Round of 16 - Argentina 2-1 Australia - Saturday 3rd December, 2022

football forum

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Spike said:

The country is literally nicknamed ‘the land down under’ 

I really thought that was just a nickname we had for you over here rather than anything you used.

1 minute ago, Dan said:

I really thought that was just a nickname we had for you over here rather than anything you used.

Mate, an Australian band wrote a song about it, why would they use a Brotosh slang word? It is quite literally used by Canadians and Yanks. It’s universal in the Anglosphere

4 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

To be honest its been an excellent world cup for Australia. Not sure if is quite as good as 2006 but to even get there was an achievement. But to get to the last 16 was an amazing achievement 

Agreed. And it can be coined a small nation mentality or not but it’s an outstanding achievement and one that in my opinion outdoes the 2006 side. The 2006 side were good. We actually had quality. Perhaps, and it was commented on here earlier about the a- league and our side, are underrated. I truly believe the a-league is underrated, I’m not saying it’s good! It has certainly stagnated in my opinion. However, just look at some of the contributions of the squad, quite impressed and tbh very surprised. That’s the Aussie underdog attitude too though, as a nation we battle. Not every nation has that about their sportspeople…

The stock of this squad rises and will be interesting to see if anyone secures moves within Europe. 

It was great to see Messi score that beautifully crafted opening goal in his 1,000th career game. The 2nd Argentina goal, was more to do with determination and non-stop pressing more than anything else. Julian Alvarez pressured keeper Ryan into losing the ball, and Alvarez then swivelled and deftly slotted the ball into the empty net. Australia's goal was declared an own goal, as a blasted shot that was going wide of the goal, took a wicked deflection off of Enzo Fernandez. But Argentina held on to win 2-1 and advance to the quarter finals.

Australia are one of the teams that made this world cup fun, they are a perfect sum of all parts team that played with the proper mentality and commitment.   

in Kuol they have their next big thing from down under, to go with an impressive list of names before him.  looks like a real talent.

I think the Australians I noticed are all but one over 30.

Souttar is the only one I noticed under and at 24 could be a good buy. Last I can see he was on-loan at Fleetwood town. Not sure if that is still the case. Must be worth a punt for say at least a Championship club

• The topic was unpinned

Archived