talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Your Club - 2020/21 Season Review

Player of the Year – Fernandes.

Young Player of the Year – Greenwood.

Most Improved Player – Pogba just in front of Shaw. We struggled when he got injured and both good runs were when he was playing. Also, second half of the season he took pressure off Fernandes with his creativity. If only he could do this every week.

Flop Player of the Year – VDB

Season Score out of 10 – 9/10 as there has been improvement, but the CL exit was poor.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • The title was changed to Your Club - 2020/21 Season Review
  • Administrator

Player of the Season - Youri Tielemans

YPOTY - Wesley Fofana

Most Improved - Harvey Barnes

FOTY - Ayoze Perez

Score - 8.5/10. Can't knock the club for adding another trophy - it being an FA Cup means it has greater importance considering it's the one trophy that has eluded us. Qualified for Europe again but very frustrating we were in a winning position (and Chelsea were losing) that we weren't able to qualify for CL. The points lost earlier in the season are probably more impacting of it all though - home defeats to Villa, Fulham, West Ham, Everton, Newcastle were even more frustrating. Having said all of that, we've had to contend with a ridiculous amount of injuries - it was typical of the season we've had that Fofana went down early in the game yesterday. Justin, Pereira, Ndidi, Soyuncu, Evans, Barnes, Castagne, Maddison have all missed big chunks of the season and it's affected us massively. We've still finished in the top 6, incredibly close to top 4, and won a trophy. I can be satisfied with that. 

Adding one in:

Goal of the Season - Youri Tielemans vs Chelsea for the occasion. Iheanacho vs Burnley otherwise.

Player of the Season - Has to be Harry Kane. Son and Hojbjerg were fantastic in parts, Bale has generally had a massive influence when he's played but it has to be Kane for sheer consistency. 

Young Player of the Year - I don't think I can say Skipp because he's not played actually for us this year so I will have to say Joe Rodon who shows good potential.

Most Improved Player - Tanguy Ndombele. Still not at the level we need him but massively improved after last season's debacle.

Flop of the Year - A lot of candidates but for me, Eric Dier. Finally given the position he wanted and complete managerial trust and has been a liability. Matt Doherty and Harry Winks have been disappointing too. You could argue Dele Alli too but I'd argue he's not been given a proper chance.

Score - 4/10. Mostly dire and uninspiring, Only reason it's now lower is that brief period we were top, we got to a final and somehow managed to quality. How we did all that when it's been so bad, I don't know. The summer is vital.

Player of the Year – Mo Salah.

Young Player of the Year – Trent Alexander-Arnold

Most Improved Player – Nat Phillips

Flop Player of the Year – Tsimikas has barely been fit

Season Score out of 10 – 6/10. Did well in the end in difficult circumstances to salvage a place in the CL next season

4 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Player of the Year – Mo Salah.

Young Player of the Year – Trent Alexander-Arnold

Most Improved Player – Nat Phillips

Flop Player of the Year – Tsimikas has barely been fit

Season Score out of 10 – 6/10. Did well in the end in difficult circumstances to salvage a place in the CL next season

This. Maybe Ben Davies for flop of the year too

• Subscriber

Player of the Year – Dominic Calvert-Lewin.

Young Player of the Year – Ben Godfrey.

Most Improved Player – Tom Davies.

Flop Player of the Year – Mason Holgate for being a liability in the second half of the season, Jonjoe Kenny for being so shit we started Iwobi at right wing back at one point and loaned him to Celtic, Fabian Delph for being injured all season and me forgetting about him, Jean-Phillipe Gbamin for getting injured again in training days after finally making his comeback, Andre Gomes for seeming to deliberately play to his own weaknesses by never getting on the ball and always finding himself chasing and missing tackles, Alex Iwobi, Bernard and Josh King, for scoring two league goals between them all season and generally offering nothing from the bench even when Richarlison and Calvert-Lewin were playing injured.

Season Score out of 10 – 5/10. Poor league finish, failed to address issue of home form all season, bottled easy wins after getting ourselves in a great position. Cup runs the definition of average, beat the teams we should have but got outclassed pretty comfortably when we came up against better teams.

POTY - Stuart Dallas

YPOTY - Pascal Struijk  Illan Meslier (forgot about his clean sheet record)

MIP - Giving this to Bamford as no one expected him to step up and be Top 5 goalscorer in PL.

FPOTY - Tyler Roberts

Season Score - 10/10.  Expected Leeds to stay up but never thought we'd be top half.  Consolidate and go again next season.

• Subscriber

Player of the Year - Bruno
Young Player of the Year - Shola Shoretire
Most improved player - Shaw
Flop player of the year - Pogba (Hot and Cold like a bloody shower gone wrong)
Score - 6/10 (OT was once a fortress, not any more, we play better away than at home) 

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

This. Maybe Ben Davies for flop of the year too

To be fair Ben Davies was only signed for about £500k wasn't he? Tsimikas was over £11m and might as well not have been here this season

1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

To be fair Ben Davies was only signed for about £500k wasn't he? Tsimikas was over £11m and might as well not have been here this season

Yeah it’s gotta be the Greek lad then

Player of the Year - N'golo Kante
Young Player of the Year - Mason Mount
Most improved player - Rudiger
Flop player of the year - Pulisic & Ziyech
Score - 7/10. Can be a 9/10 should we win the CL. 

6 hours ago, Coma said:

POTY - Stuart Dallas

YPOTY - Pascal Struijk  Illan Meslier (forgot about his clean sheet record)

MIP - Giving this to Bamford as no one expected him to step up and be Top 5 goalscorer in PL.

FPOTY - Tyler Roberts

Season Score - 10/10.  Expected Leeds to stay up but never thought we'd be top half.  Consolidate and go again next season.

I can't really add anything differently to this. Would be exactly the same for me.

7 hours ago, MUFC said:

Player of the Year – Fernandes.

Young Player of the Year – Greenwood.

Most Improved Player – Pogba just in front of Shaw. We struggled when he got injured and both good runs were when he was playing. Also, second half of the season he took pressure off Fernandes with his creativity. If only he could do this every week.

Flop Player of the Year – VDB

Season Score out of 10 – 9/10 as there has been improvement, but the CL exit was poor.

This. But Shaw over Pogba. Best LB in the league at times last year.

Player of the Year – Chekiou Kouyate. The fan boys will vote Zaha but Kouyate has spent the whole season playing out of position because our four centre-backs have routinely been getting injured. The biggest compliment I can give him is that you wouldn't think watching him that this is a new position for him.

Young Player of the Year – Ebere Eze. The influence he has on the team when he's allowed to play in a free role has been brilliant, I really hope the injury doesn't have a significant impact on his development as we could have some player on our books.

Most Improved Player – Christian Benteke. Having no crowd and playing for a contract has done him the world of good. He looks like the player we had in his first season.

Flop Player of the Year – Mahmadou Sakho. Cost in the region of thirty million and we can barely get a performance out of him. Notable mentions to Nathan Ferguson who we are yet to get a performance out of, and the quartet of Luka, PVA, Ayew and Batshuayi who have failed to put in the performances we have come to expect based on previous seasons. 

Season Score out of 10 – 6/10. I don't think this was our lowest point total since being in the Premier League but it feels like it. Everything seems to have gone stale since the restart and I'll be encouraging people to put money on us getting relegated next season.

• Subscriber

Player of the Year – Youri Tielemans. Think he was excellent throughout. Played virtually every game in every competition which is mad considering a lot of last season he looked a bit leggy despite playing far less. He's the heartbeat of the team and the player which most of our play goes through. He also scored one of the most iconic goals we've ever scored - maybe even the most. Easy winner for me.

Young Player of the Year – Wesley Fofana. Had a couple of off moments but for the most part he's been a class act, very good defender, very quick, strong, good on the ball. He was also very good in the cup final and another one of the big reasons we won it.

Most Improved Player – Kelechi Iheanacho. I think Barnes and Tielemans both had a case, but in reality I don't see how it can't be Iheanacho. When the January window shut, Iheanacho hadn't even scored a Premier League goal this season, yet he finishes the season with 12 league goals (more than Rashford, Mane, Zaha, Aubameyang, Antonio, Cavani for some context) and 19 in all competitions, meaning for the first time since 2015 our top scorer wasn't Vardy. He frequently dug us out of a hole late in the season with his goals and it's just a quite nice turnaround after how bad a first two years he had here.

Flop Player of the Year – Ayoze Perez. This was a very easy pick sadly. A year ago I wasn't impressed by him but bloody hell this year he's been even worse. For an attacking player, his last three goals (and only two this season) have come in different games against an abject Sheffield United, just the one assist, and just really generally poor performances. I'd cash in this summer - regardless of Europa League. He's nowhere near good enough.

Season Score out of 10 – 8.5/10. We quite early on managed to alleviate my fears that we could crash and burn a bit this season. We've dealt with pretty tough circumstances in terms of our injuries, having not named a strongest XI at any point during the season, secured European football again and finally, finally, got that FA Cup win, and my god did that feel good. Sadly though, you can't totally overlook the fact that yet again, we blew Champions League qualification when it was there on a plate for us. It's 100% a positive season, it's just such a shame that such a historic win last weekend still couldn't stop the season ending on a downer. But another good one and I think we're now a respected team to some degree - a lot of people will have us finishing above Arsenal next season with good reasons to, and I could never have imagined that to be the case.

Archived