talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Off Topic

football forum

• Subscriber

I love fresh, properly prepared fish... It's great. I especially like red snapper, barracuda, sea bass, marlin, catfish and flounder. Special shoutout to smoked salmon (with some salt, pepper and a touch of lime juice just before eating it) and brined/pickled herring (preferably directly from the barrel and accompanied with chopped raw onions). And a veeeery special shoutout goes to European smelt, fresh tiny fish that smell like cucumber when you fry them fresh and then eat as an appetizer... Haven't eaten it for more than a decade, miss it so much.

Seafood is amazing.

Talking of fish... I was reading this morning that Police shut down a Kuwaiti store because staff stuck googly eyes on the fish to make them look fresh.. 

One of the pictures posted online showed the fake eye slipping off the fish's face, revealing a much more yellow eye underneath in Kuwaiti shop One of the pictures posted online showed the fake eye slipping off the fish's face, revealing a much more yellow eye underneath in Kuwaiti shop

The Kuwaiti Ministry of Commerce closed the fish shop after it put 'fake lenses' on fish to make them look fresher, the newspaper in Kuwait added.

Social media users quickly mocked the shop owner's cheeky bid to get away with selling old fish with a series of hilarious memes that went viral.

To get in on the joke, a fish company in Kuwait announced it was selling 'fish without cosmetics', alongside a picture of a fish and a selection of different coloured contact lenses.

Matthew Dalby said on Twitter: 'Never judge the freshness of fish by the googliness of their eyes.'

LMAO... Let's be honest, some things are just so bizarre that they do crack you up.. xD

• Haha 3

On 28/08/2018 at 19:42, RandoEFC said:

I teach secondary. What type of concepts?

Sorry thought I had replied. Counting for one lol. Single digit addition and subtraction.... 

Just a whole range of things but I suppose in my brain I’m comparing them to students from abroad that I’ve taught and that’s not fair. 

I also forget they’re 7 and 8 years old. There’s just so many gaps in understanding. Meant to be teaching to the curriculum using a certain resource but said resource is ineffective (IMO) and bland, so am trying to go more hands on. Hopefully see improvement. 

Edited by Toinho

12 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

Talking of fish... I was reading this morning that Police shut down a Kuwaiti store because staff stuck googly eyes on the fish to make them look fresh.. 

One of the pictures posted online showed the fake eye slipping off the fish's face, revealing a much more yellow eye underneath in Kuwaiti shop One of the pictures posted online showed the fake eye slipping off the fish's face, revealing a much more yellow eye underneath in Kuwaiti shop

The Kuwaiti Ministry of Commerce closed the fish shop after it put 'fake lenses' on fish to make them look fresher, the newspaper in Kuwait added.

Social media users quickly mocked the shop owner's cheeky bid to get away with selling old fish with a series of hilarious memes that went viral.

To get in on the joke, a fish company in Kuwait announced it was selling 'fish without cosmetics', alongside a picture of a fish and a selection of different coloured contact lenses.

Matthew Dalby said on Twitter: 'Never judge the freshness of fish by the googliness of their eyes.'

LMAO... Let's be honest, some things are just so bizarre that they do crack you up.. xD

Did you hear about their Kuwait though? Bloody hours! 

So my grandmother has a house up north in Piura which is near the border with Ecuador and I am thinking of going there next year for a few months to cover the football nearby in Talara, Sullana and Piura itself. There are a lot of second and third division teams and I figured it would be a cool experience to go there for a bit.

I need to prepare for the heat though!

2 hours ago, Blue said:

So my grandmother has a house up north in Piura which is near the border with Ecuador and I am thinking of going there next year for a few months to cover the football nearby in Talara, Sullana and Piura itself. There are a lot of second and third division teams and I figured it would be a cool experience to go there for a bit.

I need to prepare for the heat though!

See if you can blow some of that hot air in this direction as we enter Autumn in these lands.  I'm honestly contemplating taking early retirement to somewhere where the weather is stable and warm (not hot) all year round.

On 24/08/2018 at 22:45, Stan said:

Spent the best part of 10 and a half hours today moving out of my flat with the help of my dad. Moving back home as my flat is now being rented from next week, which will help towards saving for future i.e house and wedding. 

I'm absolutely shattered. Been in my flat 3 years and it wasn't even the stuff that generally accumulates in a property. There was so much heavy furniture which we kinda underestimated and it was just us 2 moving it and then loading/unloading from the van. Feel like if just gone through a boot camp/insanity workout xD

Think how much crap we had when we moved with the kids stuff and everything... There was so much to move I said to the missus it would be cheaper to leave everything and start over again.. xD

On 27/08/2018 at 21:01, Spike said:

I'm about to fucking cry, I'm so angry and upset. My dearly beloved record collection which was in storage has been water damaged. A collection upwards of $500, with albums from my childhood that I did chores to afford have effectively been destroyed. CDs! The water damage is so severe the jewel cases themselves and the discs are growing fucking mold. FUCKING MOLD ON THE DISCS. I've loved and taken care of these things since I was a child, and there are albums that my wife feels the same way about. Some are second generation handy downs from family members, gifts. I feel like a chunk of childhood has been spat on. 

If the motherfucks don't pay out compensation for this, I'm going mental.

Sorry to hear about that Spike... Got a decent record collection myself so know how that must feel... 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Bluewolf said:

Think how much crap we had when we moved with the kids stuff and everything... There was so much to move I said to the missus it would be cheaper to leave everything and start over again.. xD

my original plan was to leave most the stuff in the flat but because it'd been on the market so long, we'd finally found someone and they didn't want the furniture so in order for them to take it, we decided to remove it all. So now my dad's garage is full of furniture :D 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SirBalon said:

See if you can blow some of that hot air in this direction as we enter Autumn in these lands.  I'm honestly contemplating taking early retirement to somewhere where the weather is stable and warm (not hot) all year round.

Lima is quite the cool city. It doesn't get too hot in the summer and winters are usually quite cold.

Piura on the other hand, is extreme heat year round. I really am considering staying there for a couple months despite that. 

3 minutes ago, Blue said:

Lima is quite the cool city. It doesn't get too hot in the summer and winters are usually quite cold.

Piura on the other hand, is extreme heat year round. I really am considering staying there for a couple months despite that. 

I don't like extreme heat and I hate the cold mate.

Looks like the only stable place for me with 25° almost all year round (+ in the summer obviously) is the Canary Islands.  Doesn't get tropical storms either which is a vital point.

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

I don't like extreme heat and I hate the cold mate.

Looks like the only stable place for me with 25° almost all year round (+ in the summer obviously) is the Canary Islands.  Doesn't get tropical storms either which is a vital point.

Depends on what you classify as cold.

Lima gets down to minimum 5 degrees in the winters, and usually only at night. If you're from England, you won't feel the cold for many years. Often I'm asked by locals why I'm out in a t shirt at 16 degrees. I still don't feel cold here haha #JustCanadianThings

Sometimes we get heatwaves but this past summer was actually pretty cool compared to what we had 2 years ago. Depends on when El Niño wants to strike.

1 minute ago, Blue said:

Depends on what you classify as cold.

Lima gets down to minimum 5 degrees in the winters, and usually only at night. If you're from England, you won't feel the cold for many years. Often I'm asked by locals why I'm out in a t shirt at 16 degrees. I still don't feel cold here haha #JustCanadianThings

Sometimes we get heatwaves but this past summer was actually pretty cool compared to what we had 2 years ago. Depends on when El Niño wants to strike.

Anything other than 20° minimum and I'm moaning.  5° is freezing for me mate!