talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Off Topic

football forum

3 minutes ago, Spike said:

You have to get people onto a team, and Atheism is a lame team, mainly because it's the most insulting. Haha, you believe in an imaginary being in the sky. Well, since I'm an enlightened individual I suppose I will tolerate your nonsense. *tips fedora*

I mean, if you're on a team then there's a good chance that when you die you're going to be wrong. Even atheists might be wrong as fuck. But there's certain things in religion that I understand the purpose for - explaining things that just couldn't be explained at the time & keeping a form of social order and morality.

Nowadays, a lot of what couldn't be explained can be explained. And if you need stories and fables to explain to you what is good and bad... that's pretty concerning. And yeah there's a lot of stuff that still remains unexplained still. And a lot of it is interesting stuff to think about. And it can lead to interesting thoughts and discussion.

But when you're considering things like: why are we here? how did we get here? what's our purpose in life? what happens when we die? ... they're all interesting thoughts. And they can lead to existential crises to some people if there aren't any answers. And I can certainly see the reason why people would want these answers and have certain beliefs... because it's comforting.

But at the end of the day, we're not going to know any of the answers to any of this stuff either ever... or until we kick the bucket and see what the next stage is. Why are we here? I don't know... but also who cares? We are here, and we're going to keep being here until we stop being here. People don't need religion to be good people. And people would probably be better to each other if they didn't have to worry about people having religious differences.

Life is short. For all we know, we've only got one life (and if we don't, we've only got one of this life) - so we should be making the most of this one life we have. Especially because life can be fucking shit a lot of the time. Religion gets in the way of people making the most of their lives and creates more shit times for a lot of people. And I think that's especially clear in Iran and the Middle East largely.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I mean, if you're on a team then there's a good chance that when you die you're going to be wrong. Even atheists might be wrong as fuck. But there's certain things in religion that I understand the purpose for - explaining things that just couldn't be explained at the time & keeping a form of social order and morality.

Nowadays, a lot of what couldn't be explained can be explained. And if you need stories and fables to explain to you what is good and bad... that's pretty concerning. And yeah there's a lot of stuff that still remains unexplained still. And a lot of it is interesting stuff to think about. And it can lead to interesting thoughts and discussion.

But when you're considering things like: why are we here? how did we get here? what's our purpose in life? what happens when we die? ... they're all interesting thoughts. And they can lead to existential crises to some people if there aren't any answers. And I can certainly see the reason why people would want these answers and have certain beliefs... because it's comforting.

But at the end of the day, we're not going to know any of the answers to any of this stuff either ever... or until we kick the bucket and see what the next stage is. Why are we here? I don't know... but also who cares? We are here, and we're going to keep being here until we stop being here. People don't need religion to be good people. And people would probably be better to each other if they didn't have to worry about people having religious differences.

Life is short. For all we know, we've only got one life (and if we don't, we've only got one of this life) - so we should be making the most of this one life we have. Especially because life can be fucking shit a lot of the time. Religion gets in the way of people making the most of their lives and creates more shit times for a lot of people. And I think that's especially clear in Iran and the Middle East largely.

The duality of religion is that it does help some people. There are lessons in religions purposely told to make people better humans. There are more than just spiritual stories that are told; for instance the parables of planting seeds in soil and not dry sand, or building a house on a solid foundation. If people have the self-awareness enough to use their religion as a building block of their life, then they are on the right track. If they use it as the entire existence of their life, I believe they'd failed themselves. Objective morality can't exist without religion, right? Every single culture has the basis of it's moral code derived from some sort of religion. If there is no higher being that created a moral code, who is to say that murdering another human is immoral? You? Me? Who has that authority to mandate? And that is whole new bag of words to consider, if human morality is derived from a higher being, who is to say that the higher being exists? If it doesn't exist then it's just humans telling each other how to act. That is where faith comes into play.

If every human being on earth feels that it is immoral to kill another human, where does that objective morality stem from? Is it a DNA memory? Is it an implanted feeling of a higher being? 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Spike said:

The duality of religion is that it does help some people. There are lessons in religions purposely told to make people better humans. There are more than just spiritual stories that are told; for instance the parables of planting seeds in soil and not dry sand, or building a house on a solid foundation. If people have the self-awareness enough to use their religion as a building block of their life, then they are on the right track. If they use it as the entire existence of their life, I believe they'd failed themselves. Objective morality can't exist without religion, right? Every single culture has the basis of it's moral code derived from some sort of religion. If there is no higher being that created a moral code, who is to say that murdering another human is immoral? You? Me? Who has that authority to mandate? And that is whole new bag of words to consider, if human morality is derived from a higher being, who is to say that the higher being exists? If it doesn't exist then it's just humans telling each other how to act. That is where faith comes into play.

If every human being on earth feels that it is immoral to kill another human, where does that objective morality stem from? Is it a DNA memory? Is it an implanted feeling of a higher being? 

Never mind murdering someone.

As a buisnessman if i take the advantage of the unawareness of my customer and sell him the bad stuff for money that wasn't worth it. Does that makes me a bad person ? I never forced him i just manipulated his weakness. Why do people consider such kind of people bad ? Because its immoral ? who is to define morality You ? Me ? 

51 minutes ago, Spike said:

The duality of religion is that it does help some people. There are lessons in religions purposely told to make people better humans. There are more than just spiritual stories that are told; for instance the parables of planting seeds in soil and not dry sand, or building a house on a solid foundation. If people have the self-awareness enough to use their religion as a building block of their life, then they are on the right track. If they use it as the entire existence of their life, I believe they'd failed themselves. Objective morality can't exist without religion, right? Every single culture has the basis of it's moral code derived from some sort of religion. If there is no higher being that created a moral code, who is to say that murdering another human is immoral? You? Me? Who has that authority to mandate? And that is whole new bag of words to consider, if human morality is derived from a higher being, who is to say that the higher being exists? If it doesn't exist then it's just humans telling each other how to act. That is where faith comes into play.

Yeah, I'm not sure that objective morality's existence has anything to do with religion other than the fact that for some people to get other people to not do fucked up things they had to invent a god and impart morality on some people through that way. I entirely believe that it's just humans telling other humans how to act. Rules and social norms that govern how people live their lives and what they believe were, in my opinion, most likely invented to get people to act and behave pleasantly. As well as the fact that religion can/could explain things that are/weren't explainable.

It's also just as possible that there really is some higher being that created objective morality. But then, which higher being is correct? Or are they all the same... and people coming up with different organised systems are all just misinterpreting the spiritual feelings imparted to them? Are people that lived a good life according to multiple religious texts, including the "correct one" barred from heaven (or whatever) if they didn't believe in the "true religion."

And I don't think you or I or anybody can answer where objective morality stems from. We'll either find out when we die and it turns out some religious people were right and there's some sort of higher being that created everything. Or we won't ever know ever, we'll just die never knowing it. Anyone can believe whatever they want to believe, true or not. But to me it all just seems like a waste to believe in any of that or worry about any of that, when there's so much that's actually worth expending energy thinking about in life.

On 17/05/2018 at 05:12, Bluewolf said:

When is this Royal Wedding supposed to be taking place??? 

It's all ready starting to annoy me... 

Annoy you? It's fucking everywhere here and we really shouldn't care. Even Americans are waiting outside of Windsor castle. Mad world. Get rid of them all. Absolute farce this monarchy bullshit. 

1 hour ago, Stan said:

that's not me xD 

Yea sure.... 

1 hour ago, Toinho said:

Annoy you? It's fucking everywhere here and we really shouldn't care. Even Americans are waiting outside of Windsor castle. Mad world. Get rid of them all. Absolute farce this monarchy bullshit. 

It's just all over the place.. every shop, every paper and will be taking over daytime tv for god knows how long... I am not a Royal hater or anything and actually think Kate and Meghan are a bit of a breath of fresh air but it's overkill as normal... All that digging up her past and all the family issues etc.. Got tomorrow off so will be spending it in the garden doing all manner of stuff to fill my skip waiting for the footy to come round.. 

I have told people at work though that I have the day off so I can camp out in my tent over night to get a good spot for when the Royals roll past and hopefully I can grab a selfie with Meghan and some of them believe me which I always find amusing entertainment on what has been an otherwise dull week...  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Toinho said:

There were two almost simultaneous BBC News alerts on the mobile app earlier, one was that the former Russian spy was discharged from hospital and the other was that Prince Phillip will walk Meghan Markle down the aisle. Fucking priorities people.

7 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

Was cycling in Seville (using the city’s biking scheme) this morning going to play football and where we play is near Seville’s stadium. Was about to cross a small road and had to stop suddenly as a Range Rover was coming round the corner, it wasn’t a sudden sudden stop but because the lane was wet it made it look worse and I skidded and fell slightly off the bike. Luckily no harm done at all. 

As I got up I was expecting some abuse from the driver which would have been in typical Spanish fashion. However, the driver stopped the car to see if I was OK and was really nice about it. To my shock, it was the one and only Éver Banega.

You should say you have something wrong with your back and stick a claim in since it's a rich footballer ;)

1 hour ago, The Rebel CRS said:

You should say you have something wrong with your back and stick a claim in since it's a rich footballer ;)

Haha mate of mine said the same but it was entirely my fault.

If it was a random Spaniard in the car I would have been treated a lot differently.

7 hours ago, carefreeluke said:

Was cycling in Seville (using the city’s biking scheme) this morning going to play football and where we play is near Seville’s stadium. Was about to cross a small road and had to stop suddenly as a Range Rover was coming round the corner, it wasn’t a sudden sudden stop but because the lane was wet it made it look worse and I skidded and fell slightly off the bike. Luckily no harm done at all. 

As I got up I was expecting some abuse from the driver which would have been in typical Spanish fashion however the driver stopped the car to see if I was OK and was really nice about it. To my shock, it was the one and only Éver Banega.

Even more beautifully, Éver Banega is the man that ran over his own foot while pumping petrol whilst at Valencia.

• Administrator

massive thank you to the whole of TF365 for not mentioning the royal wedding once at all. Well done everyone :D. Good to see football is still at the heart of everything here!

#FACupFinalDay