talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

2017/18 FA Cup Third Round Match Chat - 5-8th January 2018

football forum

• Administrator

Why do some automatically assume that Holgate can't understand Portuguese? How do we know he doesn't or hadn't studied other languages?

Modern perception is that footballers are dumb but it's not outside the realms of reality for some to keep learning outside of the game, whether it's learning something sports related, learning languages, or doing what Kompany did recently and get a Masters. 

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Given that both managers have basically refused to comment on it but there's an FA investigation and a Liverpool media person (you can fill in the actual title if you're arsed) stating that the club will cooperate fully to establish the facts I'd say it already smells like there's more to it than Everton fans having a hissy fit. 

Aside from (or including depending on how partisan we want to be) that shithouse push on Firmino, Holgate showed again tonight he's the best centre half at the club.

They have to investigate if Holgate has made a complaint. Obviously we don't see everything that Firmino says but I'd be very surprised if anything comes of this. The ref and other players are all in the vicinity. I think it's going to be a case of Holgate mishearing in the heat of the moment. He wasn't exactly very calm before Firmino ran over to him.

I wonder if the refs mic is recorded? That would have surely picked anything up that was said.

Van Dijk v Everton: 
5 Aerial Duels won (more than anyone) 
79 Touches (Second most on the pitch) 
2 Shots on target (More than anyone) 1 Goal. 
2 Interceptions (Most for Liverpool) 
62 Passes (More than anyone on the field) 
4 Long Passes (More than anyone for Liverpool).

Not a bad debut!

12 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

My word, Liverpool fans are a weird, bitter bunch. 

Get the ‘Free Suarez’ tops out and a big fat sharpie, lads.

If he has said something racist then he deserves punishing accordingly, of course. On the evidence we have at the moment though, like I said in my previous post, I doubt anything more will come of this. 

Sad thing is there will be people out there hoping he has said it

2 hours ago, Stan said:

Why do some automatically assume that Holgate can't understand Portuguese? How do we know he doesn't or hadn't studied other languages?

Modern perception is that footballers are dumb but it's not outside the realms of reality for some to keep learning outside of the game, whether it's learning something sports related, learning languages, or doing what Kompany did recently and get a Masters. 

Because he's just an ordinary English lad, not because he is dumb. He will know what puta is but the chances of him being in the tiny percentage of the population that could understand a full Portuguese sentence instantly are slim.

4 hours ago, Stan said:

Come on Stan. Nobody is calling the lad a thick cunt. It's just very unlikely that he's fluent in Portuguese 😂

• Administrator

I said earlier in the thread that if you watch Narcos you know instantly what it means and that he's tried to insult you. Don't have to be fluent in Portuguese but you'll know some words. 

14 minutes ago, Stan said:

I said earlier in the thread that if you watch Narcos you know instantly what it means and that he's tried to insult you. Don't have to be fluent in Portuguese but you'll know some words. 

Why do you automatically assume Holgate watches Narcos? :ph34r:

Also, isn't that show set in Colombia, not Brazil?

• Administrator
19 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

Why do you automatically assume Holgate watches Narcos? :ph34r:

Also, isn't that show set in Colombia, not Brazil?

They speak Spanish in that but don't think there's too many difference between the 2?

Also I said 'if' ;)

• Subscriber
44 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

And they tell me I can't just assume Holgate is your typical thick skull, pig brained blueshite...

https://streamable.com/t9l9h

In the box he was pretty clear about.

Absolute top class from you lot again, trying to justify the whinging about our penalty in the last derby with this while completely failing to acknowledge what a dive that is from Lallana, and ignoring the fact that almost all neutrals and pundits said that Lovren on Calvert-Lewin was a soft penalty but a penalty, then almost all neutrals and pundits stating that that last night was never a penalty. In fact, even your own manager admitted this one wasn't a penalty.

But crack on, I don't know why I'm arsed.

Stoke are trailing 1-0 at Coventry.

Burnley leading 1-0 at a relatively strong City side.

Wigan leading 2-0 at Bournemouth.

Newcastle thumping Luton 3-0.

Just now, RandoEFC said:

Absolute top class from you lot again, trying to justify the whinging about our penalty in the last derby with this while completely failing to acknowledge what a dive that is from Lallana, and ignoring the fact that almost all neutrals and pundits said that Lovren on Calvert-Lewin was a soft penalty but a penalty, then almost all neutrals and pundits stating that that last night was never a penalty. In fact, even your own manager admitted this one wasn't a penalty.

The pundits are hypocritical just like you lot are. Look at the replay it's on the edge of the box, where referees have awarded penalties for pretty much the same thing. Both players went down like cheap whores the second they were touched to win a penalty. Both could have stayed up - both took advantage of naive defending (and naive refereeing). It's pure hypocricy.

You know what else is hypocritical? I haven't heard a word of how Holgate shouldn't have pushed Firmino into the stands. Remember when Debuchy was pushed out into the stand, got a serious injury, and has never really looked the same player ever again? Considering how you were annoyed we didn't get a yellow until late in the match (and I was annoyed at the lack of yellows in numerous instances yesterday) - I can't imagine you'd be as silent about that incident if it were one of your players pushed out.

Doubt that'd be swept under the rug by your fans at all. Nor would that possible foul in the buildup to your goal (which until now wasn't even complained about by Liverpool fans on here - only 2 mentions of it iirc from a non-LFC supporter). Instead it's all bitching about the penalty and trying to make Holgate look like a victim. Hypocritical to the extreme.

12 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

With my football fan (as opposed to Liverpool fan) hat on, I wouldn't have given it, but how anyone can claim Calvert-Lewin's (or Hazard's vs Arsenal) was a penalty but ours wasn't is completely beyond me. They're all cases in which the defender has given the attacker 'the right' to go down, a concept I hate, but a concept which seems to have become the accepted precedent in football these days.

I'm not arsed by people saying it's not a pen, but the hypocrisy is astounding.

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The pundits are hypocritical just like you lot are. Look at the replay it's on the edge of the box, where referees have awarded penalties for pretty much the same thing. Both players went down like cheap whores the second they were touched to win a penalty. Both could have stayed up - both took advantage of naive defending (and naive refereeing). It's pure hypocricy.

You know what else is hypocritical? I haven't heard a word of how Holgate shouldn't have pushed Firmino into the stands. Remember when Debuchy was pushed out into the stand, got a serious injury, and has never really looked the same player ever again? Considering how you were annoyed we didn't get a yellow until late in the match (and I was annoyed at the lack of yellows in numerous instances yesterday) - I can't imagine you'd be as silent about that incident if it were one of your players pushed out.

Doubt that'd be swept under the rug by your fans at all. Nor would that possible foul in the buildup to your goal (which until now wasn't even complained about by Liverpool fans on here - only 2 mentions of it iirc from a non-LFC supporter). Instead it's all bitching about the penalty and trying to make Holgate look like a victim. Hypocritical to the extreme.

19 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Holgate should have been booked regardless of what Firmino did or didn't say to him after, completely petulant shove for no reason.

"Hypocritical to the extreme" indeed...

Just now, RandoEFC said:

"Hypocritical to the extreme" indeed...

Yeah and go look what I said about your penalty against us on Fat Sam's first match.

Can't deny that I was wrong about you rightly saying he should have been booked (he should have been off though), but I stand by pretty much everything I said because you're not the only Evertonian out there.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah and go look what I said about your penalty against us on Fat Sam's first match.

Can't deny that I was wrong about you rightly saying he should have been booked (he should have been off though), but I stand by pretty much everything I said because you're not the only Evertonian out there.

Yeah but all football fans are hypocritical, no sets of fans are better than the other.

I'll return to my original stance and say that the bigger problem is the fact that in modern football any contact inside the box is an automatic penalty now.

Just now, RandoEFC said:

Yeah but all football fans are hypocritical, no sets of fans are better than the other.

I'll return to my original stance and say that the bigger problem is the fact that in modern football any contact inside the box is an automatic penalty now.

I agree with all of that. I think a lot of fouls that would NEVER be called (in England, but probably would in Spain or Italy tbh) unless they are in/around the box are consistently called because of that. I don't know why referees wouldn't err on the side of not giving a penalty as a mistake than give a penalty.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived