26 members have voted

1. 1. Your views

• It is an impending disaster and caused almost entirely by humans
    • It is a major concern but we are safe for now
    • It is mostly a natural cyclic process. No need for dooming
    • Some of it is cyclic and some man made. A concern nonetheless
    • It is a hoax. Climate isn't changing
    • I don't have enoug knowledge on this topic

I think some of it's cyclical but a lot is manmade and it's a concern regardless because when you've got shit like massive wildfires in places where massive wildfires don't historically happen... it's a concern. I think ultimately it cold lead to water scarcity, which could lead to food scarcity.

I think there's no doubt that humans have played a part in climate change when there's things like Exxon mobile understanding the science of climate change decades before it was a global issue and spending millions to convince the public otherwise. They were concerned that going public with the info would cut into their profit margins, so they did what they could to keep the public from understanding the science.

I don't think its a 50-50 thing definitely something is up this time (and we can count on natural stupidity for accelerating it) that we should be planning for. I would put it as an orange level threat, below red but above yellow. 

Well...
Australia is either flooding or on fire. Having had several of it's worst floods and fires since colonisation.
Canada is on fire right now and has been for five months. the smoke has been blowing down into Chicago making the air toxic. Possibly the worst bushfire in all of history.
Chicago skipped Spring and started Summer about two months early, and Winter stops and starts every two weeks with unseasonably warm weather and unseasonably cold weather. Not to mention we have unreasonable cold snaps that should not happen with the temperature dropping into -40' where the temperature of Celsius and Fahrenheit meet.

So yeah, I'm pretty fucking concerned about climate change. Who would have thought putting a bunch of chemicals into the air where there never used to be those chemicals would have an effect. Who would have thought dumping toxic waste into water makes the water toxic.

• Upvote 4

Over in Turkey 46 degrees every day. Even the Turkish are finding it hard to work.

Wild fires everywhere from Greece and down the coast.

Also over 40 degrees in the UK last summer, first time ever and expected more often.

The world's changing and its changing fast.

I picked the "impending disaster" option but I don't think there's going to be a sudden Day After Tomorrow type of sudden disaster. 

On the one hand, I think we are already in many subtle (and not so subtle) ways experiencing global warming, but still in a limited and familiar enough way that it can be dismissed.

On the other, I think we are yet to experience it. But the effects will still be hard to distinguish from already-existing problems. Climate disasters in other countries will trigger new or intensified waves of global migration, which is a problem which already exists. Increasing crop failures and decreasing biological diversity will (a) increase food prices and the cost of living in the developed world and (b) lead to mass famine in the developing world. Again, inflation and world hunger are not entirely new issues, so for those who wish to ignore the problem, it will not be impossible to do so.

For the first world, until London for example is literally experiencing flooding, which none of us might live to see, the effects will not IMO be anything completely new or unprecedented. It will manifest itself mostly as an exacerbation (and a dramatic one) of already-existing problems. 

The only truly novel things we might have to deal with in the UK might for example be for example getting AC installed in our homes.

Edited by Inverted

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Inverted said:

On the one hand, I think we are already in many subtle (and not so subtle) ways experiencing global warming, but still in a limited and familiar enough way that it can be dismissed.

On the other, I think we are yet to experience it

Ice caps and glaciers melting, extremely high temperatures with records broken almost regularly now, more frequent extreme weather.

I think we are experiencing it, right now. We've gone past the less obvious signs and now we're in the midst of it. The worrying thing being we're probably not at the peak of the events. 

11 hours ago, Devil said:

Over in Turkey 46 degrees every day. Even the Turkish are finding it hard to work.

Wild fires everywhere from Greece and down the coast.

Also over 40 degrees in the UK last summer, first time ever and expected more often.

The world's changing and its changing fast.

Greece Rhodes fires: Firefighters say there are 'indications of arson' in shocking update

The fires that have engulfed the Greek island of Rhodes may have been started on purpose, firefighters believe

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/breaking-greece-rhodes-fires-firefighters-30534110

16 minutes ago, Stan said:

Ice caps and glaciers melting, extremely high temperatures with records broken almost regularly now, more frequent extreme weather.

I think we are experiencing it, right now. We've gone past the less obvious signs and now we're in the midst of it. The worrying thing being we're probably not at the peak of the events. 

Yes but what I'm saying is that for many people it still feels plausible that we are just in a short-term, random hot period. Hence the usual UK pundit types saying "of course summer is hot, calm down".

It might take many more years of this kind of thing consistently happening before people realise or admit that the trend is never going to reverse, or at least not reverse within a time frame which is meaningful for humanity.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

Some of it is cyclic and some man made. A concern nonetheless

That's my pick, I miss a lovely coal fire at winter time but with the nuclear age with us coal usage for heat is obsolete, but...there are third world countries that have to rely on coal as they have no nuclear facilities where they don't have to use coal and there are some countries like Iran that you could not trust with nuclear facilities, I wonder why? 

I have read so many times that we will sooner or later have another ice age yet now we are going through a heat wave, what next?

Planet earth can never last for ever so sooner than later we will have to start thinking of moving on-wards, 'Beam me up Scotty'. xD

Am I allowed to say and choose option 5, without being cancelled?:ph34r:

Only kidding, I think that there is a clear issue. One only has to think of the huge amount pollution that man pumps into the air every day, to know that we are evidently damaging our planet. We've seen drastic changes and unusual weather patterns all over the world. We have probably already done the damage and that there is no reversing it. Not only do our factories, planes, cars etc. pollute the atmosphere, but even the many wars that we have contribute to the wrecking and polluting of our environment.

As a Christian friend of mine always says, we've reached the end times.

First option. Unfortunately.

By that doesn't mean it will happen super quickly or that we'll all be running around caught on fire. That's laughable exaggeration.

But it will reduce the planets capacity to support 8 billion humans and that means, famine, negative population growth and extreme economic hardship. And fewer people alive in 2100 than there are now.

4 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

Greece Rhodes fires: Firefighters say there are 'indications of arson' in shocking update

The fires that have engulfed the Greek island of Rhodes may have been started on purpose, firefighters believe

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/breaking-greece-rhodes-fires-firefighters-30534110

The cause of the fire isn’t the concern, mate. The conditions that propagate this level of wild fire are the concern. If it weren’t so hot and dry, would the fires be as bad? Fires are things that happen but they haven’t happened as often, and as badly until recently.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Spike said:

The cause of the fire isn’t the concern, mate. The conditions that propagate this level of wild fire are the concern. If it weren’t so hot and dry, would the fires be as bad? Fires are things that happen but they haven’t happened as often, and as badly until recently.

Yep, and it's only going to get warmer too, it must be nightmare in already hot country's like Australia . was just pointing out they think these fires was started on purpose but no doubt the dry condition's have helped them spread

8 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

Yep, and it's only going to get warmer too, it must be nightmare in already hot country's like Australia . was just pointing out they think these fires was started on purpose but no doubt the dry condition's have helped them spread

Yeah there are always dickheads that start fires. A few of the bad ones in Australia were started by the the little bastards, but everything is primed and ready for a spark. Especially eucalyptus forests, they literally explode because of the oil in the trees evaporating into the air.

I put that it's a hoax in the poll, but obviously I was taking the piss, as I do. It's clearly an issue. The temperatures are rising fast and it makes you wonder how hot it'll be in a decade. 

The weather has been utterly dreadful for 3 weeks straight, since I got back off holiday, in the North West, so some things don't change of course...