talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

(QF) England (p)1-1 Switzerland - Saturday 6th July, 2024

I’m really not an England fan at all but it was really nice to see Bukayo Saka score his penalty. The abuse he suffered in 2021 was a disgrace and he seems like a really sensible, likeable lad so seeing him do that was a nice moment. 

• Subscriber

Good penalties from England across the board, fair play.

Pickford might have saved one but he needs some ADHD tablets if there's another shootout. He was playing mind games but it's kinda pointless if you end up committing to a dive before the penalty is taken which he did on two of the others.

Not to go on about it, but France and England making it to the semis with their performances is absolutely vile. Knowing Southgate's luck, Turkey will go and beat Netherlands now.

Right now England are still a bunch of individuals. Southgate just can't seem to stumble on a fully functional lineup. 2 consecutive matches relying on someone pulling a rabbit out of a hat at just the right moment. And today they actually took penalties like players who expect to be on the winning side. It will get no easier. And it is 3 big semi finals from 4 tournaments. Unimaginable to me just a few years ago.

Imagine being proud of England. Some of the best footballers on the world and paid like it, only to play like this and fall upwards into wins. Pathetic, a stain on this tournament for neutrals. They should be smashing teams 3-0 easy, they are stocked with unbelievable talent at every position.

3 minutes ago, Spike said:

Imagine being proud of England. Some of the best footballers on the world and paid like it, only to play like this and fall upwards into wins. Pathetic, a stain on this tournament for neutrals. They should be smashing teams 3-0 easy, they are stocked with unbelievable talent at every position.

But does France get the same ire for the same exact circumstances?

15 minutes ago, Spike said:

Fucking Labour and that Stimmer guy

Just now, Happy Blue said:

Fucking Labour and that Stimmer guy

Mate you’re in more trouble than me when the UK goes down the loo next election when you vote in Farage, so careful going fishing with this bait.

30 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

But does France get the same ire for the same exact circumstances?

Like they say in american sports, banners fly forever.

If I was an english fan, I would celebrate those wins without any sign of shame.

Regarding France, I actually admire how much Deschamps changed the attitude of France´s national team. Especially considering the complete disaster of 2010. 

I find it extremely impressive to see how had these group of players work, covering an impressive ammount of yards and blocking lot of shots.

They play like Simeone´s Atlético and while it´s not pretty to see, I respect Deschamps leadership skills and the commitment from their players. 

1 hour ago, Gunnersaurus said:

Just so you know @Tommy I love you but I've consumed by body weight in alcohol 

Are you singing SWEEEEEET CAROLIIINE? Why are the English so obsessed with that song? Every time I walk in the city where the English fans are, that's all you ever hear. xD

Anyway, congrats!

England are so weird this tournament. They obviously have the potential talent wise, but they only show it shortly before shit hits the fan. Why not show it before and secure an easier victory? 

2 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Are you singing SWEEEEEET CAROLIIINE? Why are the English so obsessed with that song? Every time I walk in the city where the English fans are, that's all you ever hear. xD

Good question.

As a baseball fan, I associate "Sweet Caroline" with the Boston Red Sox.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Southgate injuring Kane might be the best piece of management he's done all tournament. Not sure about the timing of it right before the shootout though. Might actually have been useful.

😂

3 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

God there is no fucking justice in the world is there?

I'm baffled that they had Jeff Jarrett lose in the first round of the Owen Hart after he gave the most emotive promo we will see in a very long time, but this is the wrong thread.

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, El Profesor said:

Like they say in american sports, banners fly forever.

If I was an english fan, I would celebrate those wins without any sign of shame.

Regarding France, I actually admire how much Deschamps changed the attitude of France´s national team. Especially considering the complete disaster of 2010. 

I find it extremely impressive to see how had these group of players work, covering an impressive ammount of yards and blocking lot of shots.

They play like Simeone´s Atlético and while it´s not pretty to see, I respect Deschamps leadership skills and the commitment from their players. 

He thinks Simeone is a football terrorist so that’s a bad comparison 

Also I think if you win, you should in style otherwise what’s the point, especially with international footy, club I can see the reasoning 

Edited by Spike

8 minutes ago, Spike said:

He thinks Simeone is a football terrorist so that’s a bad comparison 

Also I think if you win, you should in style otherwise what’s the point, especially with international footy, club I can see the reasoning 

I remember how frenzied England fans were in 2018 and 2020, honestly I think the only reason they're not jumping up and down doing the Poznan now is they know how this ends. In 2018 and 2020 there was genuine hope. 'All we have to do is beat Croatia, and we're in the final and anything can happen, or oh hey we're in the final against Italy, anything can happen' and on both occasions (and in 2022) England folded at the first real resistance they faced. This time around we're not subject to the 'It's coming home' rhetoric because everyone has been pavlovian conditioned to know how this ends. At some point England will face a competent team with stars in most positions, and they will lose the game and the tournament. It's just a matter of time. Barely scraping past Slovakia and Switzerland is fine if you can believe you're still in it to win it. The English fans now know better than that. They're here to play gash footy and make up the numbers until the Netherlands or Spain bundle them out with an economy of effort.

• Subscriber

Feel a bit weird commenting on it because I only saw part of it - the first 70 minutes, missed both goals and everything afterwards. From what I saw - it looked another typical international tournament game, horrid and cagey, but I think probably changing the system is what's carried England here. I think if we'd set up in the normal way they'd have beaten us quite comfortably. Maybe the penny has dropped.