• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Group A Matchday 1 - 14/15 June

football forum

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Blue said:

He flat out admitted he is trying to ridicule me - and in no moment have I given the Saudis any bit of credit. That's an unnecessart misinterpretation from you lot.

I said several times the Saudi's are shit but they would not have lost 5-0 if Pizzi actually read the game. The approach never changed once despite it not working. I still think they were going to lose, I've said this several times. Just not by as bad a scoreline as that.

Read carefully through each one of your posts mate... It looked like you were trying to ridicule other people in the sense of there was some sort of tactical answer for being god damned shit.

I can guarantee you that Machado wasn't at any moment trying to ridicule you it just got to a point where he started having fun with the situation which is something completely different.

44 minutes ago, Machado said:

To ridicule your arrogance and unfair criticism of a manager and of a group of players that really don't know any better than this.

You can't expect them to suddenly perform at the same level as a side who has huge amount of experience in European football.

This isn't FM. You can't just apply tactics to fix everything.

@SirBalon 

When I get posts like that, don't expect me to speak respectfully.

And I have read all my posts and I know best what I'm saying, you and Machado are just choosing to misinterpret me.

Saudis are shit, but if Pizzi actually read the game well, it wasn't ending 5-0. Maybe 3-0 or 4-1 but not 5.

• Administrator
Just now, Blue said:

@SirBalon 

And I have read all my posts and I know best what I'm saying, you and Machado are just choosing to misinterpret me.

Saudis are shit, but if Pizzi actually read the game well, it wasn't ending 5-0. Maybe 3-0 or 4-1 but not 5.

you can, rise above it :) 

Just now, Stan said:

you can, rise above it :) 

I want to debate football though, just don't expect me to speak respectfully! xD

• Administrator
Just now, Blue said:

I want to debate football though, just don't expect me to speak respectfully! xD

you can :) 

No need for any disrespect on either side. If you find you're not getting anywhere with him, then leave it. 

With the number of basic individual errors on display here, I don't think the tactics mattered one bit. Russia was going to comfortably win this. Saudi Arabia could have played ugly football and tried to be as best organised as they could muster. I still think the number of errors we saw tonight would mean we'd still see quite a few errors from them and they'd still lose by 2-0 or more. But it wouldn't be a good performance either, sure their goal difference was better, but I think the only side they've got a chance against in their group is Egypt. And I don't think they'll beat Egypt.

If Panama are worse than them, that's fairly fucking impressive from Panama. I cannot wait to be stunned with how bad some World Cup sides are in Qatar with the bigger number of sides... although I think a better solution would be to scrap that plan and ban Infantino from being president of FIFA or making important decisions for anybody or anything ever again.

5 minutes ago, Blue said:

@SirBalon 

Honestly!  Read his comment properly and try to stop taking things so personally. The word "ridicule" in Machado's post means something COMPLETELY different to how you're interpreting it. It's a total reference to you seeming to be smart in the sense of there being an answer to what was essentially a joke from Saudi Arabia's presence in that game. Machado is probably also taking into account how good Russia actually are which is more than probably not very good at all.

3 minutes ago, Blue said:

@SirBalon 

Aight, he didn't read the game well, according to.... you.

Sorry but you're not some sort of tactical genius that could have made Saudi players perform any better here. They're just way worse footballers. The arrogance in thinking you could is what is funny here.

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

With the number of basic individual errors on display here, I don't think the tactics mattered one bit.

Thats the issue though, why do you think those individual errors were happening?

If a player misplaces a pass, ok then its the players fault, not the manager. However, what I saw is good narrow attacking play and bad positioning. What were the Saudis doing? They were playing it out wide, consistently losing the ball, and playing it from the back when they could have cleared it. It doesn't take quality to kick a ball across the field, it does take quality to play it from the back on the floor.

If you are misplacing a pass, that's out of the managers control, but if the error is due to your instructions, then it is your fault because you're failing to understand the basics of what the player is not capable of. He can't play it from the back, ok what's the plan B? There was no plan B in this case.

Its not rocket science, I'm not having a pop at you but the errors came from poor instructions. He was going to lose today but if he had drilled his side better it wouldn't have been as embarrassing.

1 minute ago, Machado said:

Sorry but you're not some sort of tactical genius that could have made Saudi players perform any better here. They're just way worse footballers. The arrogance in thinking you could is what is funny here.

Yeah it was clear that the Russian players could read the game much better and they were always there to capitalise on the mistakes of players they recognised were much worse. They could afford to let Saudi Arabia try to play and make errors - even if Saudi Arabia played ugly defensive football and sat back, giving Russia all of the ball, the odds are very high they'd still make mistakes and let Russia score.

It's not like we've never seen a side in the World Cup be totally outclassed and out of their depth against a much better side. It's just today we saw a side that... I don't think many people think is that great... against the worst ranked side in the World Cup; so people are a bit surprised that the gulf in quality exists between their side and Russia, who nobody's really thinking is great.

5 minutes ago, Machado said:

Who said I was a tactical genius :dam:literally all I said was it wouldn't have ended 5-0 if Pizzi had drilled his side better and had a plan B. Hardly an outrageous opinion. 

It doesn't take an intelligent brain to see the issues in the approach. Keep misinterpreting my opinion though if you want to fuel your weird dislike of me.

Just now, Blue said:

Thats the issue though, why do you think those individual errors were happening?

Because players that are less good against better sides generally constantly make mistakes. Have you never seen that before? I've seen that before even with shite sides that are trying to park the bus, but they just can't keep their calm when the other side has the ball constantly.

8 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

I bet @SirBalon and @The Rebel CRS are thrilled for their boy Cheryshev. xD

To be honest and talking seriously... A lot was expected from Cheryshev as a teenager.  It didn't help him that his apparition in the Madrid academy coincided with a philosophy based on 'Galacticos' because he could've been special. I think his confidence just dissipated to be honest. 

Just now, Blue said:

Who said I was a tactical genius :dam:literally all I said was it wouldn't have ended 5-0 if Pizzi had drilled his side better and had a plan B. Hardly an outrageous opinion. 

It doesn't take an intelligent brain to see the issues in the approach. Keep misinterpreting my opinion though if you want to fuel your weird dislike of me.

I agree he could have kept the score down if he'd played defensively. But I can't see Russia not winning comfortably even had they done that. Likewise, I think if they let any side in the groups they face have the ball too much - these players won't be able to cope with the constant pressure (and fatigue from not having the ball). They'll make mistakes.

Saudi Arabia's strengths to me look like they've got a lot of pace about them and they did work very hard going forward... but they're just devoid of quality. They're so sloppy on the ball, their defensively poor, even the goalkeeper looked awful so I don't think you can throw everything on the failure to park the bus. Even with an easy group, I think they don't have a hope in hell against any of their opponents. Especially not Uruguay.

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

I agree he could have kept the score down if he'd played defensively. But I can't see Russia not winning comfortably even had they done that. Likewise, I think if they let any side in the groups they face have the ball too much - these players won't be able to cope with the constant pressure (and fatigue from not having the ball). They'll make mistakes.

Saudi Arabia's strengths to me look like they've got a lot of pace about them and they did work very hard going forward... but they're just devoid of quality. They're so sloppy on the ball, their defensively poor, even the goalkeeper looked awful so I don't think you can throw everything on the failure to park the bus. Even with an easy group, I think they don't have a hope in hell against any of their opponents. Especially not Uruguay.

I didn't say play defensively, I said play to their strengths which I agree with your analysis of that. 

They have good passing up front, so they could have cleared it from the back and kept it on the floor in the opposition half. If they had done just that as well as provided basic cover for the full backs, it wouldn't have ended 5-0 without even needing to play defensively. I agree the Saudi's have little quality, but all players have their strengths. The one who has to understand that is the manager, and he played them as if they were world class which hugely exposed them.

Again, its not rocket science. I looked deeper into the game and I saw those 3 errors, which aren't down to the players. Individual errors are another field that is out of the control of the manager, but if you're provoking them then ultimately its not their fault, its yours.

Saudi Arabia are just shite. No other way around it.

It was an enjoyable game. There have been far worst opening matches, not just in WC, but in Euros as well.

I still expect both Uruguay and Egypt to go through. 

2 minutes ago, Blue said:

I didn't say play defensively, I said play to their strengths which I agree with your analysis of that. 

They have good passing up front, so they could have cleared it from the back and kept it on the floor in the opposition half. If they had done just that as well as provided basic cover for the full backs, it wouldn't have ended 5-0 without even needing to play defensively. I agree the Saudi's have little quality, but all players have their strengths. The one who has to understand that is the manager, and he played them as if they were world class which hugely exposed them.

Again, its not rocket science. I looked deeper into the game and I saw those 3 errors, which aren't down to the players. Individual errors are another field that is out of the control of the manager, but if you're provoking them then ultimately its not their fault, its yours.

You really believe after seeing Saudi Arabia that anything could've panned out differently for them with some sort of tactical magic?

How different could've have been without parking the bus because you said it needn't be reducing yourself to those kind of negative tactics?

Just now, SirBalon said:

You really believe after seeing Saudi Arabia that anything could've panned out differently for them with some sort of tactical magic?

How different could've have been without parking the bus because you said it needn't be reducing yourself to those kind of negative tactics?

Saying they would have lost 2-0 or 3-0 is hardly controversial.

And to answer your question, I'm telling you what I saw. A side devoid of quality being outdone even more by incompetent tactics. Again, hardly controversial.

Now it is even more obvious that never mind friendlies even qualifiers are irrelevant to the World Cup. The gap is too much.

Saudi Arabia finished ahead of Australia ! 

Mexico barely qualified for the last World Cup but perfomed beyond expectations.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived