talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Luton in the Premier League (hopefully for more than one season)

Just now, Stan said:

What an odd thing to bring up xD

Nothing rids anything from that cancer of a human. 

Is it really that odd? For a foreigner that guy was most famous thing about Luton for a very long time. In fact when I was reading this topic all I could think of was ‘what do I know Luton from….oh yeah that guy’. I wouldn’t expect you to have any knowledge of smallish towns in Australia outside of events or people associated.

Since there's no Luton fans here safe to ruin their thread a bit.

The one thing that always sticks in my mind about Luton is an FA Cup game years ago where they kept shouting "Freak" every time Peter Crouch touched the ball. I thought that a level of banter that went too far.

38 minutes ago, Honey Honey said:

Since there's no Luton fans here safe to ruin their thread a bit.

The one thing that always sticks in my mind about Luton is an FA Cup game years ago where they kept shouting "Freak" every time Peter Crouch touched the ball. I thought that a level of banter that went too far.

I remember them for having astroturf, that stuffs not fun to play rugby on ..and 12 garden sheds banged together to make a stadium :ph34r:

Kenilworth Road Stadium has a capacity of around 10,000 people. Plans have already been put in place to increase the capacity of the stadium, but I think it's a bit of a race against time to have it ready for  the new Premier League season.

On 28/05/2023 at 15:32, Spike said:

Is it really that odd? For a foreigner that guy was most famous thing about Luton for a very long time. In fact when I was reading this topic all I could think of was ‘what do I know Luton from….oh yeah that guy’. I wouldn’t expect you to have any knowledge of smallish towns in Australia outside of events or people associated.

Andrew Tate grew up there as well.

For me Luton are the old astroturf side from another era. They were kind of Wimbledon, before Wimbledon were Wimbledon. People either loved how unconventional they were. Or disliked them for it.

As for 'celebrity' connections, I am fairly sure Nick Owen is a fan. Nick Owen & Anne Diamond were a national TV presenting team a few years back. In more recent years he has been BBC Midlands Today (local news) presenter.

And personally I have been near Luton airport a few times, for work reasons. If you are curious, it seemed to be all fields & main roads. Not quite 1 thing or another sort of place.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Reluctant Striker said:

For me Luton are the old astroturf side from another era. They were kind of Wimbledon, before Wimbledon were Wimbledon. People either loved how unconventional they were. Or disliked them for it.

As for 'celebrity' connections, I am fairly sure Nick Owen is a fan. Nick Owen & Anne Diamond were a national TV presenting team a few years back. In more recent years he has been BBC Midlands Today (local news) presenter.

And personally I have been near Luton airport a few times, for work reasons. If you are curious, it seemed to be all fields & main roads. Not quite 1 thing or another sort of place.

It's a bit of a shit hole to be fair. 

There's an area as you come in to Luton just off the A6 which is very nice, massive houses near Barnfield College. But beyond that it's a massive dive xD

• Subscriber

Fair play to the players and the manager and club as a whole.

Who gives a fuck about the cunts from the town or how their stadium isn’t up to the Premier league standard. Gotta love an underdog story. I hope they stay up next season. 

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Dan said:

It's not true about them being the first to go non-league to Premier League. Wigan seemed to have been erased from memory here.

Top flight to non-league and then back to top-flight. 

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Luton in the Premier League (hopefully for more than one season)
  • 1 month later...

Luton have been handed an exemption by the Premier League and will be allowed to begin the season without installing undersoil heating.

The top flight rulebook currently states that such facilities must be part of any stadium with several clubs, Bournemouth among them in 2015, having to bring it in after winning promotion from the Championship. Luton's Kenilworth Road was hosting non-league games less than a decade ago.