talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Champions League Quarter-Finals - 16-17th April, 2024 (2nd Legs)

• Subscriber

Think the Arsenal game was always going to end the way it did. I had some hope that City would beat Real and progress but when you get to penalties you really are at the mercy of the lottery. 

I would like to see Borussia Dortmund against Bayern Munich in the final, a repeat of the 2013 Champions League final would be great! There are teams in the Bundesliga who have played some top tier level football this season. Teams like Bayern Munich, Dortmund, RB Leipzig and Stuttgart who have produced some real high level performances this season, while Bayer Leverkusen have been flawless and out of this world. 

It makes me laugh when teams like Bayern have some performances that don't meet their usual high standards and are written off by some people. A few months ago a pundit called them an average team and it caught on, with lots of people copying him and calling them average. Equally, Arsenal were called one of the greatest sides ever by some pundits two month or three months ago. Especially in late January and throughout February this year, when Arsenal were thrashing sides like Crystal Palace, West Ham, Burnley, Newcastle and Sheffield United one match after the other and when they also beat Liverpool 3-1 during that period. But we clearly saw in the Champions League how Bayern proved that they were the better side against Arsenal, as Bayern deservedly knocked them out.

It's always been obvious that Bayern are stacked with top class quality players, even if perhaps a few positions in the team aren't as strong as they used to be or if the team didn't click or have the team cohesion that it should have had at times this season. That should never detract from the fact that this Bayern team are a top class team and definitely not an average team. Bayer Leverkusen's flawlessness and absolute brilliance this season in the Bundesliga, shouldn't take away from how strong Bayern Munich are. It will be very hard to achieve because the opposition are so strong, but I'd definitely like to see both Bayern Munich and Dortmund in the final this season. 

4 hours ago, Mel81x said:

Think the Arsenal game was always going to end the way it did. I had some hope that City would beat Real and progress but when you get to penalties you really are at the mercy of the lottery. 

This is a misconception, in my honest opinion. You're at the mercy of your own nerves and realism rather than that of a lottery. Bernardo Silva was a victim of arrogant overestimation of themself yesterday, not that of bad luck. This lottery talk is an invention of these nations bad at penalties to play down their own shortcomings.

Edited by Rucksackfranzose
  • Upvote 1

Well all the English teams may have been knocked out of the Champions League by the quarter final stage this season, but we still have English players who could win the Champions League this year. Harry Kane, Eric Dier, Jaden Sancho, Jamie Bynoe-Gittens and Jude Bellingham all still have a chance of raising the Champions League trophy this year.

6 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

This is a misconception, in my honest opinion. You're at the mercy of your own nerves and realism rather than that of a lottery. Bernardo Silva was a victim of arrogant overestimation of themself yesterday, not that of bad luck. This lottery talk is an invention of these nations bad at penalties to play down their own shortcomings.

Well a German can afford to say something like that.)

1 hour ago, Michael said:

Well a German can afford to say something like that.)

Well, if we're look at it a penalty will ever be goal, even in case the keeper jumps to the side of the goal it's shot to, if it's only shot hard and well-placed enough.Also it's laughable, people earning millions a year with nothing more than training a few hours a day and playing 90 minutes of football once or twice a week, get excused with bad luck, if they fail to hit an area as big as a goal from the distance of 11 meters, either they are completely exhausted, absolutely nervous, or undescribably incompetent if they do so; in no fucking way they're unlucky, yet.

Edited by Rucksackfranzose

I look at the Coefficients working against England as a catalyst for a exciting run in.   Spurs and Villa are now in a dual for the final spot,  Spurs and Villa have a run in that could upset the top of the table as seen on the weekend past,  Spurs having Arsenal and City would not be easy games for any team and the constant slips and jinks will make that league exciting. 

31 minutes ago, Michael said:

I would like to see Borussia Dortmund against Bayern Munich in the final, a repeat of the 2013 Champions League final would be great! There are teams in the Bundesliga who have played some top tier level football this season. Teams like Bayern Munich, Dortmund, RB Leipzig and Stuttgart who have produced some real high level performances this season, while Bayer Leverkusen have been flawless and out of this world. 

It makes me laugh when teams like Bayern have some performances that don't meet their usual high standards and are written off by some people. A few months ago a pundit called them an average team and it caught on, with lots of people copying him and calling them average. Equally, Arsenal were called one of the greatest sides ever by some pundits two month or three months ago. Especially in late January and throughout February this year, when Arsenal were thrashing sides like Crystal Palace, West Ham, Burnley, Newcastle and Sheffield United one match after the other and when they also beat Liverpool 3-1 during that period. But we clearly saw in the Champions League how Bayern proved that they were the better side against Arsenal, as Bayern deservedly knocked them out.

It's always been obvious that Bayern are stacked with top class quality players, even if perhaps a few positions in the team aren't as strong as they used to be or if the team didn't click or have the team cohesion that it should have had at times this season. That should never detract from the fact that this Bayern team are a top class team and definitely not an average team. Bayer Leverkusen's flawlessness and absolute brilliance this season in the Bundesliga, shouldn't take away from how strong Bayern Munich are. It will be very hard to achieve because the opposition are so strong, but I'd definitely like to see both Bayern Munich and Dortmund in the final this season. 

Could you imagine Leverkusen beating Bayern to the league and Dortmund beating them to the Champions League in the same season? Would be crazy

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Well, if we're look at it a penalty will ever be goal, even in case the keeper junmps to the side of the goal it's shot to, if it's only shot hard and well-placed enough.Also it's laughable, people earning millions ayear witzh nothing more than training a few hours a day and playing 90 minutes of football once or twice a week, get excused with bad luck, if they fail to hit an area as big as a goal from the distance of 11 meters, either they are completely exhausted, absolutely nervous, or undescribably incompetent if they do so; in no fucking way they're unlucky, yet.

I almost completely agree with you, but they could be unlucky if they slipped on a wet patch of grass while taking a penalty or something. But yeah, in most other circumstances, it's not really luck that comes into it.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Danny said:

Could you imagine Leverkusen beating Bayern to the league and Dortmund beating them to the Champions League in the same season? Would be crazy

Yeah, that certainly wouldn't go down well in Munich.)

Amazing that people harping on about corruption in the game are wanting a club to go through that's been allowed to do whatever they want for years.

It'll be another sad story if Florentino Perez and Madrid win another one.

Edited by Lucas

16 hours ago, Rick said:

Dopey presented really just said “two absolute giants of world football” get fucked you idiot. 

Considering City is the best team in the world and has been for some years making the most money in the game with half a million on the season ticket waiting list he is correct ;)

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

You're not wrong but you could have a serial penalty taker completely get it wrong on the night no matter how many penalties you've taken over the course of practice. The ball, the pitch, the keeper, your nerves, their nerves, the crowd, it all really has to come together to make it happen, hence the use of the word lottery. I think we've all seen situations where the sidelines are calling for the keeper or pre-instructing them about where the penalty taker likes to take their shot so in that case it's really a gamble on the keeper's part on which side to go and also on the penalty taker for their choice of side and then all the other components mentioned before. 

• Subscriber

Glad to see the English clubs having a bad week in Europe to be honest. Just one of the last six Champions League finals hasn't had an English side in it and two of them have been all-English. Apart from Real Madrid, be good to see a different winner and finalist.

1 hour ago, Mel81x said:

You're not wrong but you could have a serial penalty taker completely get it wrong on the night no matter how many penalties you've taken over the course of practice. The ball, the pitch, the keeper, your nerves, their nerves, the crowd, it all really has to come together to make it happen, hence the use of the word lottery. I think we've all seen situations where the sidelines are calling for the keeper or pre-instructing them about where the penalty taker likes to take their shot so in that case it's really a gamble on the keeper's part on which side to go and also on the penalty taker for their choice of side and then all the other components mentioned before. 

When Ronaldo was Utd before going to Real. The 2 biggest penalties of his Utd career were in the season we won the CL. One in the semi first leg vs Barca and one in the shootout vs Chelsea. He missed both even so he was a top penalty taker.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Lucas said:

Amazing that people harping on about corruption in the game are wanting a club to go through that's been allowed to do whatever they want for years.

It'll be another sad story if Florentino Perez and Madrid win another one.

I think Real Madrid are a particularly odious club, but comparing them to 115 Charges FC in terms of the scale of corruption is a bit much.

3 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Glad to see the English clubs having a bad week in Europe to be honest. Just one of the last six Champions League finals hasn't had an English side in it and two of them have been all-English. Apart from Real Madrid, be good to see a different winner and finalist.

The likelihood is a PSG/Madrid final and I'm not that sure it's all that great for football.

The Mbappe narrative is already putting me off.

• Administrator
7 hours ago, Reluctant Striker said:

I do wonder if the 'we had to play midweek in Europe' excuse will start flipping from Premier League managers? To we had to play in the Premier League on Saturday..

It already has, pretty much. Hence why now you'll never see a team in the CL who played on a Wednesday then play at 12.30pm on a Saturday. 

• The topic was unpinned