talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League 2023/24 Gameweek 2 - 18-21st August, 2023

football forum

I appreciate we are still a work in progress but fucking hell, From the promising showing against Liverpool in the opening game we jump to a complete throwback of how we were performing last season.. Weak at the back and toothless up front... Loads of possession blah,blah,blah...

Why when they went down to ten we kept persisting with balls lobbed in from the wings that were easily defended I will never know.. Those are the times you would expect the likes of Sterling ( who had another decent game by the way ) and Mudryk to be jinking in the box trying to draw fouls at the very least... 

I would say onwards and upwards but every time I said that last season it went onwards and downwards so fuck that! Still early days but what a frustrating watch that was... 

• Administrator

Surprised with the West Ham result. Not seen any highlights but with how Chelsea played last week, I expected for them to get at least a draw, especially when West Ham have gone down to 10 as well. Heard a bit on the radio an Sterling was getting high praise in the first half. 

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

Chelsea needed to sign Kane first then maybe Lavia with Nkunku already signed that would have been enough.

But it is another window where Chelsea don't get a goal scorer despite Rory Jennings creaming himself over Nicholas Jackson in pre season

It's been two games ffs 

Kane, Grealish, Henderson, Endo & Tom Brady. All were realistic possibilities for Todd Boehly. But seriously, even with all the cash, they do just somehow seem a fair distance off where Chelsea have been used to. And West Ham won a trophy last season. It is a stacked league & a slippery one too for any side in a transitional phase.

I did say West Ham would be a bigger test. We always do well against Liverpool, even under an interim manager. :4_joy:

5 at the back just isn't it. Need to go back to what worked in preseason. No excuses now with the midfield rebuild. Think Poch needs to be flexible and have two working systems. One with an attacking mid and a 433. That Mudryk at CAM cameo was bizarre and killed the momentum we had. 

Early days. Need to go on a run now given our schedule. 

First choice RB playing CB. Backup RB playing LB. Partey playing RB again.

The midfield should just be Rice - Partey - Ødegaard with the same first choice back 4 as last season with Tomi filling in for Zinchenko. Seems unnecessary to complicate things this much.

Sadly, Manchester City have won the league this season.

I wasn't impressed by Arsenal. Theyre like when you want a Coke and end up with a Coke Zero. They're not the real deal. Everything about them feels so fake and manufactured. Like when Gabriel marshalled the ball out out and Jorginho high fived him. Well done, you held on against Palace.

The amount of times all there staff were out the technical box and blatantly ignoring the fourth official showed a complete lack of respect to everything Howard Webb is trying to achieve. A stronger ref would have booked several players for the passing of the ball they'd do for a throw in or a goal kick too. You just know Arteta would have been the first to complain if we had scored in the seven minutes of stoppage time and completely ignore it was caused by his teams antics.

Nketiah would be a good player for Palace but it's an absolute insult he's wearing the number 14. Him trying to lob Sam Johnstone from four yards reminded me of when you play Fifa and go to finesse the shot but accidentally press the lob button.

I'd go as far now as saying Newcastle United look like the second best team in the league at this early stage of the season.

As for us, I was pleased with the performance. The defence was smooth. Ward looks like a good leader, Mitchell coped with Saka well, the center backs were composed for most of the game, Doucoure & Lerma coped well with a nine figure midfield, its just the affacking positions that need improvement. That game just highlighted at least two attacking players is a necessity. Preferibly three. It looks like Mateta is off to either Leipzig or Dortmund (wtf) and we had no option to replace Edouard with. Schlupp seems to be carrying a bit more timber than usual. An Olise or a Zaha to bring on with half hour ago would have really changed the game.

Roy Hodgson showed with the attacking substitutions he had that if you give him the tools he will go for it. I want us to bring in these class players for him and for the core of the team that is top half level.

• Subscriber
On 20/08/2023 at 02:03, RandoEFC said:

I think Fulham could be in big trouble. Conceded 2.8 xG against us last weekend or something in that ball park.

As for Man Utd, seen parts but not all of their first two games and think they've been pretty shocking in both. Comfortable top six finish still because they'll always be able to afford the £60m-£90m match winners even if they don't deliver it every weekend. Agree with the questions over whether Ten Hag can build more than a dysfunctional team with the individual quality that allows them to bounce between top 4 and top 6 depending on other teams because that's no more or less than what several "failed" managers that preceded him have achieved.

Spurs I've also seen most but not all of their first two games. Pretty solid I think. Richarlison isn't a number 9 but I do think he's looked good in their build up play. He's making the wrong runs in the box though, "hiding" at the back post instead of being aggressive and getting across his marker. Definitely seems low on confidence and they're going to need to sort that out if he's being tasked with effectively trying to replace Kane.

Fulham were awful defensively last season but it seems to have gotten even worse early doors. They were very fortunate last season if you run the numbers - massively overperformed at both ends. Combine that with losing two of their best attacking players, replacing Mitrovic with a finished Raul Jimenez, I can see a very good case for them to drop. I had money on them and Wolves pre-season.

• The topic was unpinned