talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool Discussion

football forum

18 minutes ago, Spike said:

You guys think that Klopp's high tempo methodology had no influence on Karius playing the ball too quickly?

It may have had an influence, but that doesn't mean Karius shouldn't have looked first before doing anything. Youthful inexperience maybe, but still very stupid.

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

If we're out of the title race early and are shit in the cups only playing for top 4, or not competing for the top 4 and competing in a cup... that's more of a cause for concern.

We're not Chelsea, we can't afford to abandon our long term projects unless we really really have to - at least imo. I think any sort of rebuild means setting us back a few years.

That's basically what I'm stating.

You've just spent 200 million these past two windows. You've already injected 90 million with Fabinho and Keita, and potentially more if the rumors are true about Fekir, Allison, and a top GK and CB. 

The board are clearly showing ambition, and I think a fair reflection of that on Klopp's end is a title challenge and ending the season with a trophy. 

There are 4 trophies to fight for, in which you have made the final 3 times in the past 4 seasons alone. Whilst a genuine title challenge would definitely show more progress, another trophyless season should absolutely be criticised. It would then be 4 seasons with Liverpool that they haven't won a trophy. Just how much more time do you need to build a team that is capable of winning something? Then there is Klopps's cup record in consideration. 

Edited by Cicero
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

You can't be serious? 

He's totally transformed us! 

Cause for concern xD

You are very easily pleased. Any manager in charge of my club who failed to fix a goalkeeping problem after 3 years leading to contributing to losing a CL final (plus a major reason you don’t win anything) would get both barrels.

To be fair we would have moved him on a long time ago, but I have to say I am most curious to see what happens with the guy who he refers to as the brains in their kushti set-up.

If he is the brains, isnt it kinda worrying whats going to be steering your club as Klopp up to now is nothing more than a serial loser?

Still, I hear he is good for a sing-song.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Cicero said:

That's basically what I'm stating.

You've just spent 200 million these past two windows. You've already injected 90 million with Fabinho and Keita, and potentially more if the rumors are true about Fekir, Allison, and a top GK and CB. 

The board are clearly showing ambition, and I think a fair reflection of that on Klopp's end is a title challenge and ending the season with a trophy. 

There are 4 trophies to fight for, in which you have made the final 3 times in the past 4 seasons alone. Whilst a genuine title challenge would definitely show more progress, another trophyless season should absolutely be criticised. It would then be 4 seasons with Liverpool that they haven't won a trophy. Just how much more time do you need to build a team that is capable of winning something? Then there is Klopps's cup record in consideration. 

If a team is a point away from a title or one bad match away from winning the CL but then blow it in the final... I don't think sacking that manager is sacking a manager that's failed to build a team capable of winning something. And I don't think one bad season means you need to get rid of a manager after years of constant progression.

Sure if we're looking like Arsenal did where things have gotten very stale and we've had no semblance of progression, then sure... sack him after years of no progression. But when you actually see the squad improve, the football improve, and the results improve (sure we came in the same league position, but we also went on a glorious cup run and added more matches to our season).

I don't think it's a black and white situation. You have the look at the circumstances before making that decision.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Don't want to derail this thread off-topic...we are discussing the coach who has yet to win a trophy and finished fourth this season. 

You can extrapolate the discussion more broadly pretty easily to be generally a discussion of when you think a manager deserves the sack. Does Mourinho deserve the sack? You've improved a bit, but the football is pretty dull and you don't look any closer to winning anything despite making a final and then being unable to break down the bus parked ahead of you.

I don't think he deserves the sack this season. You've made improvement in the league, so results have improved even when performances have not. And you're a hard to beat side. But if next season goes similarly to this season, where you maybe make a cup final but can't break down the side ahead of you and make top 4 comfortably but don't win it. Maybe the performances have been much improved though or something to give some fans reason to believe some sort of improvement has happened... but it's again, another disappointing season. Do you sack him? Or do you keep him?

But I guess it can be hard to compare the two, because the circumstances are different and like I said... this is all circumstantial. With United fans, I know there's already a group that thinks Mourinho should be sacked ASAP - I think right now Klopp's got 99% of fans onboard despite not having ultimate success in the CL final. Also Klopp's done a lot more building with the squad and the side - he's done a lot to not just bring in players to improve us (and he's done quite well in the transfer market) and improve the performances of those already here pretty substantially. I don't think many United players have had the same kind of role transitions and flourishment we've seen from either Firmino or Lallana, for example. Regardless of the fact that bringing in Matic was a great move (and probably his best move at United).

I wouldn't sack a manager that's making any sort of upward trend though, whether in results, performances on the pitch, ideally both, or building a side that's got quality and depth and demonstrates it. I'd only sack a manager after a pattern of regression that demonstrates the rot cannot be stopped by the man in charge.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

It may have had an influence, but that doesn't mean Karius shouldn't have looked first before doing anything. Youthful inexperience maybe, but still very stupid.

If Karius is already uncomfortable distributing the ball quickly and under-pressure isn't it up to Klopp to realise that and not have him play in a manner that requires quick thinking and distribution? Doesn't that exasperate an already apparent weakness?

To be fair, Karius has handled playing from the back quite well for the most part. This was np doubt a very silly error, but I don't think you can blame the tactics from Klopp for it. Karius simply should have cleared his lines before throwing it.

Edited by Mantis Toboggan M.D.

30 minutes ago, Spike said:

If Karius is already uncomfortable distributing the ball quickly and under-pressure isn't it up to Klopp to realise that and not have him play in a manner that requires quick thinking and distribution? Doesn't that exasperate an already apparent weakness?

Karius's distribution for the 2nd half of the season has been fine. He wasn't demonstrating the kind of errors he made at the beginning of his LFC career until the final.

I think the biggest criticism of Karius early on was more like their 3rd goal. Just incredibly poor shot stopping.

But that first goal he let in was the worst error I've ever seen from him and one of, if not, the worst error I've ever seen from a LFC keeper. Worse than a schoolboy error.

The only person to blame for the error is the person who made the error.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Klopp's first line-up

Mignolet

Clyne - Sakho - Skrtel - Moreno

Can - Lucas

Milner - Coutinho - Lallana

Origi

Klopp's potential line-up start of next season

Alisson

TAA - Van Dijk - Lovren - Robertson

Keita - Fabinho

Mane - Fekir - Salah

Firmino

That's some major improvement across the board in 2 and a half years. Especially that midfield. 

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

New contract for Rhian Brewster til 2023

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44522780

Liverpool forward Rhian Brewster has agreed a new contract with the club.

It is understood the 18-year-old, who had been linked with a move to Germany, has agreed a five-year deal that will keep him at Anfield until 2023.

Brewster starred during England's Under-17 World Cup success in India in 2017, scoring eight goals to win the tournament's Golden Boot.

He is yet to play for Liverpool's first team, and finished last season with a knee injury suffered in January.

Brewster had attracted interest from Borussia Monchengladbach, which annoyed Liverpool enough for them to cancel a planned pre-season friendly with the Bundesliga outfit.

He is expected to be fit by the time Liverpool head to the United States towards the end of next month on their pre-season tour.

Brewster joined the Liverpool youth set-up from Chelsea in 2014

On 6/8/2018 at 10:04, Stan said:

Klopp's first line-up

Mignolet

Clyne - Sakho - Skrtel - Moreno

Can - Lucas

Milner - Coutinho - Lallana

Origi

Klopp's potential line-up start of next season

Alisson

TAA - Van Dijk - Lovren - Robertson

Keita - Fabinho

Mane - Fekir - Salah

Firmino

That's some major improvement across the board in 2 and a half years. Especially that midfield. 

Fekir xD

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
6 hours ago, Machado said:

That shoot out xD

Tell you what, I watched that game and was thinking "Don't fuck this up don't fuck this up" and to be fair there were some really good penalties in there.