talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Last movie you watched?

football forum

Had 4 days off to myself and have smashed a load of films out I've wanted to see. Short summaries only.

Coco - 8/10 - Very good. Not quite the pinnacle of Pixar but close. Brilliant heart-warming storyline that is sure to tug at the heart strings and as usual with Pixar, a good mix of humour and song. And very good to see Disney embrace the Mexican culture. This will be a big hit.

Brawl in Cell Block 99 - 7/10 Better than I expected. Vince Vaughn is unrecognisable as his great big brick shithouse of a character and it's without doubt, one of his best performance's. Start's as an initial slow-burner then get's quite gritty and bubbles along nicely when we learn the main plot of the film. The action scenes are absolutely savage as is the harsh realities of prison life and it's all about following Vaughn's journey to gain redemption.

Jigsaw - 2/10 Gash. Can't say I've ever enjoyed a Saw film since the first one. 

American Made - 8/10 Tom Cruise back to his best in the true life telling of Barry Seal. A remarkable story told at a continuous pace with plenty of action and humour. For me, this reminded me a lot of War Dogs so if you enjoyed that, you'll like this. All in all a very entertaining rise and fall story with all the glitz and glamour around it.

12 Years a Slave - 9/10 Somehow missed seeing this upon it's initial release till it was on TV tonight. Brilliant watch. Chiwetel Ejiofor and Michael Fassbender are absolutely unreal in this, particularly the latter as the 'bad guy'. The story is excellent and really hits home the message about slavery and what people really went through. The score by Hans Zimmer compliments the cinematography and leaves you feeling like you've just watched an epic.

Blade Runner 2049 (2017)

The best unexpected and at first weird sequel there ever was. The visuals were stunning and they did a great job to re-create the atmosphere of the first movie. Ryan Gosling's best performance to date, and Harrison Ford actually acted like he gives a shit for once. The story was great too, and not as expected as they first make you believe. Denis Villeneuve keeps impressing. One of the best directors around. 

9/10

• Subscriber
17 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Blade Runner 2049 (2017)

The best unexpected and at first weird sequel there ever was. The visuals were stunning and they did a great job to re-create the atmosphere of the first movie. Ryan Gosling's best performance to date, and Harrison Ford actually acted like he gives a shit for once. The story was great too, and not as expected as they first make you believe. Denis Villeneuve keeps impressing. One of the best directors around. 

9/10

8cf4f65884b46f0a05ad3ad53a6341ee352cf543

Training Day 8/10

Not for those prone to anxiety. This suspense film had my heart beating from start to finish, the lingering feeling doom never faded; every second feels like an eternity where a million things could go wrong. Ethan Hawke's performance is underrated juxtaposed to Denzel Washington's larger than life character. A damn fine film with only one moment that I disliked; the very contrived and predictable 'no good deed goes unrewarded' moment; those who has seen the film know what I mean.

• Upvote 1

Although I adore the Godfather, I don't really want to watch it again because it's perfect and I remember near all of it. BUT the dumbass ball and chain has never seen in some bizarre glitch of reality. So here is my preemptive review of the Godfather.

10/10
just watch the fucking thing already

On 16/01/2018 at 01:28, Blue said:

Jumanji

8/10

Fun and original idea. Characters were a bit cliche but it was great fun anyways, although I thought the ending was too predictable.

You in about the new one?

'Hidden Figures'

7/10

'Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol'

5/10

'The Lego Batman Movie'

7/10

'After Hours'

6/10

'Kong: Skull Island'

3/10

'Rumble Fish'

5/10

'Broken Arrow'

3/10

'Le Violon Rouge'

6/10

'The Tall T'

6.5/10

'L'Atalante'

6/10

'Harold and Maude'

8/10

'Great Expectations'

9.5/10

'Salvador'

8.5/10

'Swingers'

7.5/10

• Subscriber

The Cell - 7/10 - Im a big fan of Vincent D'Onofrio. I had been meaning to watch this movie for awhile but when i found out he was in it I immediately put everything down to watch. Jennifer Lopez is not a good actress, she was miscast and not believeable at all it definitely took away from the movie. The visuals where something else even for an 18 year old movie, the sci fi horror esque scenes where quite creepy, up there with Event Horizon for me. The story was interesting and thats what drew me in originally. I wont say too much but ill link the IMDB for anyone interested its worth a watch. 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0209958/

Edited by Viva la FCB

• Subscriber

Hero - 10/10 Hands down my favourite foreign film of all time. Ive seen it countless times and i will never get bored, infact it still gives me goosebumps. The story is something special, lots of messages and emotions. The visuals are absolutely stunning from start to finish. An absolute master piece.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0299977/

I, Tonya - 8/10.

I wouldn't say I was blown away by it but then it's a difficulty style of film to be blown away by, but it was a great watch and I'd happily watch it again. Margot Robbie was fantastic in it as was Allison Janney, both worked together really well and deservedly up for nominations.

Sebastian Stan was good in it also, he portrayed well a really dis-likeable character. An honourable mention goes to Paul Hauser who again portrayed someone really dis-likeable but also hilarious without meaning to be, their relationship together in the film was a nice break from the triangle between Tonya, her mother and Sebastian Stan's character.

At first I thought I was going to have to sit through 2 hours of Ice Skating which didn't fill me with joy xD But in the end the storyline and those moments were all gripping throughout. Really good film.

The knee break scene was brilliant as well, from the build up to the arrest it was non-stop

• Administrator

The Beach

7.5/10

I'd amazingly never seen it before. Knew of the classic scene where he falls face first on to the sand thanks to the All Saints Pure Shores video xD. The soundtrack to the film is  great. The actress who plays Francoise is fit. Enjoy Keaty's character. Got a bit weird when he got really trippy and it's as if we're in the middle of a video game. 

Liked t though. Surprised myself that I hadn't seen it before last night. 

• Upvote 1

The Florida Project - If the purpose of this film was to make you sympathetic towards Willem Dafoe's character and hate everyone else in it and hate everyone in real life that are like those characters then what a film. 5/10

Edited by 6666

Don't Look Now

6.5/10

I felt like I liked what it was trying to do but ended up a bit bored, and the look of the film doesn't really hold up well since the 1970s. There's a lot of interesting scenes especially with the visuals but sometimes it descends into fairly boring, excessive slo-mo shots. 

Donald Sutherland is really good in it but overall the plot is a bit dull, although with again some interesting ideas and moments. 

I could maybe give it a 7 since it at least tries some new unusual things for the time, and is a really original, slow-burner of a thriller film.