talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Royal Family

football forum

How do you feel about the monarchy?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the monarchy?

• Fine as it is.
    • Should be kept but needs significant alterations.
    • We should start to look into abolishing it.

13 minutes ago, Stan said:

Time? Time focusing on other things, being married to a royal, charity work? 

You don't even know her xD

Neither do I but 'woke' is just a word used as an alternative to 'I don't like her opinion so I'll stick a label on it'. 

much like Joe Biden and his maga republicans and extremist labels.   but she was whining about race despite nobody ever confusing her for being black.   her dad and sister are white, her children are white/mixed but will never be considered black because her dominant gene is her father's.  

anywho

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Danny said:

In normal families yeah, but when you’re the head of state with access to some of the worlds greatest intelligence agencies…not so much. I don’t believe in Santa, I don’t believe in the tooth fairy and I definitely don’t believe that the head of the most famous royal family in the world was completely oblivious to the fact that her son was heading off to shag a child island.

Does she reaaly have access though? That’s less believable for me, in fact I don’t believe that at all.

1 hour ago, Spike said:

Does she reaaly have access though? That’s less believable for me, in fact I don’t believe that at all.

She has the power to sack the PM and is the head of state, she’s not an old lady who just waved at people

16 minutes ago, Danny said:

She has the power to sack the PM and is the head of state, she’s not an old lady who just waved at people

She has the power but that was also cause a constitutional crisis, so she doesn't really have the power because of the deterrence of what would follow. It is a figurehead role that technically has power but has been put in such a delicate state that exercise of that power would only cause it's own demise. She was told what she need to be told, she wasn't sitting in on M15 meetings on how to undermine governments in Africa and exploit natural resources of foreign territories.

34 minutes ago, Spike said:

She has the power but that was also cause a constitutional crisis, so she doesn't really have the power because of the deterrence of what would follow. It is a figurehead role that technically has power but has been put in such a delicate state that exercise of that power would only cause it's own demise. She was told what she need to be told, she wasn't sitting in on M15 meetings on how to undermine governments in Africa and exploit natural resources of foreign territories.

No, but she still had access to information. There’s no way the Queen isn’t told that her son is noncing, she is again the head of state.

Just now, Danny said:

No, but she still had access to information. There’s no way the Queen isn’t told that her son is noncing, she is again the head of state.

Why would they tell her? What does it achieve for the intelligence agencies to reveal their secrets? I don't see any capacity that they would want or need to divulge any information of the sort to the Queen.

Personally I think her death is getting to much attention. It's not just me who thinks this others have the same view. I get that it's a major story but people are dying all over the world. Many much younger than she was including children. I think it's to much attention to give one person's death. The fact that she was lucky enough to be born into a royal family doesn't mean her life is worth more than anyone else's 

2 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

Personally I think her death is getting to much attention. It's not just me who thinks this others have the same view. I get that it's a major story but people are dying all over the world. Many much younger than she was including children. I think it's to much attention to give one person's death. The fact that she was lucky enough to be born into a royal family doesn't mean her life is worth more than anyone else's 

Yes, I feel uncertain where the line is.

I get the idea that to many, openly or grudgingly, the Royal Family become like a 3rd branch of people's family. You have a mothers side, a fathers side, at some point perhaps a set of in-laws.. 

But for the young & old especially I sense they have a role difficult to define.

And for all the time they are presented as they are, in the way that they are, it perhaps clouds & effects people's views of who our nations friends are. In a way that maybe isn't especially helpful. Yet, that doesn't really explain America.. with all it's popcorn movies, celebrity appeal & independence days.

News presenters in Portuguese national television wearing black ties in the day she passed. Is anyone in England grieving when our president passes away?

Strange how we seem to bow down to fucking foreign Royals. Excuse the language. Mildly annoyed.

1 hour ago, Machado said:

News presenters in Portuguese national television wearing black ties in the day she passed. Is anyone in England grieving when our president passes away?

Your Presidents are insignificant, just like King Charles Spaniel III will be :ph34r:

The Queen on the other hand by virtue of time and performance is one of if not the greatest celebrity figures of life. A PR genius. Formidable. 

In the last few days I've pondered whether a man could have been as successful as the Queen. My conclusion is that though not impossible it would be significantly less likely. The traits of the Queen, some personal some gender, have been spot on for what was needed.

The Monarchy is Manchester United. The next few appointments never to live up to it.

• Administrator
48 minutes ago, Honey Honey said:

In the last few days I've pondered whether a man could have been as successful as the Queen. My conclusion is that though not impossible it would be significantly less likely. The traits of the Queen, some personal some gender, have been spot on for what was needed.

Plus the longevity. The Queen built up her reputation over such a significant and considerable amount of time, living through several generation-changing moments. 

King Charles won't get the chance - 15 year reign perhaps?

Prince William will have more of a chance to make a legacy.

The Queen did come under criticism during the time of Princess Diana's death yet that aside is well thought of.

I recall she was present at the Thames around a celebration probably 2012 and she was waving to a flotilla of boats in atrocious weather and can remember respecting her staying out in the weather to do that.

She had a great work ethic and there was concern expressed when Harry went off with Megan whether William and Kate could handle this workload.

I do wonder with the pervasiveness of social media whether royals will be caught off guard and this will damage them.

Also the Queen came onto the throne in 1952, we were  an empire then although one on the decline, very different times.

Not sure I can recall overseas leaders getting black tie TV coverage on UK TV.

Personally? I have felt 'something' at the news of a broad range of foreign leaders. Gorbachev, Reagan & Mandela come to mind, as significant global figures of my lifetime.

How well the British are thought of, across most people's whole lifetimes, likely goes hand in hand with what is made of the Queen. In a way Charles may struggle to emulate.

• Administrator
38 minutes ago, Honey Honey said:

My jaw dropped at the way Charles handled a few pens being on the table during the proclamation. Not a good look at all. 

I found it amusing. Comical even. It's something petty but all he did was attempt to subtly tell someone to get the pens out the way xD. Why was it jaw-dropping?!

41 minutes ago, Honey Honey said:

My jaw dropped at the way Charles handled a few pens being on the table during the proclamation. Not a good look at all. 

1 minute ago, Stan said:

I found it amusing. Comical even. It's something petty but all he did was attempt to subtly tell someone to get the pens out the way

Just showing his lack of patience with the simple little things that could have been dealt with without the drama... Anyone would have thought it was a wasps nest on the table.. 

• Subscriber

I have always struggled to understand how in this day and age we still have hereditary monarchies historically derived from made up "divine rights of kings" and birthrights, aristocrats, ridiculous titles, and all the nonsensical royal protocols, ceremonies, rituals and what not, golden thrones and crowns and other regalia, and especially how so many people still support and emotionally engage in that. It's so odd to me to see some old man in the 21st century "ascend to the throne" surrounded by weirdos in wigs and medieval carnival costumes, while the peasants masses cry "God save the King" and clap and scream in ecstasy. Truly bizarre 😅 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Bluewolf said:

Just showing his lack of patience with the simple little things that could have been dealt with without the drama... Anyone would have thought it was a wasps nest on the table.. 

Bear in mind he's probably nervous as shit and heavily stressed, not to mention still grieving for his loss?!

Anyone can surely understand small things might trigger odd reactions in a state of nervousness/anxiety/stress? 

24 minutes ago, nudge said:

I have always struggled to understand how in this day and age we still have hereditary monarchies historically derived from made up "divine rights of kings" and birthrights, aristocrats, ridiculous titles, and all the nonsensical royal protocols, ceremonies, rituals and what not, golden thrones and crowns and other regalia, and especially how so many people still support and emotionally engage in that. It's so odd to me to see some old man in the 21st century "ascend to the throne" surrounded by weirdos in wigs and medieval carnival costumes, while the peasants masses cry "God save the King" and clap and scream in ecstasy. Truly bizarre 😅 

Explains why they still measure weight in stones though. 

• Subscriber
13 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Explains why they still measure weight in stones though. 

xD

It's not solely Great Britain to be fair, it's just that the recent events there reminded me of how odd it is. The first time I experienced something like that was in the Netherlands, when a non-Dutch friend of mine found out that the Queen Beatrix was visiting our university, and tried to drag me there to see her get out of the car, smile and wave to the masses, and then disappear into the building while the crowds were cheering her, and couldn't understand why I would reject the offer. In fact, she even got really pissed at me for daring to suggest that a Queen is just a simple human being like everyone else, who just happened to be born into royalty, and that I can think of at least a dozen better ways to spend my afternoon xD🤦🏻‍♀️

Archived