talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Lionel Messi's Next Club - PSG Confirm Signing

football forum

Yeah, it's difficult to feel too sorry for Messi & Barcelona. I'm sure I read his latest contract had reduced his wages. But I'm sure they could have been reduced more, for a 34 year old, if he wanted to retire at the club. And still be paid more than 99% of footballers in Spain.

1 or 2 years at PSG.

Then a final swansong back in Argentina or the MLS.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Reluctant Striker said:

Yeah, it's difficult to feel too sorry for Messi & Barcelona. I'm sure I read his latest contract had reduced his wages. But I'm sure they could have been reduced more, for a 34 year old, if he wanted to retire at the club. And still be paid more than 99% of footballers in Spain.

1 or 2 years at PSG.

Then a final swansong back in Argentina or the MLS.

Even with him playing for free, the overall wage structure vs. the amount of money FC Barcelona have makes the move impossible

4 hours ago, Devil said:

He's that rich it's hard to take it all seriously, I mean he must earn enough from sponsors and endorsements to live a wealthy life anyway.

If he loved Barca as much as he claims then why didn't he play for a realistic salary over the next few years. 

4 hours ago, Toinho said:

This. 

Nah fuck that, why should he play for less than he is worth? It isn’t his fault that the club is run by morons and can’t plan for the future.

26 minutes ago, Spike said:

Nah fuck that, why should he play for less than he is worth? It isn’t his fault that the club is run by morons and can’t plan for the future.

Messi couldn't have played for free even if he wanted. 

La Liga demands that to register any new players (Messi's case since his contract ran out), the club's wage bill has to be at a maximum of 70% of its revenues. 

Barcelona is at 95% without Messi. 

A complaint has been filed with the European Commission in an attempt to prevent PSG from signing Messi. The complaint is based on financial facts, and claims that Financial Fair Play should rule PSG out of the running for Messi's signature (via @marca)

This could get messy :35_thinking:

Why didn't Barca sign him to a new contract during the season if they knew this was going to happen?

Something doesn't add up.

Reading above you can't register a new player but he wouldn't have been  new player if they'd extended his deal during the season.

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

For me if Messi loved Barca he would help them out and play for free and become an even bigger legend, he already has more money than he can spend the greedy prick

Under La Liga rules they still wouldn't be able to allow him to play for free because they'd be above the wage limit specified by La Liga.

Currently at 115%.

Messi playing for free brings it down to 95%.

Limit is 70% or 75%. 

Also, bit rich coming from a Man City fan talking about greed xD 

• Subscriber

I mean he does make a good point. How are PSG able to afford all this with the way they've been spending and FFP sanctions that they cleared not so long ago?

Edit: NVM FFP is dead so this is more a RFEF problem in La Liga than a PSG can afford it issue.

3 minutes ago, Stan said:

Under La Liga rules they still wouldn't be able to allow him to play for free because they'd be above the wage limit specified by La Liga.

Currently at 115%.

Limit is 70% or 75%. 

Well that's messed up if he cant play for free :what:  ..so, get Messi to play for free and sell some other players to hit the 75%??

Aguero wants out now too, what a mess :4_joy:

Not sure if im greedy :35_thinking: ..but i hope we sign Kane, Messi, Mbappe & Haaland in the next season or 2 :what:

• Subscriber

Hilarious how people can clutch at anything to just hate the great man.
The shite I’ve seen recently. And some of it from people I’d expect better from. Some of my mates in particular are so clueless sometimes 😂.

Seen two or three people mention those famous words "If he loves Barcelona so much, why doesn't he play for free?"

Who the fuck work's for free?

You earn as much buck as you can, whilst you can and you set your family and kids up for the future.

Play for free...fuck me... xD

9 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Seen two or three people mention those famous words "If he loves Barcelona so much, why doesn't he play for free?"

You earn as much buck as you can, whilst you can and you set your family and kids up for the future.

I think the point people are making is that it's a bit hypocritical to act like this is being forced upon Messi when the wages he wants is way above what most top players get. Of course asking a player to play for free is ridiculous but he could still get a decent amount while staying at Barcelona if he was so desperate to stay.

Personally don't blame Messi and regardless of the reasons behind it, it will obviously be emotional for him after spending so long at one club. The narrative that's being spun (by Barcelona more so than Messi to be fair) that both parties did everything possible and the league is forcing them apart is nonsense though.

3 hours ago, Stan said:

Currently at 115%.

Limit is 70% or 75%. 

When did depay and aguero sign and wouldn’t they have increases the % so how did they get signed?

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

not free but lower demands however it’s been pointed out since that - that wouldn’t happen anyway. So many Messi fanboys in here though. Yawn. 

• Administrator
19 minutes ago, Toinho said:

When did depay and aguero sign and wouldn’t they have increases the % so how did they get signed?

I don't think they've been registered yet. Not entirely sure on how the La Liga rules work to be quite honest. 

9 hours ago, Toinho said:

not free but lower demands however it’s been pointed out since that - that wouldn’t happen anyway. So many Messi fanboys in here though. Yawn. 

Have finally caught up on the saga. It appears he did offer to play for less - fair play!!

On 07/08/2021 at 19:16, Cicero said:

Forgot Icardi is still at PSG. Bet Messi will get him playing with the reserves. 

Domino effect could see two Juventus targets move towards other Serie A clubs

In their turn, the Giallorossi would replace the veteran striker with former Inter captain, Icardi. The Argentine has spent the last two campaigns in Paris, but has been struggling with playing time recently due to the strong competition.

https://www.juvefc.com/domino-effect-could-see-two-juventus-targets-move-towards-other-serie-a-clubs/

Messi hates Icardi for what he did to Maxi Lopez.

From what I've been told he basically won't have him in the Argi squad because of his dislike for him. 

Might all be nonsense but thats what I was told.

• The title was changed to Lionel Messi's Next Club - PSG Confirm Signing

Archived