ago, Danny said:

One thing I respect about Leicester is how the likes of Vardy, Dewsbury-Hall, Ndidi, Ricardo, Justin etc stuck around to get the club back up.

I don’t know how much the club needed the money from the Maddison sale and maybe that plays a role in him leaving but it does leave a bit of a stain when players who should have kept the club up, much like Tielemans, jump ship

We definitely did need the money but losing Tielemans on a free was bad management from us. Same as Soyuncu too. 

32 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

@Stan, @Dan, at 37 years old do you think Vardy will still have it in him again mixing with the big boys, that guy is unreal and was always a thorn in our sides when he played against United, he got a brace the other night.

Yep. I'd love him to stay. Not ready for him to leave if he does this summer. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

The Tielemans situation was a pretty good encapsulation of everything that has played out here in the last few years in that he was very good sometimes, ultimately didn't commit to us after the FA Cup win and at that point we should've been looking to sell even if it would've been an unpopular decision. He ended up running his contract down, going for nothing and was largely disappointing in the final two years anyway, so keeping him gained us absolutely nothing.

Vardy will stay and at this point I think it's a bit of a no brainer providing the wages are a bit more manageable. I don't think in our situation you can just overlook him getting 18 goals in this league. That's more than he got in 2014 when we got promoted and he was the focal point of everything that year.

This last couple of weeks has been very enjoyable. After the Plymouth game I really did think we were bust and stuck in the Championship for the foreseeable, going very much the same way as last years side where they crumble under the pressure. We have been let off the hook somewhat by the dip in form of Leeds and Ipswich, but they did step up in the last few games as well. Worthy winners in the end.

I'm under no illusions that next season is going to be for the faint hearted. It's going to be pretty brutal. The hierarchy here haven't exactly done a lot to earn any trust this season. I don't think they're just going to get smart all of a sudden. But hopefully Maresca and our recruitment team can work a few bits of magic. We're almost certainly going to be hit with a points deduction and we're going to have to make some fairly substantial sales soon just to ensure we don't face further punishments. But I would imagine they will see what pans out with Everton and Forest before committing to anything. We're going to make some pretty unpopular decisions in the next couple of months, but ones as a result of our own mismanagement (and the rules which are obviously nonsense as well for what it's worth). Dewsbury-Hall almost certainly will be sold and others will follow. I've got this vision that we end up buying Fatawu and immediately having to sell him.

Feels like a job done to me rather than anything groundbreaking. I'd look over to Ipswich for that kind of thing. But the last couple of games against Southampton and Preston were two of the most enjoyable I've been to in years and I'm glad we've got some proper memories out of it.

Fair play to Leicester, got nothing but good words to say. They have proved to be the most consistant and got over the line when it counted. Can't really remember them being out the Top 2 long at any point over the course of the season and if you end the season with 100pts, it definitely proves you're worthy winners.

I think in retrospect given how young and inexperienced our team are (2nd youngest squad in the league) it's shown at various times this season, especially in the games we've had lumps kicked out of us and teams have shithoused. We just haven't handled those niggly encounters too well.

And also down the home straight, the lack of experience in our team has been evident in that they haven't quite been able to handle the pressure and expectancy levels our club carries. Leicester's team carry a lot more experience and know how for me and thst stuff cannot be underated in the Championship.

The only thing that I find a little bit weird with Leicester has been the reaction of some of the players/club after promotion. I get the game is about a bit of fun and banter but it's come across that they feel a bit triggered by us, whether that was because we beat them twice or nearly pipped them to promotion, not sure.

I get some of our fanbase (more so your typical social media one's) can be absolute gobshites so fans having fun, no problem. But the actual players and club using the 'I predict a riot' against us, a song we play after every home game, seems odd behaviour. 

Seen so many videos across social media mocking us in particular, even at Leicester's own players awards which feels odd behaviour, I just kinda feel in these moments, enjoy what you've achieved and don't worry about us.

Maybe it's a back handed compliment, not sure but feels a bit weird considering there hasn't really been much words swapped between the clubs over the course of the season. 

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
38 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Fair play to Leicester, got nothing but good words to say. They have proved to be the most consistant and got over the line when it counted. Can't really remember them being out the Top 2 long at any point over the course of the season and if you end the season with 100pts, it definitely proves you're worthy winners.

I think in retrospect given how young and inexperienced our team are (2nd youngest squad in the league) it's shown at various times this season, especially in the games we've had lumps kicked out of us and teams have shithoused. We just haven't handled those niggly encounters too well.

And also down the home straight, the lack of experience in our team has been evident in that they haven't quite been able to handle the pressure and expectancy levels our club carries. Leicester's team carry a lot more experience and know how for me and thst stuff cannot be underated in the Championship.

The only thing that I find a little bit weird with Leicester has been the reaction of some of the players/club after promotion. I get the game is about a bit of fun and banter but it's come across that they feel a bit triggered by us, whether that was because we beat them twice or nearly pipped them to promotion, not sure.

I get some of our fanbase (more so your typical social media one's) can be absolute gobshites so fans having fun, no problem. But the actual players and club using the 'I predict a riot' against us, a song we play after every home game, seems odd behaviour. 

Seen so many videos across social media mocking us in particular, even at Leicester's own players awards which feels odd behaviour, I just kinda feel in these moments, enjoy what you've achieved and don't worry about us.

Maybe it's a back handed compliment, not sure but feels a bit weird considering there hasn't really been much words swapped between the clubs over the course of the season. 

That game at Elland Road seemed to be the big moment.

It reminded me of Arsenal's team selfie they took in their dressing room after they beat us in 2016, as if the title was won that day. And as if there was a bit of arrogance about it. Seen plenty of Leeds fans carry a lot of sour grapes because you beat us and Ipswich twice and using that as a stick to beat us with but ultimately it's not just those games that count.

Also you've not mentioned Rutter saying 'we are the best team' after that victory, but the job wasn't fully done. That is also instigating a lot of the response you've seen in the last few days - you can't say you're the best team and then not win the league, or not even get automatics. Obviously in the moment emotions run high but he/the team haven't backed up the 'best team' after that game.

Don't necessarily like the player's singing it at the awards night so agree with you on that. But against Preston it was valid given we'd just won the league. As the best team :ph34r:

As you say, some of the fans on social media have the loudest voices but not necessarily carry the whole view of the fanbase - some of the Leeds' fan reactions have been just as bad as our fans relishing in seeing the job off in the end. 

Tielemans did seem strange for a while. I generally do think when a player starts sulking to leave, which it seemed from what I read & saw, it probably is best the player moves on fairly quickly. Regardless who it is, where they are, if it's seen as ok to seem like a selling club, etc.

His actual plan to get to Arsenal (..?) didn't work out, likely because he seemed in such bad form for so long & who knows how much was because he was playing with an attitude that he thought he should have already got his Kante or Maguire move.

And then instead just kind of ending up being washed up on the shores at Villa Park.. looking to get back to doing Leicester style antics.

Or at least that's how it all seemed to me.

So yes, Tielemans, any similar cases, bad management & not replacing Kasper Schmeichel were bad, but at most should have been a slump to the 9th to 14th range. From where they were.