talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

VAR in the Premier League

9 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Playing devil's advocate I can see why referees have been hesitant to agree to this because nobody will ever want to interview a referee for a good performance. It will just be for the 50/50 and crap decisions.

It's not an interview? It's recordings of the conversations between the officials for VAR decisions.

4 hours ago, LFCMike said:

It's not an interview? It's recordings of the conversations between the officials for VAR decisions.

It’s the same concept in fairness. Referees are rarely congratulated for doing a good job but are completely vilified for doing it badly. Which I do get on an occasion as some performances can be terrible, but they are not protected by clubs at all so someone has to do it. 

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, Danny said:

It’s the same concept in fairness. Referees are rarely congratulated for doing a good job but are completely vilified for doing it badly. Which I do get on an occasion as some performances can be terrible, but they are not protected by clubs at all so someone has to do it. 

Not quite the same concept.

These are recordings between officials. Whoever releases them could choose to release some and not others.

Interviews are live, there and then, unedited etc. 

19 minutes ago, Stan said:

Not quite the same concept.

These are recordings between officials. Whoever releases them could choose to release some and not others.

Interviews are live, there and then, unedited etc. 

But the reaction will still be the same, interview or not

• Upvote 1

• 6 months later...
  • Administrator

Officials had a mare yesterday. This is just one of them, let alone the Norgaard farce and the Palace/Brighton offside decision. 

Davies head is literally beyond the red line. Mike Dean was the VAR ref. He's clearly only looked at Dier and not further up. 

7 hours ago, Stan said:

Errors were made, but I actually like the accountability they're taking. Doesn't change the fact the errors were made, but you can only hope things improve for the future. 

I think Howard Webb is a positive appointment. The last idiot made so many rule changes it just convoluted what is meant to be a simple game.

14 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

I was in a bar earlier and a goal got ruled out in the Juventus game by the stud of an ankle when another Fiorentina player scored from 20 yards in the 89th minute.

I'm pro VAR but stuff like that is killing the game. Clear and obvious is a player offside by a good yard. Not by a stud.

The thing is if you give a tolerance people will say it's only just over the tolerance. It's pretty black and white if your offside your offside. I think perhaps the rules could be changed. Maybe your whole leg or body has to be offside because what advantage do you have being 5 mm offside. When offside was introduced they didn't have var so it was designed for that time. With the system they used in the world Cup it will be even more accurate so perhaps a rule change would be a good idea 

23 hours ago, Stan said:

Errors were made, but I actually like the accountability they're taking. Doesn't change the fact the errors were made, but you can only hope things improve for the future. 

Usually they would just move on so I agree it's a good thing. Especially when the mistakes regarding drawing lines basically just came down to laziness so that should be addressed.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Administrator

Almost two-thirds of supporters have said they oppose the use of the video assistant referee (VAR) system in English football.

A fans' survey published on Wednesday found that 63.3% were against VAR, with 79.1% of match-goers rating their experience of VAR as poor or very poor.

That contrasts with a 2017 survey by the Football Supporters' Association - prior to VAR's introduction - which found 74.6% of fans favoured the use of video referees to support on-field officials with game-changing decisions.

The National Supporters Survey was commissioned by the FSA and covered 9,645 fans, running online in March and April.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65971724

• Administrator
39 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

A lot of quantitative data there and a very biased article. I wonder how many people in this survey don't like VAR in its current form, but believe with changes it would be beneficial. 

I remember doing the survey and saying pretty much this. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66057001

The majority of global leagues want dialogue between referees and the video assistant referee (VAR) to be aired by broadcasters, a survey has found.

The Premier League was among 41 competitions surveyed by the World Leagues Forum, which is chaired by the Premier League's Richard Masters.

Twenty-five of the leagues surveyed said they were in favour of the move.

It comes after almost two-thirds of supporters said they oppose the use of VAR in English football.

The Premier League, where Masters is chief executive, declined to comment on whether it supports such a change after the anonymous survey.

Football's lawmaking body, the International Football Association Board (Ifab), currently does not allow the two-way audio feed to be heard by television audiences.

A survey of fans in England, from which the results were published in June, found 63.3% were against VAR with 79.1% of match-goers rating their experience of VAR as poor or very poor.

That contrasts with a 2017 survey by the Football Supporters' Association - prior to VAR's introduction - which found 74.6% of fans favoured the use of video referees to support on-field officials with game-changing decisions.

The World Leagues Forum was set up in 2016 and represents 41 professional football league bodies, including France's LFP, Germany's Bundesliga, Italy's Serie A and Spain's LaLiga.

• Subscriber

I think airing the decision-making process would make it easier for viewers to understand what is actually going on and how the VAR team comes to the conclusions they do. Will it be perfect on day 1? No. But it will get better over time.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mel81x said:

I think airing the decision-making process would make it easier for viewers to understand what is actually going on and how the VAR team comes to the conclusions they do. Will it be perfect on day 1? No. But it will get better over time.

Absolutely. If we can hear the decision making process being made you get a sense of what the fuck they're actually thinking. Right now when there's VAR review and they spend time going over the replays and coming to the wrong decision we're all just left with a sense of "what the fuck, do they not have working eyeballs?"

People make mistakes and they're in a high profile & high pressure job, so having us hear what's happening will make humanise them a bit and probably get people raging at how bad referees are... and I say this as someone who thinks the officials get far too much protection from their bosses in the top flight.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...