talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool Discussion

football forum

5 hours ago, Rick said:

If he's happy to be a squad player, then I'm happy to have him. He's delivered with some big goals this season, deserves another contract.

Yeah but if he's not third or fourth choice for that forward spot by September we've done something wrong. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
10 hours ago, Stan said:

That's a different take on Kylie's song...

12 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I can't get the Virgil Van Djik song out of my head

Why would you both ruin such a fantastic sexuall overdriven song. Now all I can see is Virgil singing those words ... :(

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, El Profesor said:

Interesting stat, Firmino has never won a title in his career. It´s kinda amazing that a footballer of such high profile and at his age has never lifted a trophy.  

I think its a bit weird too but its also more down to the fact that hes been with teams that haven't really been able to push until the end as well. I think he'll get a trophy soon. The way things are going we will eventually lift silverware. I watched him for Brazil as well and felt like hes almost the odd man out there with the way its setup but I could be wrong?

• Subscriber

1162351933_DONTDELETE.thumb.png.f7d7fb0c0b2e56d4a999953dd089644b.png

Jurgen Klopp: Liverpool title bid was only first step

2048050332_download(1).thumb.png.16cd7d56d7f4692c4dcd967b885bed92.png

Liverpool "tried everything" to win the Premier League title but finishing second to Manchester City was "only the first step", says manager Jurgen Klopp.

The Reds beat Wolves 2-0 to finish on 97 points; the highest ever points tally for any runner-up in any of Europe's top five leagues.

"We wanted to write our own history and we did," Klopp told BBC Sport.

"The team made so many big steps in the last year. We made a much bigger jump development wise."

'Klopp restores Liverpool's fire to offer hope amid title pain'

The best top two ever - stats behind title battle

The German added: "The boys pushed themselves to new levels, which I love, and that development and improvement is not finished. It is the first try. This team is one of the best that ever played for Liverpool; 100%.

"As long as Manchester City are around with their financial power, no team will pass them easily. We need to be very close to perfection to win the Premier League as long as this is the case."

The Reds, who last won the league in 1990, face Tottenham in the Champions League final on Saturday, 1 June.

Liverpool finished fourth last season, 25 points behind champions City, but the Reds pushed Pep Guardiola's side all the way this season, losing just once to finish one point behind them.

At one stage in the first half on Sunday they were winning and Brighton was beating Manchester City, which would have been enough to give the Reds the title - leading to a loud roar at Anfield.

City went on to win 4-1.

"It is difficult to prepare a team for a situation like that, we score and Brighton score," said Klopp. "It was a boost to a very good atmosphere. Going nuts. Wolves used it actually.

"Then it calmed down. It was clear when the atmosphere was not ecstatic anymore something had happened we didn't like at Brighton."

But Klopp, whose last major trophies were the 2012 German domestic double with Borussia Dortmund, is confident the Reds' title battle bodes well for the future.

"The team made so many big steps in the last year," he said. "The boys were all there from last season apart from [goalkeeper] Alisson.

"It's a very special season, a better season than I played with my team [Dortmund] when we were champions in Germany. But we cannot ignore one team were better.

"It's clear we were lucky in moments like City were. We were unlucky against City but scored in the last second against Everton and late on against Newcastle - they could have been draws as well.

"The season is a very long, hard one. You have to deal with setbacks. We were always competitive. City got the points they have because we were there.

"They have 198 points in two years; that's special. We made such big steps. Always after a good year, we lost key players [in the past] but we won't so we'll be there again."

'We tried everything to win those games'

1796281054_download(2).thumb.png.52051e940d4ba78d224cc1857b7f4fc0.png

Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson said they could not have done any more to win the title.

"No regrets," the midfielder said. "We have been outstanding all season and left everything out on the pitch.

"We have lost one game. People might talk about the draws but we tried everything to win those games. We gave everything over the whole season. City are a fantastic side and you take your hat off to them.

"Next season we give everything to win it."

Liverpool defender Virgil van Dijk, the PFA player of the year, said: "It's a very special team and I am very proud to be part of it. We have a big final to come, we should be proud but congratulations to City and hopefully we can challenge them next year.

"We struggled a little bit today, we are human beings and it will be in your head, you cannot deny it. City have been outstanding but so are we.

"We are going to work hard again and hopefully try to do it."

Liverpool right-back Trent Alexander-Arnold set up Sadio Mane's second goal.

"I'm gutted, it is a tough one to take but City proved they are one of the best teams in the world," the 20-year-old said. "We only lost one game and you expect to win the league, but it is what it is and we go again next year."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48247523

Edited by CaaC - John

Mad really isn't it? Nobheads trying to claim Liverpool bottled it. Won the last nine games. Took at least four points from every team apart from Man City. 

Just hope we go on to win the European Cup now. This team deserves it. 

• Administrator

Quite like stuff like this :D.

I remember Drinkwater's kid doing it at the end of the season lap of honour thing few seasons ago for us and the kid scoring got a bigger cheer than some of the goals in the season xD 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Anyone see the City players mocking our Allez Allez Allez chant, mocking Salah for getting injured and Sean Cox for nearly getting murdered? It’s one thing if it’s fans, but the fucking players? Scum, the lot of them

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Anyone see the City players mocking our Allez Allez Allez chant, mocking Salah for getting injured and Sean Cox for nearly getting murdered? It’s one thing if it’s fans, but the fucking players? Scum, the lot of them

That's not on if true. Very low of them if so.

What's said in the video/chant?

Also, didn't other European clubs have the Allez Allez Allez chant before Liverpool? A minor point considering the other stuff, I know.

21 minutes ago, Stan said:

That's not on if true. Very low of them if so.

What's said in the video/chant?

Also, didn't other European clubs have the Allez Allez Allez chant before Liverpool? A minor point considering the other stuff, I know.

Yeah we took Allez Allez Allez from another song a club we played in Europe did and took the song to England for the first time. I don’t think the chant being copied is inherently wrong, it’s literally what football supporters do lol. And us taking a tune we hear from other fans in Europe and swapping the words around is one of the best things that come from us being in Europe.

The songs been sung by City fans for the whole season, so if it was fans I’d say it’s a non-story. But it’s got a line about Kompany injuring Salah, I think the line is “and Kompany injures Salah” - at the beginning of the season the line was Ramos injured Salah but they’ve changed it after Kompany attempted a leg breaker on Mo. Again if it was fans, who cares it’s a stupid song, but here it’s a team of pros glorifying another pro’s injury - that’s a bit weird. There’s also a line about us getting battered in the streets - and that’s a reference to the high profile incident of a Liverpool fan getting battered outside Anfield against the Roma game. If it’s fans singing about someone that’s just been put in a coma and only recently came out of it, that’s obviously not very nice - pretty tasteless really. But there’ve been worse chants. But a pack of millionaires singing about a fan that’s just come out of a coma seems much worse to me.

If it was fans I’d be saying it’s tinpot, you’ve won the league and you’re singing about us. But the players singing it just makes me think “what a pack of cunts”

Edited by Dr. Gonzo

• Administrator

Just playing devil's advocate here, is the 'battered in the streets' one anything to do with their bus getting smashed on the way in to Anfield last season?

I agree with all you say about the difference of fans and players doing it. Gotta be more respectful even if the title has just been won. Celebrate your own success, as opposed to towards another team's failure?

As you say if it's fans you can put it down to a select bunch of twats being twats. Players is a different story especially if it's about Sean Cox. Very insensitive if so...

In fairness, I think the 'battered in the streets' line is about some of our fans getting attacked in Kiev. The fact that they still sing it after one of their fans got hospitalised in Germany earlier in the season makes them look incredibly stupid.

Singing about Liverpool losing a final of a competition they knocked City out of is a bit bizarre too. But like Chelsea fans after 2005 their fans have become completely obsessed with Liverpool Football Club

Edited by LFCMike

4 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Not sure why you're surprised. You can't play for a club with those owners without a severely dysfunctional conscience.

• Subscriber

Just seen the chanting thing on Twitter. Apparently they've been singing it all season in relation to Liverpool losing the final in Kiev while they won two trophies. The battered in the streets bit seems in poor taste but nothing to do with Sean Cox like some people are apparently making out. It's weird that City even sing songs about Liverpool because they don't have a rivalry amongst the fanbases and even more weird for the players to imitate it, but then footballers are stupid. Who knows.

Both Manc clubs are utterly obsessed with Liverpool and scousers in general. It always bemuses me that Evertonians ever consider those clubs friends as most of their bile is directed at Liverpool people in general 'bin dippers' etc. While Everton have plenty of their own reasons for despising Liverpool, and there are many good reasons, the wretches from the streets of Manchester are not their friends either and if Everton were ever to become a direct threat they would be on the receiving end of the same shit.

Edited by The Artful Dodger
  • Upvote 3