Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
Harvsky

Would You Have Predicted This 5 Years Ago?

If you try to think back 5 years ago, how predictable do you think the current position and state your club is in right now was? How much better or worse than you could have imagined is it? What is your prediction for where you will be in 5 years time?

5 years ago we had better know players, but were on track for a very mediocre season. I was hoping we would have recovered and been back to CL regulars by now (not going to happen) but this is probably the most predictable outcome.

We're 8th by the way, 19pts in 16 games and a new manager has worked wonders, as this season looked like the one we would drop.

Starting about the same but with one or two really good years...? Predictable. 

Looking forward to the Leicester city fans' opinions. 

Well 5 years ago i did expect us to fight for the title at some point, after last season i thought we would need a few seasons to get back in the top four and i was surprised to see us comfortable at the top for the moment. In the next five years i think we should be around the top four and in a few title races i doubt a lot will change from the current state.

5 years ago we still had Moyes (for a few more months) when things were going a little stale for him and us. League position wise we were 6th in a division that was a lot worse and had to replace him with a relegated manager.  

Now we have a manager taken from a team that finished above us the last 2 seasons with no problem at all, just flashed a bit of money at him. Moshiri has bought into the club and invested both on and off the field. We're closer to leaving Goodison than ever before. 

Good thread. 

It's 5th April 2012 then and at this point we were a day away from losing 3-1 to Notts County in front of 4,016. That 11/12 campaign was a tough one, we ended up using seven goalkeepers and eleven left backs if memory serves me correct and we scraped to a 20th place finish in League One, with four teams somehow being much worse than us that year.

At that point if you'd have said we'd get to within 90 minutes of Wembley in the JPT, miss out on the play-off's by three points, break multiple records on the way to the play-off final in which we'd lead 2-0 before losing, Russell Slade would end up as one of the best managers in the club's history, have the club sold to a supposed Italian billionaire who'd promise the world, get relegated from League One, miss out on the play-off's in League Two, have eleven managers in three years, see the Orient under-16's coach lead the side during a match, have winding up orders presented to the club, see players and staff go unpaid and the club fall out of the Football League in the next five years, I'd have thought you were mad.

nowhere near fucking predicted the last 5 years. xD 

2 relegation battles. The greatest escape for survival the Premier League has ever seen. Achieving the impossible by winning the fucking thing. 

Sacking a manager after some controversial on/off field moments (ostrich-gate, strangling a Palace player), his son being involved in a sex orgy in Thailand while on tour with the club.

Hiring a manager at 66/1 who wins the Premier League. Sacking the manager who won the Premier League (alongside other factors). 

5 years ago we were a mid-table Championship side. 7 points off play-offs. Totally contrasting to the ambitions and expectations of the club now compared to then. 

We've also experienced one of the most dramatic play-off finales (Knockaert's penalty miss, Watford scoring down the other end to go through to the final). Well documented to be honest. 

Don't even dare to predict the next 2 years, let alone the next 5 years.

Who knows how our club will evolve after the last few seasons. The foundations are there to establish ourselves properly as a Premier League team. Not fighting relegation year upon year and doing enough in the last 3-4 months of the season. Maybe challenging and competing in Europe as a regularity, not just a one-off after one of the most sensational moments of the Premier League. 

We didn't exist 5 years ago so no way. I think my experience as having a 'local' team is about as good as it gets.

Forgot to say that it was 3 years ago today we gained promotion back to the top-flight. We played Sheffield Wednesday on Friday 4th April and won 2-1. Results on the Saturday meant we were promoted without actually playing on that day.

10 hours ago, HoneyNUFC said:

If you try to think back 5 years ago, how predictable do you think the current position and state your club is in right now was? How much better or worse than you could have imagined is it? What is your prediction for where you will be in 5 years time?

I didn't even dream of having players like Martin Kelly, Wayne Hennessey, Frazier Campbell and Adrian Mariappa five years ago. Let alone Chamakh of Arsenal, Adebayor of Spurs, Sakho of PSG, Hangeland of Fulham, Ledley of Celtic, Cabaye of Newcastle etc. Even the managers we've had seemed really unrealistic. That with the trips to Wembley. It's been incredible really.

Has anyone had a worse 5 years in England than Portsmouth?

5 minutes ago, ATL said:

Has anyone had a worse 5 years in England than Portsmouth?

@Smiley Culture might have something to say about that.

Portsmouth have had a good season so far, could be back in League One next season. 

Knew it would happen. Only thing that surprises me is it wasn't sooner.

I think 5 years ago was when I adopted Stoke as my own. I wouldn't say much has changed, we brought in players like Bojan, Shaqiri, and Bony but to be honest we've went from around 11th-13th  before to just around... what 11th now? Finished 9th couple times. Not much has changed in all honesty. New players come in and go, tried playing pretty footy and ended up going back to physical football instead. Still sitting comfortably smackdab in the middle, never worried about relegation but never excited by a top 6 finish. FA cup run was 6 seasons ago so nope nothing in the last 5 has been a surprise.