talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Matchday Chat - Aug to Dec 2017/18 season archive

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

I don't know what its going to take for anyone up top to just try and put the ball in the back of the net instead of trying the spectacular. At one point it looked like Klopp was going to bust a nerve with his shouting and fair play to him because the team was slow and played right into Newcastle's containment plan. If you're Rafa you've totally gotten what you wanted out of this game. 

Safe to say I was wrong about Sturridge. He's done.

There isn't much else to say about us anymore. Our attacking players are individually very good but we can't create chances, and our defenders and goalkeepers are almost all terrible. I don't think there's a team in the land that wouldn't fancy themselves to get something out of us.

• Subscriber
57 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

Safe to say I was wrong about Sturridge. He's done.

There isn't much else to say about us anymore. Our attacking players are individually very good but we can't create chances, and our defenders and goalkeepers are almost all terrible. I don't think there's a team in the land that wouldn't fancy themselves to get something out of us.

downloadfile.thumb.jpg.61a483df17e8c86d55c5adf03b2c40d5.jpg

1 hour ago, Cannabis said:

Nah, I go the game. 

You just know its not going to be your season when you are playing in Europe at home to a club from Cyprus and they get a man sent off with less than 2 minutes to go and they get a draw before the final whistle goes.. 

Whenever you play a top team you need them to miss a couple of sitters if you are to get anything out of it. 

We didn't have the quality to be able to win it. So great point. Some of our players weren't great going forward. Particularly Perez. Some tired way too early as well. Shelvey, who was at his passing best in the first half, was blown out of his arse after an hour. It's odd that a professional athlete should be so unfit. He obviously doesn't like doing cardio. Clark's first off game in as long as I can remember as well. 

Only 6 goals conceded in the first 7 games though.

That was really poor from us today, especially second half. Thought Matip was really poor for the goal. Half hearted attempt to tackle. If he goes in full blooded he probably puts it out for a throw. Mignolet wasn't much better for it either.

It would be interesting to see how many wins Liverpool would have if they had invested in a top class striker. For all their attacking wealth, they don't have a Lukaku, Aguero, Morata, Kane that can make that clinical difference on days like today.

And it's double hard for Liverpool when they are near certain to guarantee the opposition at least one goal, meaning they have to get at least two to win. They are so near and yet so far away from winning this league.

• Subscriber

I'm surprised by Liverpool's lack of goals especially having reintroduced Coutinho to the side. However, every team is going to have days where they don't manage to score 3+ goals regardless of who's up front. Even if Liverpool signed Aubameyang or someone, you would still get games where you only score one and need the defence to deliver as well. The goal Liverpool conceded was (again) very preventable and if the defence was up to scratch they'd have ground out the 1-0.

Liverpool's attack is enough to win them 80% of matches against the non-top 6 sides even if they don't defend well. For me the Burnley and Newcastle matches are in the other 20% where they can win with quality in the back four.

• Subscriber

I can't see how anyone thought Liverpool would be any better than last year. They have added more of what they have already in Salah, a clearly good player but not the most efficient. The defence is still a shambles and I really do wonder if Klopp thinks it isn't actually that big an issue.

Fair play to Newcastle, they'll be comfortable midtable I think. They'll come above us that's for sure.

8 hours ago, Cannabis said:

There is still time to turn things around, we've only just entered October. 

It's incredibly hard to support Everton but there's no other club I'd rather follow, it's just a really hard time at the moment to go the game.

I feel for you mate but I can see it improving. 

It takes time to replace key players and I think this current Everton situation shows now it was no fluke that Spurs and Liverpool struggled after selling Bale and Suarez.... Both players that were hugely integral to the attacks and goals scored for both teams in a similar way to Lusaka.... It shows why we held out for obscene money for Coutinho because there is no amount of money that really justifies the intangible, unquantifiable cohesion that that player has with your team, or how hard it can be to recapture that with new players.

Southhampton seem to have been the one exception in recent years that have still finished in a similarly high position despite shedding half their squad every summer, but for everybody else its not easy. 

12 hours ago, Dan said:

I can't see how anyone thought Liverpool would be any better than last year. They have added more of what they have already in Salah, a clearly good player but not the most efficient. The defence is still a shambles and I really do wonder if Klopp thinks it isn't actually that big an issue.

Fair play to Newcastle, they'll be comfortable midtable I think. They'll come above us that's for sure.

I agree. Its amazing we were thought to be among the better business doers in the transfer window. Salah and Ox were useful signings but neither played in a position you'd have said recruitment in was critical before the summer. Only at LB did we address some of the deficiency and  that has been undone by picking an option that at least right now is not superior to Moreno in Klopp's mind.

Having no alternative to VVD was a huge mistake, or as a minimum letting Sakho go without bringing in a replacement was.  

It's not all doom and gloom though. Salah has potential to be great for us I think.... Similar to when Suarez first arrived he didn't bring the goals straight way, but you knew they would come eventually because he was getting clear chances so regularly.... Similarly with Salah if it clicks and he becomes more clinical in his finishing he has the potential to be our top scorer imo..

14 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

I'm surprised by Liverpool's lack of goals especially having reintroduced Coutinho to the side. However, every team is going to have days where they don't manage to score 3+ goals regardless of who's up front. Even if Liverpool signed Aubameyang or someone, you would still get games where you only score one and need the defence to deliver as well. The goal Liverpool conceded was (again) very preventable and if the defence was up to scratch they'd have ground out the 1-0.

Liverpool's attack is enough to win them 80% of matches against the non-top 6 sides even if they don't defend well. For me the Burnley and Newcastle matches are in the other 20% where they can win with quality in the back four.

Credit to Newcastle and Rafa though. We've done very well against them in recent years but they haven't had a defensive organiser like Benitez before. He was bound to make them much harder to beat, even if he didn't have the money to turn them into a force to be reckoned with.

Archived