talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak

football forum

5 minutes ago, Stan said:

Precisely this.

I get the feeling they don't properly 'care' as such and are willing to let people take risks like pack public transport, so that Sky News can provide footage of buses emptying scores of people to further the government's agenda and support their notion that it will be the public that are at fault...

Nothing new there, after bumbling and plodding their way through this like an old black and white movie mummy they are now rushing with Usain Bolt type speed to get everything back on track... Sunday driver speed going into this and now it's Fast and The Furious coming out of it... A lot of councils are not happy about it either so expect this one to be another mish mash... 

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

Seriously how in the fuck did China go from having 100k cases to having zero when everyone else is not even coming close to replicating that level of success?

In reality how would anyone know what the real figures are for each country... Recording methods seem iffy at best across the board at the moment, Until you had 100% testing for everyone it's not possible to know the true figure other than through Hospitals and those that are getting tested... 

2 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

Why is it when Politicians can't agree on something it's called a heated debate and when the Teachers Union can't agree with them it's called Squabbling??? The return to school date for children is rumbling on with Miss ( don't mind the odd dodgy deal ) Anne Longfield leading the charge to return as a matter of urgency citing the health and well being of the most vulnerable. This is despite the fact that no other country has yet set a date for the kids to return?? why the rush I wonder?? 

Perhaps they need more parents free to get the economy back on track... That's right Government you keep pushing people back to work filling those buses and trains up choc full to the brim.. We will see this thing through no matter what with a bit of the old wartime spirit.. Well at least the general public will while the Government still work safely from home on conference calls and probably half a dozen test kits each tucked away in the drawer somewhere... 

Some media rhetoric is that they want to be hero’s, but those pesky unions keep preventing that..the complacency that is setting in feels maddening 

• Subscriber

I've had my say on the teachers thing enough times. The fact is that it's the union's job to protect their members and it's the government's job to convince the education sector as well as parents of these children that it is actually safe to get back to school and provide clear guidelines on how to do it safely, what you can do and what you can't. One of those institutions is doing their job and one of them isn't. Up to you to pick which one's which.

As for China. It's easy to forget what sort of country China is and while I'm far from one of the xenophobes who is using this crisis as evidence that they're trying to take over the world and enslave the white people or whatever the conspiracy theory is this week, China is still a one-party, communist state which can be heavily damaged by bad publicity. In media, China is portrayed as a pretty Westernised society which it is in many ways, but really isn't in many others.

Someone shared this video a couple of months back, it isn't new, but it's really unnerving and I haven't forgotten it since. I wouldn't place much faith in any news you get out of China, especially if the government is their source. Never forget the big story in January either about the bloke who tried to raise the alarm over this virus early on, was shut down by the government, and then died from it.

2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

I've had my say on the teachers thing enough times. The fact is that it's the union's job to protect their members and it's the government's job to convince the education sector as well as parents of these children that it is actually safe to get back to school and provide clear guidelines on how to do it safely, what you can do and what you can't. One of those institutions is doing their job and one of them isn't. Up to you to pick which one's which.

As for China. It's easy to forget what sort of country China is and while I'm far from one of the xenophobes who is using this crisis as evidence that they're trying to take over the world and enslave the white people or whatever the conspiracy theory is this week, China is still a one-party, communist state which can be heavily damaged by bad publicity. In media, China is portrayed as a pretty Westernised society which it is in many ways, but really isn't in many others.

Someone shared this video a couple of months back, it isn't new, but it's really unnerving and I haven't forgotten it since. I wouldn't place much faith in any news you get out of China, especially if the government is their source. Never forget the big story in January either about the bloke who tried to raise the alarm over this virus early on, was shut down by the government, and then died from it.

The reality can be frightening... 

23 hours ago, Harry said:

Seriously how in the fuck did China go from having 100k cases to having zero when everyone else is not even coming close to replicating that level of success?

It’s called “lying to the rest of the world”

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

It’s called “lying to the rest of the world”

Even if you subscribe to the theory that they hugely underreported the initial deaths, which has 33k dead not 3k. And using a death rate of 1% that makes 3.3m cases, but is that the lie we are talking about? Or are we suggesting the lie is happening now?

Surely will be hard to keep a lid on such a lie as outbreaks trends to become noticeable

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

Even if you subscribe to the theory that they hugely underreported the initial deaths, which has 33k dead not 3k. And using a death rate of 1% that makes 3.3m cases, but is that the lie we are talking about? Or are we suggesting the lie is happening now?

Surely will be hard to keep a lid on such a lie as outbreaks trends to become noticeable

I don’t know I just don’t trust the Chinese numbers at all considering we know they spend months trying to hide any sort of outbreak. Their take on what’s happening with the virus is all about imaging and saving face, so they can tell their people that they weren’t the ones who started the disease and it wasn’t the CCP’s fault.

• Subscriber
13 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

This debate is honestly set to catch fire. The Sun article today about teachers "betraying" vulnerable kids by not reopening schools when schools have literally been kept the fuck open for vulnerable kids and children of key workers has caused outrage from teachers. Michael Gove, the most hated politician in the education sector, is now lying on national television about the situation.

I'd fucking love nothing less than to be able to get back in front of a class on Monday rather than spending another 7 hour day sat on my laptop on my own in my bedroom waiting for kids to start submitting work off the video lessons I've spent my Sunday night putting together and trying to mark their work by typing on a word document, and feeling a misplaced sense of guilt when half of them show no engagement for another week without me being able to anything about it before people like me get accused by Brexity twatwits on social media and the Daily Mail of refusing to provide the kids with an education and that maybe the threat of a pay cut would change our mind. It's absolutely fucking disgusting. No wonder teachers in other countries look at the UK and are absolutely mystified by how professions like ours along with nurses, doctors, carers, police are regarded with such venom by the general public.

I want like everyone else for my job to go back to normal but wanting something and it being the best thing to do aren't the same thing and it's yet another unsurprising embarrassment that the British public are incapable of grasping this simple fact.

• Upvote 3

• Administrator
2 hours ago, LFCMike said:

The umpteenth contradiction by a politician during their shambolic handling of this crisis and it'll just shamefully get thrown under the carpet and escape people's minds that any of them ever happened. And if it doesn't escape their minds, you'll just get the excuse of 'they're in an unprecedented situation, don't be so harsh on them'. Fuck off. They're the ones in charge and making all the calls therefore they are equally in a position to be held accountable for it and be highlighted as to how they're handling it. 

You can bet your house and all your life's possessions that if it was a Labour government making these calls they wouldn't be so sympathetic...

• Administrator

UK providing £84m of funding towards a new vaccine.

UK has 170 deaths. Despite being lowest figure since March, has to be taken in to account that weekends usually have lower numbers. But having said that, as anyone who follows Professor Karol Sikora on Twitter would know, it's important to look at trends for specific days over the last few weeks which gives a clearer picture. 

Spain has has under 100 deaths which is a big milestone when you think how bad their outbreak was in that country.

USA has 1394 deaths in past 24 hours.

Remember when I said that the Welsh Government have a habit of doing things differently for no real reason other than 'to be the first' or 'to stick it to Westminster', even if it makes no sense whatsoever? 

Wales decided to go its own way in regards to an online portal for booking coronavirus tests for key workers due to the system 'having limited value' as it would only provide information on whether someone had a test. This is despite Scotland and Northern Ireland signing up to the UK wide system. 

The Welsh Government has now decided that 'data issues' have now been resolved and will now scrap its own online portal in favour of the UK Government system. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-52697923

When asked about the length of time spent setting up the website, Vaughan Gething mentioned in the article that he was 'really not bothered about getting into how much we spent on developing a different portal at a point in time'. 

So that's time and likely money wasted for a system to now be scrapped and not giving a rat's arse. :dam: 

I wonder if this gets brought up in my meeting tomorrow regarding the Amazon link as I think my system was meant to link in with them for demographic reason. 

28 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

To get kids immune or the wider community?

Herd immunity. They want to cocoon the vulnerable (the tactic that argubly didn't work in Sweden) whilst slowly infecting the community in a so called managed way with kids and their parents being considered as the utilitarian target.

What is often forgotten is that the reason for lockdown in the west was not to stop the virus it was to prevent the health care service collapsing. 

Now health care hasn't collapsed the argument should be returning to a question of do you spread death out over time (Sweden, Netherlands) or is there a case for complete suppression (New Zealand, South Korea).

The UK is so culturally toxic that we'll probably not have that conversation publicly, I expect the government will attempt some sort of PR balance.

27 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

What is often forgotten is that the reason for lockdown in the west was not to stop the virus it was to prevent the health care service collapsing. 

And by doing this, far far more people will have now been affected by it than the virus itself.

It's hard to find a balance. If you don't take a virus seriously when it first breaks out in a country, then there is no right way, as there are negatives and very little positives to whichever measures are taken by that point.

You go back to normal, far too many die, you have constant lockdowns, you create mental health problems and millions of unemployed and when in that position, death is sometimes a better option in this world. It's impossible to find that balance now and this will go on for fucking years, guaranteed.

Edited by Carnivore Chris

A lass I used to know when I was younger has recently just found her 16 year old son hanging. Fucking horrible news. I didn't know him personally(not like that matters) but I knew his mother from when I was younger and she lived near me. It makes you wonder if this has any relation to the current situation?

I mean suicide is scarily high among young males in this country as it is, but it makes you wonder what role this could have played. It's absolutely dreadful news either way, no young lad should be taking their life.

• Like 1

• Subscriber

Herd immunity has become a dirty word in the UK after how it was inherently linked to the idea of letting it burn through the population and the reported Cummings line of letting a few pensioners die.

Without a vaccine, and now that we know you will achieve immunity if you catch it, I'm afraid it's becoming apparent that more people getting it, recovering and gaining immunity is the primary way to move forward.

The countries that have gone for complete suppression (the Isle of Man have done so that includes me) surely can't risk opening their borders up again until there's a vaccine? Such a headache.