talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Work/Jobs Thread

football forum

On 20/07/2023 at 11:42, MUFC said:

You ever seen a work colleague outside of work and it just feels awkward? You talk but just don't know what to say to them. Is even worse if they're with somebody.

No, I can talk to anyone and not feel uncomfortable as I'm confident in myself as a person.

A long time ago when I first started in the office side of construction my boss used to throw me into the deep end and make me attend meetings with clients on my own. I'd hate it at first and I quickly learnt blagging it doesn't work so I'd be honest admit I was wet behind the ears and talk football or holidays or whatever to get me through it. I learnt quickly people like people who are genuine and now I know my shit work wise I can mix it on both levels. To cut a long story short my boss was building my character and it's standed me good in life as well.

Had a bit of battle with my work lately that I seem to have won for the meantime at least.

They want to get us back in an office but since Covid, we've proven we not only give more to the job working at home, we have less distractions, offer more flexibility and actually save the company money in additional electricity etc.

When it first happend, I never thought I'd get on with it, I am a people person and like the camaraderie of the people in the office but I must admit, I like how it is with work now. I like working in my own space, not having to leave earlier and get home later due to driving to and from in rush hour, having the benefits of being able to do some house chores in between work.

I actually feel like Covid perhaps made me quite detatched from the working environment enough not to miss it anymore. It feels so much more chilled to be in your own space and as my job requires overtime a lot, I'm usually pretty accomodating to do it because of how the situation works for me.

They have relented for now and eased off but its interesting to know if this is something anyone else has gone through?

• 1 month later...

I work in alcohol retail. Last week my store boss who works with me on Wednesdays for deliverys left early by about 30 minutes. She serves customers and puts away the stock I bring to the front of house, while I move all the boxes from pallets on the truck to the dock, then boxes from the dock to their homes (by hand). She left me with 30 mins worth of stock to put away front of house. After moving all the stock for 2 hours, then refilling the cool room stock near the end of shift (another 40+ cases by hand with assistance from a small trolley that holds 4 cases) I had my dinner as I usually do. By closing time the store was still a mess with work to be done, so I stayed back 30 minutes to work on it. I put that on my timesheet. I get a call on payday from the store owner, who is basically an owner/area manager. He says he's going to check with my store boss to make sure I was there the 30 minutes by checking the camera. Knowing I was, I say no worries and didn't stress about it... until I didn't get paid that 30 minutes. When I saw her yesterday at work she basically said "you're not in trouble, because you did stay back, but if you'd worked harder during normal shift time, you could have gotten everything done" so they didn't pay me.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

• Subscriber
59 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I work in alcohol retail. Last week my store boss who works with me on Wednesdays for deliverys left early by about 30 minutes. She serves customers and puts away the stock I bring to the front of house, while I move all the boxes from pallets on the truck to the dock, then boxes from the dock to their homes (by hand). She left me with 30 mins worth of stock to put away front of house. After moving all the stock for 2 hours, then refilling the cool room stock near the end of shift (another 40+ cases by hand with assistance from a small trolley that holds 4 cases) I had my dinner as I usually do. By closing time the store was still a mess with work to be done, so I stayed back 30 minutes to work on it. I put that on my timesheet. I get a call on payday from the store owner, who is basically an owner/area manager. He says he's going to check with my store boss to make sure I was there the 30 minutes by checking the camera. Knowing I was, I say no worries and didn't stress about it... until I didn't get paid that 30 minutes. When I saw her yesterday at work she basically said "you're not in trouble, because you did stay back, but if you'd worked harder during normal shift time, you could have gotten everything done" so they didn't pay me.

Dick Heads, lesson learnt, if that was me I would not bother working any overtime and if they asked me I would have...

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47yg0d8hqbjghq2qnxly

• Administrator
8 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

What an absolute cunt. 

On 24/07/2023 at 12:23, Lucas said:

Had a bit of battle with my work lately that I seem to have won for the meantime at least.

They want to get us back in an office but since Covid, we've proven we not only give more to the job working at home, we have less distractions, offer more flexibility and actually save the company money in additional electricity etc.

When it first happend, I never thought I'd get on with it, I am a people person and like the camaraderie of the people in the office but I must admit, I like how it is with work now. I like working in my own space, not having to leave earlier and get home later due to driving to and from in rush hour, having the benefits of being able to do some house chores in between work.

I actually feel like Covid perhaps made me quite detatched from the working environment enough not to miss it anymore. It feels so much more chilled to be in your own space and as my job requires overtime a lot, I'm usually pretty accomodating to do it because of how the situation works for me.

They have relented for now and eased off but its interesting to know if this is something anyone else has gone through?

Bit of a late response, but my place has been a little similar in terms of, admittedly, not really wanting us back in the office but 'encouraging' us to go back in.

I've been working from home since the pandemic started and like you, the benefits of not having to get to the office (saving time and money) and having improved work life balance as a result is much better, as I can just log off and that's that.

However, what I have found at times is because your home is both your personal and office space, it can be difficult to switch off at times and get caught up with doing over your hours or even just check work emails when you've clocked off (case in point, my flexi hours got to about 60 hours they owed me last year). My own work nature of being a fucking idiot time and shift wise doesn't help mind. As an example, we had a major incident occur earlier this year where about 800-900 patient records got mixed due to an external error. The whole team had to urgently prioritise this correction and drop everything else, but we had overtime available to us for both evenings and weekends. I won't lie and say the extra money wasn't enticing, but because I had already planned to see my folks the weekend after it happened, I wanted to do my bit for the team as I felt I'd not be able to do much more afterwards. In the end, I did a 24 straight shift/overtime hybrid from 5pm until 5pm the following day. I don't recommend it in any way, shape or form.

The other part for me is that as I live on my own, staring at the same four walls and speaking to yourself isn't the most healthiest thing you can do mentally. In this case, I would have happily popped into the office more, but because no one in my team ever did, it'd be pointless to go all the way in to do exactly what I do at home. Since moving into my new role though, this has improved a little as the team meet up once a month at the office, which I'm happy to do.

In terms of my workplace, they've tried to push the office working without telling us that we must go back in, but they seem to have backed off from that now as it makes no real sense to get people back in, especially as they've actually reduced the number of available desks overall, so all teams couldn't go back in anyway.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Me personally I'd have told her that wasn't acceptable and walked out. You only know yourself if you are good employee but if what you say is true then you sound like you cared enough. 

You deserve better clearly.

That said I don't know your financial situation or how easy jobs are to come by in Australia. I certainly wouldn't be accepting that, so I'd look for a new job regardless.

21 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

That's wage theft. Report that shit mate.

https://www.industrialrelations.nsw.gov.au/employees/employee-essentials/lodging-a-complaint/

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Here's the issue with a walkout/report. 

My mate, who's a bit of a hard cunt, hooked me up with a job at his dads pub bottleshop about 4 years ago. (the dad is the owner referenced earlier) They own 4 bottlemarts, 2 pubs and a restaurant. I worked at a different bottlemart for a few years before moving to this one a few months back, for more hours. My mate HATES this manager, and dislikes his dad too. Anyway, I will finally finish my degree around this point next year, and just need to ride out the next 8-12 months. I'm not going to rock the boat, and I've walked out over less at other jobs. But I get paid pretty well, my hours are great and don't worry, I'll get much more than that 15 bucks worth of value in my own time in my own way. 

• Upvote 1

On 21/09/2023 at 17:48, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Here's the issue with a walkout/report. 

My mate, who's a bit of a hard cunt, hooked me up with a job at his dads pub bottleshop about 4 years ago. (the dad is the owner referenced earlier) They own 4 bottlemarts, 2 pubs and a restaurant. I worked at a different bottlemart for a few years before moving to this one a few months back, for more hours. My mate HATES this manager, and dislikes his dad too. Anyway, I will finally finish my degree around this point next year, and just need to ride out the next 8-12 months. I'm not going to rock the boat, and I've walked out over less at other jobs. But I get paid pretty well, my hours are great and don't worry, I'll get much more than that 15 bucks worth of value in my own time in my own way. 

But this cunt might have a history of doing this to people, and will probably do it again. Of course you don’t have to do a thing and I wouldn’t know all the circumstances but wage theft is becoming a normalised plague in the world.

Anyway my main worry would be this happening to someone that doesn’t have your backbone 

Edited by Spike

• Subscriber

I got used (work-wise) when I did security work many moons ago, I would do any shift under the sun with this company, 12-hour shifts and sometimes even doubles (24 hours on the trot) I kept telling them I wanted a permanent site with a good hourly rate.

They kept putting me on a retail site at £3.50 an hour when other sites were paying around £4.00/£5.00 an hour, this retail site was a clothes shop in Princess Street, Edinburgh, and because I was good at my job and caught a load of shoplifters or deterred them the manageress there wanted just me..

I kept telling my area manager I hated the shop and wanted a different site with a decent rate but he did not listen until I put my notice in to join another company that guaranteed me a site with a good rate of pay, £6.00 an hour and I accepted it, on my last day the job I was already on the area manager kept following me around asking me not to leave and promised me another site with a better rate of pay.

I told him " You are to fucking late mate and you can stick your offer up the back of your arse, I would not trust you as far as I could throw you..."

The job I took was a site where I worked for 14 years and worked my way up from a security officer, security supervisor and eventually on the management team at the building where I retired.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CaaC (John) said:

I got used (work-wise) when I did security work many moons ago, I would do any shift under the sun with this company, 12-hour shifts and sometimes even doubles (24 hours on the trot) I kept telling them I wanted a permanent site with a good hourly rate.

They kept putting me on a retail site at £3.50 an hour when other sites were paying around £4.00/£5.00 an hour, this retail site was a clothes shop in Princess Street, Edinburgh, and because I was good at my job and caught a load of shoplifters or deterred them the manageress there wanted just me..

I kept telling my area manager I hated the shop and wanted a different site with a decent rate but he did not listen until I put my notice in to join another company that guaranteed me a site with a good rate of pay, £6.00 an hour and I accepted it, on my last day the job I was already on the area manager kept following me around asking me not to leave and promised me another site with a better rate of pay.

I told him " You are to fucking late mate and you can stick your offer up the back of your arse, I would not trust you as far as I could throw you..."

The job I took was a site where I worked for 14 years and worked my way up from a security officer, security supervisor and eventually on the management team at the building where I retired.

Now a pint on princess street cost £6

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Spike said:

But this cunt might have a history of doing this to people, and will probably do it again. Of course you don’t have to do a thing and I wouldn’t know all the circumstances but wage theft is becoming a normalised plague in the world.

Anyway my main worry would be this happening to someone that doesn’t have your backbone 

Oh absolutely. They're a very 'old fashioned' bunch. At the end of my degree I will have the last laugh, but you're right, this mob loves exploiting people.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

So, a little work update, it's a bit long but ill condense it as much as possible. In Jan this year I had a weird run-in with my manager at work about how we're building software that we peddle to customers that is bug-ridden to the point where it's almost impossible to change it to become more stable without gutting the entire system piece by piece and rebuilding it. I was given a lot of excuses about why it was the way it is and sadly I have a great bullshit meter that doesn't allow me to hear that kind of nonsense. I talked to a lot of folks at work about what it would take to make it better, presented a case for it and then once again got told it would be too hard and would yield absolutely no benefit to the customer. I then of course made the argument that I wasn't just talking about the customer but about us as a company and how being ready to migrate to newer tech was the real goal here which ultimately serves our customers better. 

Fast forward to April this year and I heard the most shocking thing in the world from someone else who was a higher-up and that was this verbatim "we don't care about the fact that the system is broken in certain areas". I couldn't control myself and started laughing and said that's quite the statement, didn't go down too well and in my defense, I was laughing because I thought it was the most ludicrous thing I have heard in my 25 years in this industry. 

In August, I decided I had had enough and told them I was resigning. According to laws here, you have to spend 60 days prior to exit to help shore up whatever you need to. Needless to say, I am officially out of tech now for the next 30 days during which I plan to surf and also do some trekking haha. It's a weird feeling because I have been doing this since I was 17 and to disassociate from it without a gameplan for the next step feels a bit weird but so far, it's only been 1 day, and I honestly haven't thought about tech at all during that period. 

• Wow 1
  • Upvote 3

edit: bit long. Summary: Left second job in 6 months. New job = good.

Never updated this interesting year. As previously mentioned in the thread I gave up a permanent (basically lifetime gig) position at end of last year due to outright bullying and nepotism, to move to a 12 month contract at another school. Which started well… was given literacy (lol) leadership opportunities through a range of amazing professional learning. However as the weeks ticked along, the more and more shambolic the place is. It’s in a huge transition and they have a lot of high end behaviours. Easily the toughest school behaviour wise I’ve seen. My particular class was chaotic. So many issues. So sad, and so underfunded. Honestly out of the 24 students I had identified at least half with a difficulty or learning disability. 

The behaviours were intense, I was told to lock out students, a student was hitting teachers (never me but had a lot thrown at me) and these poor kids are only…6. Anyway, having tried to raise points about certain dynamics in the class the support system was quite shitty tbh. Parents in their droves complained to the principal about behaviours (I urged them to talk to leadership), and eventually they found an education assistant to help most days. Didn’t help, I ended up trying so many things. It was seriously draining. Realising this was a pattern across the school I applied elsewhere. 

I managed to win an interview and subsequently a position in the private sector at an incredibly high performing school. I told my school at the time of this news and they said that’s great etc etc and then 3 hours later made the decision to pull me from my class. I ended up taking a week stress leave as this was quite a fucked thing to do. I was then the “relief” and was in one of the other most challenging classes for a couple of days a week for the last 4 weeks of the term. The teacher that took over my initial class is now already leaving. She’s more experienced and has been at the tough school for years…

The behaviour support for this year four class? A tick chart and lollies and chocolates if these students stay in the room, don’t fight etc. fucking stupid systems.

Anyway, loving the new job. Long hours and on the other side of the city, and with after school expectations. Very different. But sometimes you’ve got to move and take risks! 

Edited by Toinho
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

• 3 months later...
  • Subscriber

IMG_3484.thumb.jpeg.5ed04bfa7e5da7d176dd09e5733b16a6.jpeg

On a lean course with work in Manchester, so i’m staying at Old Trafford cricket ground for the night. 

Any recommendations nearby for meals out etc? Not sure who to ask… @DeadLinesman?

Going to be staying over once a week for the next 5 weeks. 

4 hours ago, JoshBRFC said:

On a lean course with work in Manchester, so i’m staying at Old Trafford cricket ground for the night. 

Any recommendations nearby for meals out etc? Not sure who to ask… @DeadLinesman?

Sorry mate, only just seen this. You’d best just get the tram into either town or Salford Quays. I’m partial to an Almost Famous burger in town. Fucking amazing.

5 hours ago, JoshBRFC said:

Depends what you like, Salford Quays has a few places but it tends be chain restaurants. It's not a million miles away though and is easily within walking distance.

They have a new food hall that overlooks the Quays and Old Trafford stadium, its a little pricey for what you get but decent enough.

You're also on top of the metrolink so a short ride on the metro and you have all sorts of places in town.

If you have the car and don't mind driving Chorlton isn't far away either, I can advise the following places in Chorlton.

https://thedropbarcafe.net/

https://brewskirestaurants.com/

Also Sale isn't a million miles away either and also only two stops on the Metrolink. They have an Italian called Borrello, midweek before 7pm they do  a two course menu for £11, it's absolutely amazing value for money as they don't cut down the portion size for the offer.

Also up the road is Stretford mall, it isn't that impressive for shops but I've heard it also has a decent food hall you can have a look at that serves the usual stuff like stone baked pizzas etc..

I'd defo give Borrello a look in though, we go often it's a really nice Italian if you like Italian food.

Edited by Devil

15 hours ago, JoshBRFC said:

What type of food do you like? 

• Subscriber
On 10/01/2024 at 21:35, DeadLinesman said:

Sorry mate, only just seen this. You’d best just get the tram into either town or Salford Quays. I’m partial to an Almost Famous burger in town. Fucking amazing.

Cheers will try it out. Salford quays is only a mile or so away from where I’m staying, and also where the course is at the manufacturing institute. 

Is media City worth a wander round? That’s nearby aswell ain’t it.  

On 10/01/2024 at 22:47, Devil said:

Depends what you like, Salford Quays has a few places but it tends be chain restaurants. It's not a million miles away though and is easily within walking distance.

They have a new food hall that overlooks the Quays and Old Trafford stadium, its a little pricey for what you get but decent enough.

You're also on top of the metrolink so a short ride on the metro and you have all sorts of places in town.

If you have the car and don't mind driving Chorlton isn't far away either, I can advise the following places in Chorlton.

https://thedropbarcafe.net/

https://brewskirestaurants.com/

Also Sale isn't a million miles away either and also only two stops on the Metrolink. They have an Italian called Borrello, midweek before 7pm they do  a two course menu for £11, it's absolutely amazing value for money as they don't cut down the portion size for the offer.

Also up the road is Stretford mall, it isn't that impressive for shops but I've heard it also has a decent food hall you can have a look at that serves the usual stuff like stone baked pizzas etc..

I'd defo give Borrello a look in though, we go often it's a really nice Italian if you like Italian food.

Cheers mate some good options there for  over the weeks ;) 

Borello is only 10-15 away can always get an Uber if I don’t fancy driving. 

On 11/01/2024 at 08:21, MUFC said:

What type of food do you like? 

Everything.