talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Work/Jobs Thread

football forum

• The title was changed to Work/Jobs Thread
On 04/06/2021 at 15:24, Stan said:

Had a job interview for a promotion in to a managerial role today. It's as a secondment for nearly a year so pretty much no-lose situation - if I get it, I use that time to learn the role whilst doing it, and the plan is to make it permanent if it's right for me and if they're happy. If it doesn't become permanent, I still would have learnt a lot at that level and will use that in future for any other opportunities that come up, and I also have the safety net of going back to what I do now which I still really enjoy. 

Genuinely find it mad that people have jobs that they really enjoy, which is probably why I'm going to Uni, but for me an enjoyable job is one where the day just passes and you don't hate every second of it xD

4 minutes ago, Stan said:

Got the job :D :D

Congrats!

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Danny said:

Genuinely find it mad that people have jobs that they really enjoy, which is probably why I'm going to Uni, but for me an enjoyable job is one where the day just passes and you don't hate every second of it xD 

Spend some time figuring out some of your hobbies and what makes you truly happy, and then try to make money off of it.

I enjoy my job, but I am also getting another job starting on the 22nd, and it's one that I have no doubt I'll truly love. I have a thousand hobbies, but it's hard to make money off of Chess, football, and reading, so I went with my other options, which is cyber security and technology in general.

55 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Is there now demand for working from home?

Stupid that many work places insisted on people being in everyday in the first place, so many jobs that can be done from home a couple days a week at least.

• Upvote 2

I think 40%/60% split is fair for most businesses. Working from home definitely has its advantages, personally I find myself being more productive as I have no colleagues to converse with and it's definitely better from a mental health perspective not having to wake up at 4am/5am to commute every day and having the opportunity to have television/podcasts on in the background.

That said working from home isn't very beneficial when you begin working for a new company, you haven't got the opportunity to learn from others and you haven't got the opportunity to build working relationships with colleagues. There's also the issue of whilst I may be more productive, I don't think that's the same for the majority of people. I don't know anybody that works for a company that thinks all their staff are working as hard as they can whilst being at home. From a supervision aspect it can spiral out of control very quickly.

• Upvote 2

• Subscriber

I just shifted to a new job yesterday and they have a policy of working from the office four/three days a week with the rest from home. Granted of course this is going to be the new norm for the foreseeable future but I do agree that your productivity really swings just based on mood, what kind of work you're doing and most importantly deadlines.

• Upvote 2

• Administrator

I've been wfh for nearly 5 years now. I can't stress enough how important it is to ensure you maintain your wellbeing. Mentally and physically. 

Regardless of the work you're assigned to do for your role, taking regular breaks and keeping active is so important. Sitting at your desk all day isn't healthy but getting up and moving about can be so beneficial. You'd do it in the office so why not do it at home? If you're worried about the time then think about how much work you'd do instead of commuting. It's also not healthy to have so much screen time and video calls without breaks. If you're workplace aren't championing healthy work/life balance then they're already doing something wrong. 

Agree with @The Palace Fan about being new in a company and having to work from home. My manager started work and then 4 months later COVID hit so for her getting to know people in the company was made hugely difficult. Even since we started working from home, generally you miss so much of what goes on in the office or for the company, but then that's where good communication comes in from the top. And to be honest because you've got a job to do you kind of get over not knowing (or at least not needing to know) trivial things you usually would around the office anyway. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Stan said:

I've been wfh for nearly 5 years now. I can't stress enough how important it is to ensure you maintain your wellbeing. Mentally and physically. 

Regardless of the work you're assigned to do for your role, taking regular breaks and keeping active is so important. Sitting at your desk all day isn't healthy but getting up and moving about can be so beneficial. You'd do it in the office so why not do it at home? If you're worried about the time then think about how much work you'd do instead of commuting. It's also not healthy to have so much screen time and video calls without breaks. If you're workplace aren't championing healthy work/life balance then they're already doing something wrong. 

Agree with @The Palace Fan about being new in a company and having to work from home. My manager started work and then 4 months later COVID hit so for her getting to know people in the company was made hugely difficult. Even since we started working from home, generally you miss so much of what goes on in the office or for the company, but then that's where good communication comes in from the top. And to be honest because you've got a job to do you kind of get over not knowing (or at least not needing to know) trivial things you usually would around the office anyway. 

As a person that was WFH for a little over a decade this is so true. If you don't get a routine in and stick to it its terribly unhealthy for you. I had colleagues who would never take a break and they really suffered for it health-wise. Mentally its hard to stay concentrated but as long as you pace out work and taking breaks you'll be fine.

Also, invest in creating a space that fosters work productivity. Often you'll see people take up cramped spaces in their house just to get work done and it can be really hard to get work done. I work right next to the window and get a lot of sunlight in does wonders for my work.

Edited by Mel81x

• Administrator
19 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

As a person that was WFH for a little over a decade this is so true. If you don't get a routine in and stick to it its terribly unhealthy for you. I had colleagues who would never take a break and they really suffered for it health-wise. Mentally its hard to stay concentrated but as long as you pace out work and taking breaks you'll be fine.

Also, invest in creating a space that fosters work productivity. Often you'll see people take up cramped spaces in their house just to get work done and it can be really hard to get work done. I work right next to the window and get a lot of sunlight in does wonders for my work.

Agreed as well. I feel for those at our company (and probably millions of others) who were almost thrust in to WFH as a result of the pandemic. Having to work in bedrooms, kitchens, tiny spaces  I count myself very fortunate to have had ample space both when I was at my flat and back at home. 

Also can't stress enough to get as much fresh air as possible when it comes to taking breaks. Probably won't realise it at the time but it is so healthy for you to take that kind of break and not just be inside all the time. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
17 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Would anyone else's job be infinitely harder if Excel (or any sort of software that was anywhere remotely near it) never existed?

Yes, but it would be even harder if TF365 didn't exist :35_thinking:

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Wife has an interview today after reaching out to a company in Raleigh yesterday. I imagine she'll knock it out of the park and they will want her soon, so we may have to move up to Raleigh soon and join @SchalkeUK's family in RTP. 

Looking for houses at the moment, but if this is something that'll need to be done within a month, we'll likely have to move to a apartment until we can sell a house and buy another house. 

We've tossed this idea around as my job is based out of RTP, but they don't require me to move up there, but it would be nice for a change of scenario and having co-workers close. 

We shall see. 

7 minutes ago, SchalkeUK said:

My Daughter has bought a house in Holly Springs - a really nice area with a public pool about 4 minutes walk from the house and easy to get to the triangle and Raleigh and Cary.

Might be worth a look if you have to move.

Nice! I think we are looking at Willow Springs, which isn't far, much cheaper, and more land. But really you can't go wrong with Cary, Apex, and Holly Springs.