Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

How would you rate this World Cup?

How would you rate this World Cup (1 - Worst to 10- Best)  

28 members have voted

1. 1. What do you rate this World Cup?

A lot of great memories of this world cup, a ton of drama, and some spectacular goals. 

So, how would you rate this world cup out of 10 (Greatest)

7 some really great moments and some really dull quality on the other hand. But overall an enjoyable tournament.

Also taking into factor all the negative press we had before the World Cup.

I went with 9/10. 

The best I've ever seen, but still some questions with VAR and some questionable decisions. Also, without Italy, USA and Netherlands it lost a bit of luster for me. 

A ton of great, close games....with late drama and some incredible stores. 

Probably the best World Cup as a whole I will ever watch. 

5 minutes ago, Eco said:

I went with 9/10. 

The best I've ever seen, but still some questions with VAR and some questionable decisions. Also, without Italy, USA and Netherlands it lost a bit of luster for me. 

A ton of great, close games....with late drama and some incredible stores. 

Probably the best World Cup as a whole I will ever watch. 

Has there been a World Cup which didn't had any ?

There might have been quite a few tight matches and upsets, but I thought it was pretty low on quality in terms of performances, overall. 5/10

Just now, nudge said:

There might have been quite a few tight matches and upsets, but I thought it was pretty low on quality in terms of performances, overall. 5/10

You know we are not rating the German team 

Can't really be objective here so I'm not gonna vote. With Italy being absent and Argentina being awful I had nothing to hope. Even Uruguay (my alternative option) let me down. I really have to forget about his world cup.

Went 9. Just for once I'm not going to be a moaning cunt about the lack of top class teams, VAR or anything else.

I thought in general the football was highly entertaining, there were loads of good goals and the fact that nobody has a standout team but several countries either had a good handful of quality players or strong team cohesion or some other method that allowed them to be competitive and go into most of their games with a realistic chance of getting a result. There was also a lot of diversity, different teams with different styles, formations, strengths and weaknesses.

So yeah it was good and credit to Russia for getting things right.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Devon Von Devon said:

You know we are not rating the German team 

I know, otherwise I'd have given it 1/10 xD 

But seriously, I watched most of the World Cup matches since 1994, and this tournament was one of the most underwhelming ones for me.

Just now, nudge said:

I know, otherwise I'd have given it 1/10 xD 

But seriously, I watched most of the World Cup matches since 1994, and this tournament was one of the most underwhelming ones for me.

Interesting - I watched all by 3 matches this world cup, and I was highly entertained. 

We also saw one of the best goals in WC history (Pavard against Argentina), and 3 of the biggest gaffs by GKs (France Today, Argentina against Croatia, and then the one where it goes through the goalie's mitts). 

First I remember is 1998. I think this year just edges '98 as the best for me

From the ones I've seen in my lifetime, about 8.

It was my favourite since the 2006 World Cup. 

Quality-wise it was bad and most of the tournament was just boring. Definitely the worst worldcup I've seen yet.

3/10

• Upvote 1

8 for me.    it should have been a 10 if japan and russia won their knock out games.

having ronaldo and messi go out on the same day is priceless in any world cup --  two players whom many think are gods in modern football but had to meet in the Departure area in the airport.     that's one of the highlights for me.

and my adoptive country of MA-DER-LAND RUS-YA !!!   People have scrubbed them off at the start of the tournament being at the bottom of the world standings but they gave it their all and didn't disappoint their home fans, their supreme overlord Putin and their new found fans around the world.    A host nation getting beaten in the Quarters in a penalty shoot-out.  Not bad at all.

best game for me was  Belgium Vs Japan.   That was literally a David and Goliath match.   That last minute winner for Belgium, being asian, that truly stabbed my heart and it hurt like shit.

the most boring of them all was Russia Vs Spain. 

best team -- France.   it's not becoz they've won, but they've been solid in all their games.

worst team - should i mention argentina and portugal ???   by i would give the worst to England.    

best player -- perissseeeecccchhhhh.

worst player -- the entire Colombian team.

21 minutes ago, Faithcore said:

Quality-wise it was bad and most of the tournament was just boring. Definitely the worst worldcup I've seen yet.

3/10

Your viewpoint is skewed by that hissy fit you had and stopped posting.

I preferred this to Rio and South Africa. I really enjoyed Germany at the time due to the mental goals with that ridiculously light football. I would probably have this World Cup on a successful par with that.

Korea was enjoyable for an eleven year old school kid but watching the tournament back, it was clearly rigged and an absolute farce. France was great again at seven but given my age I can't really use it for comparison.

Quality wise terrible in my view. There were some sparse moments with Modrić, Mbappé, Cristiano Ronaldo and Rakitić.  But the rest was distorted and disoriented in my opinion.  It was very messy! (Had to get his name in somehow, some way!) :ph34r:

Very overrated at some points by some folk that want uncontrolled madness but as for legendary World Cup moments?  Not there for me in the end.

• Upvote 1

It was fine. Had some cracking matches, but also a lot of mediocrity.

9 for me. The only thing stopping it being 10 was the amount of top sides who didn't really turn up.

Poor in terms of quality but good in terms of entertainment. 

It's been disappointing in some ways. The poor displays from the likes of Germany, Spain, Argentina, Portugal and Colombia to name a few has been a bit sad. Yeah, it's been positive for other nations and it can get boring watching the same countries dominate, like how you see in some domestic sides, but ultimately people expected better from those nations mentioned above and we've potentially missed out on games that, on paper, would have had people salivating. On the flip side to that, we've had positive performances from England, Belgium, Croatia, Russia and Japan and it's been nice, especially from an English perspective, to see some nations with less expectations exceed those expectations and perform well. 

But entertainment wise we've had South Korea beating Germany, the six-goal draw between Portugal and Spain, England hitting Panama for six, Iceland holding Argentina, that Toni Kroos free-kick, England winning a penalty shootout and Russia beating Spain to name a few games that have been entertaining. 

Given it a 9/10, based on entertainment solely. Best WC since France 1998.

But, like Toni said, there wasn't any legendary moment, one that you will still talk about 20 years from now.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, ASF said:

But, like Toni said, there wasn't any legendary moment, one that you will still talk about 20 years from now.

true. I think for some individual nations there's some big talking points though, albeit not 'legendary'.

Peru back at a World Cup.
England winning a penalty shoot-out.
Germany being eliminated at group stage after their long-run of qualifying out of them in previous World Cups.
Panama scoring their first World Cup goals ever.

The only other general thing you could say that people may still talk about in years to come would be the introduction and consequent controversy of VAR at a World Cup.

• Upvote 1

@ASF forgot to mention this.

This is definitely legendary xD

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, ASF said:

I think this has a great shout...

tenor.gif

The best one in my lifetime and I have been watching world cups and euros since 2002.

Gave it an 8. Its high on entertainment I'll give it that because when you go start watching these and 'expect' things to happen and they don't it generates a different kind of buzz and excitement. I think the drama of teams that didn't qualify, teams that should have done well but didn't and then finally the way the groups started panning out were all very good. VAR has a long way to go but it did do some things right at this tournament and in the next four years its going to be far more solid and decisive than it was this time around. 

But the best WC I have ever watched? Not really. I credit that one to Italia 90, way too much madness and excitement at that one for me to not love.

Few of the funnier bits from the world cup. 

That Batshuayi clip will NEVER get old xD

14 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Your viewpoint is skewed by that hissy fit you had and stopped posting.

It's obvious that you don't know me at all. Otherwise you'd know that my absent was nothing but a (questionable) joke.

I used the time to actually pay attention to the matches :P