talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Last movie you watched?

football forum

Cold Pursuit 2019

Saw on a Virgin channel yet don't remember this coming out.

Liam Neeson as a snow plough driver keeping the roads clear in Kehoe, he does such a good job he gets a citizens award yet on this night his son working in a warehouse is murdered.

The police say it is a drugs killing, adding his son was involved in drugs, he does not agree and his wife played by Laura Dern is more inclined to believe the police.

She wants to talk about grief he wants to know what happened so she leaves him.

He goes I think to his son's warehouse and decides to end it all using his hunting rifle, when from behind the boxes a battered friend of his late son comes out asking for money.

Neeson's character changes from self pity to revenge as he discovers his son was murdered. 

What starts to proceed is like a number of revenge movies as Neeson without finger cutting  gets the men that had a hand in his sons demise yet he is not satisfied with that yet wants the top man who is well protected. 

Mean while the gang has noticed some of their man have gone missing and using logic 2+2=5, decide it is the other reasonably local gang moving in on them and whack their gang member and publicly display his murdered body which crosses cultural sensitivities as they are not  your usual drugs gang.

So they plan revenge.

Neeson starts making plans too.

There are some funny moments, dark humour some say.

There are some touching moments.

Stylised killings as the gangs names are displayed as the body count goes up.

A strange yet unclear ending.

People say it is like Fargo or a Tarantino film, it has elements of this and a lot more influences too.

I would give it a 7/10.

• Upvote 1

On 11/07/2022 at 06:51, Devil said:

The Black Phone   6/10

Was really looking forward to this but found it all a bit slow paced and a bit boring. That said it was creepy and a pretty disturbing subject matter so it was worth the watch.

Thought it was alright too. Pushing it towards 7/10. 

Based on the tone and cast of the film I knew immediately it was the same director as Sinister. 

Bullet train  8/10

Basically a group of hitmen are all called to do a job each on the bullet train in Japan, without spoiling the movie it's action packed a funny at the same time.

Think Lock Stock and Snatch style humour but based in Japan with a mixture of different hitmen to keep you entertained.

• Upvote 1

On 16/08/2022 at 15:05, Gunnersaurus said:

Terminator genisys. 8/10 I actually really like this film. It got panned by everyone and the acting is bad but I liked it. I liked the twists and turns of it. 

I actually just finished rewatching all Terminator movies. Prompted by Dark Fate being on TV the other week.

None of the others have ever really competed with Judgement Day's movie magic. In its era, it really was groundbreaking effects. With a great story & cast. But there are enjoyable aspects of all the others. And most of the bad reviews are just because they're not quite Terminator 2.

Edited by Reluctant Striker

On 13/08/2022 at 12:45, Mel81x said:

They probably want to expand the universe a bit and I can see why. It's actually quite easy to start using the era-sets to showcase variants of the Predator and how it evolves over time or possibly hierarchy as well. Much like they did with Alien and showing Xeno origins and how that intersected with the landing of the Nostromo in the first movie when they did the Prometheus arc. 

Just read that this species of Yautja in Prey is actually a weaker species found in the Predator franchise. Which makes sense as it appeared smaller and more naive. 

Also read that this completely abandons the AVP universe, to which I say THANK GOD. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Cicero said:

Just read that this species of Yautja in Prey is actually a weaker species found in the Predator franchise. Which makes sense as it appeared smaller and more naive. 

Also read that this completely abandons the AVP universe, to which I say THANK GOD. 

I thought the Alien hunt in the first AVP was half okay. Yeah it had humans which made it hilarious but I think a proper action sci-fi flick with them in it might have taken off. The problem is that Hollywood needs a face and that can't just be two monsters at the level of a Predator and a Xeno even though I believe the latter is one of the most iconic sci-fi monsters of all time.

1 minute ago, Mel81x said:

I thought the Alien hunt in the first AVP was half okay. Yeah it had humans which made it hilarious but I think a proper action sci-fi flick with them in it might have taken off. The problem is that Hollywood needs a face and that can't just be two monsters at the level of a Predator and a Xeno even though I believe the latter is one of the most iconic sci-fi monsters of all time.

I think a story that intertwines both is a complete disrespect to both of them. Each in their own right is brilliant and deserve their own story and universe. 

Edited by Cicero
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I think a story that intertwines both is a complete disrespect to both of them. Each in their own right is brilliant and deserve their own story and universe. 

It was an experiment and like you said I am glad its over because the Deacon in Prometheus is where I drew the line of how much of garbage Hollywood was really willing to shove down our throats. Then they did Covenant and I said that was the right thing to do even if the evolutionary pattern was one of the most oddest things I saw. And the fact that Ridley Scott actually said yes to it made me think the man has lost the plot. 

On 12/08/2022 at 11:49, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Fright night (2011) 8/10

The movie is a thoroughly watchable, but easy throw away entertaining horror film. However, it does 2 things so outrageously well that it goes from a 6.5 to an 8. 

The film has a level of attention to detail and setup/payoff that is rare in cinema, genuinely on the level of a film like tremors in that regard. 

And secondly 

Colin Farrell fucking SLAYS as a creepy/sexy vampire. Born for it. He's a cunt talking about taming neglected women one second, then charming your pants off the next. It's outrageous how easily he kills this role. Elevates the movie. 

Just watched this. Agree with everything. Very entertaining.

Though, I’d have to put it at 7/10 myself. 

Also recently watched The Lost Boys & Dawn Of The Dead (78). Seen both before many times, and both are 9/10. 

Edited by Rick

5 hours ago, Rick said:

Just watched this. Agree with everything. Very entertaining.

Though, I’d have to put it at 7/10 myself. 

Also recently watched The Lost Boys & Dawn Of The Dead (78). Seen both before many times, and both are 9/10. 

On the whole I agree, it doesn't realllllly deserve the 8 I give it, but it scratches those particular itches I have already expanded on, which makes me forgive its failings more (like the underwhelming ending sequence)

• Upvote 1

On 22/08/2022 at 19:15, Mel81x said:

I quite liked that idea in AVP where the Pyramid starts moving and then they get to pick an item from a opening in a rock which triggers the game of Predator vs Alien. Of course it takes a while for the humans to work out what they have begun.

Thought the intro was good too as they recruit all these experts in their own fields and then take them to Antarctica to begin their search.

• Upvote 1

Everything Everywhere All At Once - 7.5/10

I don’t see it as the masterpiece plenty think it is, but it was really bloody good. Michelle Yeoh was excellent. 

The Fugitive - 10/10

Watched this for the hundredth time, and I still love it. It’s in my top five. 

Rewatched Full Metal Jacket the other night only the second time I watched and some thirty years later.

An unusual film almost two parts, the training with Marines being put through their paces by the excellent tough guy Ronald Ermey.

You could be forgiven for thinking the film was finished when private Pyle has his full metal jacket incident.

Then we get to see Vietnam where private Davis (Modine) is assigned to the Army press corp and it is here he fences cleverly and with  wit with his commander about the embellished content they are being asked to provide.

Eventually asking for a transfer to the front and off he goes at first all laughs and mutual backslapping until the VC advance and then it is a game of death and with snipers.

Davis wears a CND badge on his lapel much to the annoyance of some officers though he gets away with it as he has 'Born to Kill' inscribed on his helmet. 

His wit stays with him until the platoon eventually shoot a female VC sniper. They want to leave her mortally wounded and convusling and he does not.

They walk away and for the first moment in the film you sense Davis has lost his wit, he hesitates and then shoots and kills the woman.

My rating 8/10.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Watched 'Top Gun Maverick'

Didn't expect much from this but it surprised me... Very good, hard to tell what was real and what wasn't... 

This has to be my favourite scene in the whole film.. 8/10

Hide contents

What else did you watch recently? Anything "special"?  xD

• Haha 1