talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Off Topic

football forum

32 minutes ago, Spike said:

Any of you blokes done an apprenticeship before?

I haven't, but my dads a baker and has hired 1-year apprentices before giving them jobs as bakers.

I don't know what you're looking into, like the job of the field. But if you've got questions about apprenticeship generally, I can ask him if you want.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I haven't, but my dads a baker and has hired 1-year apprentices before giving them jobs as bakers.

I don't know what you're looking into, like the job of the field. But if you've got questions about apprenticeship generally, I can ask him if you want.

For instance, 'how the fuck do I get to be an apprentice if all the apprenticeships require two years of apprenticeship experience?" lmao

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

For instance, 'how the fuck do I get to be an apprentice if all the apprenticeships require two years of apprenticeship experience?" lmao

I'd just apply for them anyways, but I'm one of those people that applies to jobs thinking the "requirements" are mostly optional. I've gotten jobs I technically wasn't qualified for despite the listed requirements - if you've got enough about your CV/application to suggest that while you might not meet the criteria listed, you'd still be a good fit you might get an interview.

At the interview just be ready to explain why the fuck you applied without having all the "requisite experience."

For your situation, I'd point to other work experience you've had that demonstrates you've got skills that will cross over well to the apprenticeship.

I'll ask my dad as well though, but I'm fairly certain the apprentices he's hired are all getting their first taste of professional baking with no prior experience. But it's probably good to double check that... and also to see if my advice is applicable to apprenticeships.

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I'd just apply for them anyways, but I'm one of those people that applies to jobs thinking the "requirements" are mostly optional. I've gotten jobs I technically wasn't qualified for despite the listed requirements - if you've got enough about your CV/application to suggest that while you might not meet the criteria listed, you'd still be a good fit you might get an interview.

At the interview just be ready to explain why the fuck you applied without having all the "requisite experience."

For your situation, I'd point to other work experience you've had that demonstrates you've got skills that will cross over well to the apprenticeship.

I'll ask my dad as well though, but I'm fairly certain the apprentices he's hired are all getting their first taste of professional baking with no prior experience. But it's probably good to double check that... and also to see if my advice is applicable to apprenticeships.

Just fucking sick to shite of being a barista, mate. I need something 'real' I need a skill.

12 minutes ago, Spike said:

Just fucking sick to shite of being a barista, mate. I need something 'real' I need a skill.

Any particular field you're looking to getting into? Once you've found a field/industry you want to get into, the next step is just establishing a good foundation you can point to that can help you land an entry level spot.

I know you're in the US, so something to consider is checking if the local community colleges have any "professional certificate" programs.

I'd see if they do, see what those programs are, and email some professors/instructors for the required courses and ask them a few questions. With community colleges a lot of the professors actually work in the field as opposed to being full time teachers - you can explain your situation and ask whether the certificate would be useful to someone looking to break into that industry. And if it is, keep in touch as you're getting the certificate and pick their brains about how to best get the job.

Keep in mind that who you know is just as important as what you know, even though it shouldn't be. And in that regard, having someone who's taught you & knows you are determined to break into the field, have a good work ethic, and are someone they like... it can definitely help you land a job (it did with me right out of school).

And shit like that can help you break into a new field despite a lack of real world experience in the field.

And the head of IT where I work got into IT despite no degree from a uni by getting a professional certificate from a community college. He started somewhere else at an entry level job and he's done alright for himself I'd say.

• Upvote 1

I got my most recent job despite not having a lot of the requirements, probably 50%. They were never going to get someone with the skill set they asked for and the salary they were offering so they had to lower then expectations and ended up with me xD

The criteria for a job is a list of things they want, not necessarily what they will get!

How many apprentices have two years apprenticeship experience already? I doubt many do so the applicants will be people like you applying. If you have over half of the criteria go for it.

Edited by Marc
  • Upvote 2

https://www.skiddle.com/whats-on/Lancaster/The-Ashton-Memorial/Highest-Point/12974603/

957723_2_highest-point-festival_400.jpg

This looks class. It's in a park that is about 10 mins walk from where I live. I might have to get on that.

I might have to hit the Drum n Bass night on the friday, which is in a week this Friday.

Edited by The Rebel CRS

2 hours ago, Batard said:

I love being a parent. But fucking hell, two nights of almost no sleep is a crime against humanity!

Stop being a pussy.... xD We had 4 and I never moaned once!! not once I tell ya!!! 

Admittedly I worked a lot of nights over the years which also equals a lot of sleeping through the daytime when they were younger and she also used to take them out a lot over the park and to her nans so I could get some sleep but even so..

Stop being a pussy!!  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Spike said:

@Toinho which are your favourite Aussie bands? Gone on a bit of a binge today on Aussie music. 

Great question. I still live very much in the past for music. Love old school Silverchair. Bit of Grinspoon/Powderfinger doesn't hurt either. Wolfmother's debut album is almost perfection. Airbourne, Rose Tattoo and AC/DC for hard rock. 

Recent stuff I like, and quite a change in my musical tastes, would be bands like The Rubens and Flight Facilities, but I haven't heard more than a couple of songs from either. 

Edited by Toinho

29 minutes ago, True Blue said:

I hate going shopping with the missus, one of the worst things i have to do as a couple.

Without a doubt that's a whole different ball game to shopping where us men are concerned. xD

Just now, SirBalon said:

Without a doubt that's a whole different ball game to shopping where us men are concerned. xD

When i want to buy something i tell myself, i need a shirt and i need shoes. I go and bloody buy them, with the missus i go for that but have to try every single thing 50 times. And on top of it all you "are not interested" quote kills me.

28 minutes ago, True Blue said:

When i want to buy something i tell myself, i need a shirt and i need shoes. I go and bloody buy them, with the missus i go for that but have to try every single thing 50 times. And on top of it all you "are not interested" quote kills me.

Yeah it tends to be the case. Not all women are like that though, but it does seem to be the case with many.  I, like you, know what I'm going out to buy although these days I tend to purchase most clothing online.  But when I do go out to buy clothing to a shop I know before hand what I'm going out there for, even the colour. The only thing that remains is to try it on depending the brand or the cut you may need to change your usual size. I then don't dilly dally around the shops to se if I like something else. xD

As for women playing the guilt trip trick... Hahaha... Mate, that isn't just down to going shopping.  :|

6 minutes ago, Spike said:

@Dr. Gonzo does your family have ties with Zoroastrianism?

Not that I know of, other than the link between ancient Persia and modern day Persians. Things like Nowruuz (the Perisan new year) and traditions like Chaharshanbe Suri (which is celebrated on the Wednesday before the Persian new year) are old Zoroastrian traditions that Persians have kept in our culture despite the Arab conquest of Persia & Islam becoming the main religion in the area. With Chaharshanbe Suri it's particularly easy to see the connection with Zoroastrianism because it involves jumping over flames for rebirth.

But that's not really a personal link my family has with the religion at all. It's sort of just something all Persians have with that being part of the history of Persians.

I've got a historical interest in Zoroastrianism because of it's historical ties to the Iran and the three Abrahamic religions. My family is pretty secular though, my grandparents were a bit more traditional "Muslims" but my Iranian granddad drank and ate pork all the fucking time when he was still alive. And I've seen my granny have wine. So they weren't at all particularly devout with those types of restrictions or anything like that. I wouldn't say that any member of my family is especially religious in any way though - the closest on either side would be my grandparents.

But I know that in Iran there's something of a Zoroastrian "revival" - sort of based in politics (well not sort of, it's rooted in politics), they're embracing ethnic Iranian history and politically rejecting the Islamic Republic. I suspect it's either tied to people who've been brought up to be religious but want to rebel, or it's mainly symbolic rather than an actual rebirth of the old religion... but that's just speculation tbh.

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Not that I know of, other than the link between ancient Persia and modern day Persians. Things like Nowruuz (the Perisan new year) and traditions like Chaharshanbe Suri (which is celebrated on the Wednesday before the Persian new year) are old Zoroastrian traditions that Persians have kept in our culture despite the Arab conquest of Persia & Islam becoming the main religion in the area. With Chaharshanbe Suri it's particularly easy to see the connection with Zoroastrianism because it involves jumping over flames for rebirth.

But that's not really a personal link my family has with the religion at all. It's sort of just something all Persians have with that being part of the history of Persians.

I've got a historical interest in Zoroastrianism because of it's historical ties to the Iran and the three Abrahamic religions. My family is pretty secular though, my grandparents were a bit more traditional "Muslims" but my Iranian granddad drank and ate pork all the fucking time when he was still alive. And I've seen my granny have wine. So they weren't at all particularly devout with those types of restrictions or anything like that. I wouldn't say that any member of my family is especially religious in any way though - the closest on either side would be my grandparents.

But I know that in Iran there's something of a Zoroastrian "revival" - sort of based in politics (well not sort of, it's rooted in politics), they're embracing ethnic Iranian history and politically rejecting the Islamic Republic. I suspect it's either tied to people who've been brought up to be religious but want to rebel, or it's mainly symbolic rather than an actual rebirth of the old religion... but that's just speculation tbh.

So what yer saying is; you don't fuck your sister? Anyway, it's probably a good thing that Iran is embracing Zoroastrianism to a degree, because as far as I know it isn't as soul-crushing as Revolutionary-Islam can be. At least, if you can stomach incest and leaving dead bodies in the sun for birds to devour.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Spike said:

So what yer saying is; you don't fuck your sister? Anyway, it's probably a good thing that Iran is embracing Zoroastrianism to a degree, because as far as I know it isn't as soul-crushing as Revolutionary-Islam can be. At least, if you can stomach incest and leaving dead bodies in the sun for birds to devour.

Yeah no incest as far as I know xD

I'd prefer more people going the route of not being fucking religious in Iran (and the Middle East in general).

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah no incest as far as I know xD

I'd prefer more people going the route of not being fucking religious in Iran (and the Middle East in general).

You have to get people onto a team, and Atheism is a lame team, mainly because it's the most insulting. Haha, you believe in an imaginary being in the sky. Well, since I'm an enlightened individual I suppose I will tolerate your nonsense. *tips fedora*