talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Game Of Thrones

football forum

39 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

What is it with you Aussie fuckers? Another week another post saying "it's shit", my personal theory is because of the culture you come from the only point of reference you have is the nights watch. 

The books are great, and in terms of production scale, and development, and casting, and the performance and effects the show is as well. But the further it strays from the books the more it misses them. Episodes like that are an excellent example. While the core of the episode will be in the book, the dialogue and character interactions of the show writers have fuck all on martin. That's why he is a successful author and they work in TV.

"Dick, I like it"

"Of course you do"

10 fucking points ha fucking ha so witty. Almost as bad as the fucking avengers sometimes.

Edited by Tanksie
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Already seen one spoiler on the title of a YouTube video but not sure it's real as I don't see the two characters involved being in the same place by the end of next episode....

I wasn't going to wait for this exact reason. Thursday to Monday is a bloody long time to try and avoid any kind of spoilers as far as GOT is concerned. I'd rather watch it and see everything unfold without any inklings at all.

Like @Fairy In Boots said, no chance I'm ruining it for anyone until Monday has been and gone, but what I would say is the copy of it that I downloaded was brilliant so I don't feel I've dipped out not waiting HD.

The episode is about 64mins long. Set's it up nicely for Episode 7.

8 hours ago, Tanksie said:

The books are great, and in terms of production scale, and development, and casting, and the performance and effects the show is as well. But the further it strays from the books the more it misses them. Episodes like that are an excellent example. While the core of the episode will be in the book, the dialogue and character interactions of the show writers have fuck all on martin. That's why he is a successful author and they work in TV.

"Dick, I like it"

"Of course you do"

10 fucking points ha fucking ha so witty. Almost as bad as the fucking avengers sometimes.

You have two types of Thrones people. Those that have read the books and in doing so, are loyal to the original story and annoyed by the direction the TV series take. Or those that enjoy the TV series for what it is without any knowledge of the books.

As long as we all have a hole in our arse, we will probably continue to disagree. I wouldn't knock you for your opinion but I wouldn't agree with it. Personally feel the majority of people love the TV adaption well enough on it's own merit.

• Subscriber

Yeah you can't expect to keep all the intrigue. It used to be interesting to see what Little finger, Varys, Tyrion, Cersei etc. were plotting now cards are pretty much on the table. 

The early seasons were great for the intrigue, scheming and character development. The later seasons naturally lose a lot of that because they have to finish the story but they're still great or at least good for the massive battle scenes and the end game of every major character's stories.

I'm a book reader but after the show had got through a few seasons. I'd certainly rather have read GRRM's version before seeing it on the show but that's life. There are bits I don't like about the show and the writing in it which I'll openly say but it's still much better television than pretty much anything else that's on so I plan to just appreciate that.

17 hours ago, Tanksie said:

"Dick, I like it"

"Of course you do"

Nail on the fucking head. These writers can't create an coherent character or dialogue to save their lives. They can do melodrama perfectly but they are so fucking bad at everything else. For instance, Ellaria Sand's reason for revenge on Cersei Lannister is fucking laughable xD Euron Greyjoy is built up to be a badass but turns out to be a goofy villain more at home in Adam West's Batman!  I don't even read the bloody books but I can tell bad writing when I see it and the latter seasons have that in Aces. I loved this show but my god it has gotten bad.

Yeah, I hate this fucking fad of 'banter' in film. It works in real life because it's fun between your mates, its just cringe when I see it on the TV.  I remember the commericals for The Avengers on tele and every time it showed that stupid fucking scene between Loki and Ironamn 'I have an army'- - 'We have a Hulk' and I cringed every time.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

What is it with you Aussie fuckers? Another week another post saying "it's shit", my personal theory is because of the culture you come from the only point of reference you have is the nights watch. 

We are just sour cunts that turn every you English wankers think you are known for up to 11.We are like a parody of the UK. Everything from the bastard Cockney X Irish accent, to the alcoholism, and 'cheeky' banter. We just use different words, ya filthy cunt.

Can't blame the writers for fucking up really. They were given fantastic source material for years only for it to dry up because the fat cunt is lazy. They don't know what is going on in the bastards head so they can't reach those expectations, nor can they balls up and do what he does. GRR is ballsy enough to kill off a character like Tyrion but the show writers aren't because Tyrrion is $$$. They are in a rock and a hard place, they have to create a narrative that is kosher to the source material but without straying to far from it. They can't introduce too many new characters because they'll fuck off a lot of people, they can't kill off established characters because the same will happen. So what they have to do is hamstring something that fits in what the books have set up, so they don't have much room for expansion thus limiting a lot of interesting developements. 

22 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Hey! I like the show, and couldn't wait until Monday to watch the leaked episode. I would label GoT epic.

Its a great show and probably the show i've got the most enjoyment out of overall ever besides the west wing  but i definitely feel it has gotten way worse on the plotline side since they sped things up. Its become more like it uses the battle scenes and production value like crack in the way its constantly trying to be more shocking or more dramatic than previous as to cause you to bear with it during the weaker moments.... some current season plot elements have the makings of a soap opera. 

That can grate on you because with some improvements in the writing it could easily be the greatest tv show of all time but overall its still a very enjoyable show despite some of the soapy drama. Just like the west wing.

16 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

I'm fairly sure me likening the nights watch to Australia has gone over heads here. It's basically a dig about the fact both are penal colonies 

They sent the real men to Australia.  

17 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

I'm fairly sure me likening the nights watch to Australia has gone over heads here. It's basically a dig about the fact both are penal colonies 

Yeah, you're the first Englishman to make that sort of joke. 

I watched the new episode, its on watch series for anyone interested. It's stream quality but not the worst.

I won't spoil anything, but I do agree that the show has lost its quality of dialogue. The episodes in general have been sped up so far and whilst I get it as they just want to end it soon, I have felt it's just become rushed and is losing the feel that it is actually a "Game of Thrones" and is lacking the tactical nouse and intelligence that it began with.

BELOW IS A SPOILER DO NOT READ

It's becoming too predictable and I think it'll be boring if Dany stays a "good guy", I thought the dragon malarkey with the white walkers was too predictable, I'd prefer a bit more mayhem between Cersei/Dany and Sansa and I'd like it if the white walkers took advantage of that.

Best scenario is that they remain a hidden force and Jon and co struggle to get everyone onside until it's too late and causes a royal rumble of the ages.

Edited by Danny

2 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Lol not my best. For what it's worth I love Aussie's & Kiwi's no other race of people answers simple yes/no questions with "ah fuck yeah" or "ah fuck no" 

img19357.png

Anyway, watched Episode 5 last night (haven't watched the leaked one yet, is it in decent quality?). Decent episode, but everything feels so rushed now, and it was certainly a bit "slower" than the episode before that. 

8 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Lol not my best. For what it's worth I love Aussie's & Kiwi's no other race of people answers simple yes/no questions with "ah fuck yeah" or "ah fuck no" 

To be fair my initial thought was that you were suggesting we were in a very remote part of the world, removed from all the action like the night's watch. 

I wanted to wait but I knew my friends would be dickheads and you can only avoid whatsapp groups for so long (like a day...) so I watched it on Thursday.

Won't give any real spoilers but what happened at the end was pretty much expected to happen by a lot of people but that's not to say that the show shouldn't have done it. Overall another good episode and I started disliking Arya after the previous episode and now I think I hate her after this episode. She might be a badass but she's a fucking idiot.

• Administrator
On 14/08/2017 at 11:51 PM, Tanksie said:

Says who? The rebellion only lasted a year. Jon has no Targaryen features and Lyannas eyes, with Baratheon hair.

Not confirmed anywhere. Lyanna is his mother. Lyanna and Rhagar were married. That is all we have.

I have no stock in either outcome really. But it would be hilarious to see the rug pulled out from under that theory.

It was confirmed. By HBO themselves. Voila.

IMG_0002.PNG