talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak

football forum

• Subscriber

Second lockdown confirmed in England. Very depressing. Tory ministers and back benchers very cross, some because they're "libertarians" who oppose any lockdown, some because their constituencies don't really need to be locked down, and some who agree with the lockdown but are appalled at the communications from the government.

I can see Johnson no longer being Prime Minister one way or another this time next year.

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

Second lockdown confirmed in England. Very depressing. Tory ministers and back benchers very cross, some because they're "libertarians" who oppose any lockdown, some because their constituencies don't really need to be locked down, and some who agree with the lockdown but are appalled at the communications from the government.

I can see Johnson no longer being Prime Minister one way or another this time next year.

He'll see Brexit out then fuck off

They would have done it earlier if not for Labour asking for it first. They were willing to sacrifice lives to try and score a political win. The moment Labour advocated it, it went from being the most obvious solution to an urgent situation, to being a last resort, because it meant admitting Labour were right. 

And they would rather let a sizeable number of people die before they would ever admit that. 

It is entirely lost on people just how callous and actually, outright murderous the modern Tory party is.

It's not just laziness or ignorance. 

Edited by Inverted
  • Upvote 1

• Administrator

Information overload when it came to the slides earlier as well. 

If anything it implicated the government anyway because it showed the rise in cases from earlier this month when a lockdown could have been brought in and when it was suggested by Starmer/scientists, which logically ties in with what @Inverted said. 

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Inverted said:

They would have done it earlier if not for Labour asking for it first. They were willing to sacrifice lives to try and score a political win. The moment Labour advocated it, it went from being the most obvious solution to an urgent situation, to being a last resort, because it meant admitting Labour were right. 

And they would rather let a sizeable number of people die before they would ever admit that. 

It is entirely lost on people just how callous and actually, outright murderous the modern Tory party is.

They did the same thing with face masks on public transport after Sadiq Khan came out and called for them to make it compulsory. It went from being a probable policy to "the science shows that masks make negligible difference" before the u-turn 2 months later.

That's the problem with this lot though. They can't admit they made a bad call. If anyone asks them why they made a different decision 2-3 weeks ago they were apparently "following the science" even though Chris Whitty literally said at the press conference when they announced the tiered system that Tier 3 restrictions wouldn't be enough and SAGE recommended they do this back then.

It always comes back to Brexit. They're a cabinet that governs on sheer front because if they allow you to pull at one thread, then the rest of it all comes tumbling down too.

• Subscriber

2 hours ago, Stan said:

Information overload when it came to the slides earlier as well. 

If anything it implicated the government anyway because it showed the rise in cases from earlier this month when a lockdown could have been brought in and when it was suggested by Starmer/scientists, which logically ties in with what @Inverted said. 

Absolutely no need for that information overload either. Everyone knew he was going to be announcing another lockdown so he could have got the announcement out the way, done the slides, and then proceeded to take the public and press questions as he did. 

10 hours ago, Inverted said:

I personally doubt they'd have done it earlier. I see no reason to suggest this government would be the first to go back into lockdown. Nothing I've seen tells me they are leaders in this field. So much of the decision making correlates with the major moves on the continent and internationally, be it in locking down, opening up, face masks, etc. It's so common I find it hard to think of it as just a coincidence. 

On 27/10/2020 at 21:13, Panflute said:

It's pretty fucked now. We have had rising infection rates, but people have pretty much gone into panic mode, where like 3 days after new measures, everyone starts calling for more measures even though it's impossible to notice the effect of the original measures within that timespan.

If we were to go into full lockdown, it would be the first time this happens in the country, as the previous 'lockdown' and the current one have both been partial lockdowns, where much of the measures were based on advice rather than strict legislation. Still, I don't think it will ever be in countries like France and Italy where you basically have martial law.

However, as it looks now, it seems as if the full lockdown is not being considered by our government, which, to its credit, doesn't often cave to the pressure of taking extra measures just because people are panicking. The issue with a full lockdown now is that it would just postpone the problem a few months at best, and wreck tons of businesses in the process. The past months have shown that our testing has not proven adequate enough to be able to handle subsequent infections locally, so this would mean having to lock the country down periodically until there is a vaccine, which is obviously bonkers.

I dunno about this shit anymore. When I see people out there walking by themselves in parks while wearing mouth masks, I get the idea that a lot of this is just about giving ourselves the illusion that we're able to control the virus.

Recommend you read this with regard to the bit in bold.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10158069600551608&id=696981607&sfnsn=mo

I found this quite illustrative, albeit an approximation of what would happen based on the models they use, with various types of protection measures toggled on and off. 

I have so much respect for the government's who developed a clear strategy, were honest about what they were doing and why, and stuck to that strategy....

I think we've done that. Many Asian countries.

Even Sweden, for all the criticism they copped, were at least honest about the fact they were willing to accept a halfway option based on sustainable restrictions and stuck with it despite being written up as pariahs... Most governments seen to have tried the accidental/dysfunctional Sweden... Avoid having the honest conversations and pretend everything is going to be rosy, and then reactively implement a lockdown really late in the piece presumably when they're at the limits of the health system capacity....

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Well on the plus side, at least we don't have to put up with all those insufferable cunts who go berserk in the shops on Black Friday deals like they have never seen a TV or Laptop in their life.

In the UK, these fuckers have knocked elderly to the floor. In their quest for something which is ten quid cheaper.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Harry said:

I have so much respect for the government's who developed a clear strategy, were honest about what they were doing and why, and stuck to that strategy....

I think we've done that. Many Asian countries.

Even Sweden, for all the criticism they copped, were at least honest about the fact they were willing to accept a halfway option based on sustainable restrictions and stuck with it despite being written up as pariahs... Most governments seen to have tried the accidental/dysfunctional Sweden... Avoid having the honest conversations and pretend everything is going to be rosy, and then reactively implement a lockdown really late in the piece presumably when they're at the limits of the health system capacity....

This is very true. These are incredibly tough decisions to make but have to made, our government prevaricated on everything and tired to go down a middle path of both worlds, leaving us in a terrible situation where we have a high death toll and countless lives set to be ruined by the financial catastrophe that is round the corner. Tell you what, prior to this all I was getting restless in my current job but I’m extremely grateful to have it now, fairly secure and shouldn’t be at risk from all this, at least not immediately. 

It’s very bleak. I still don’t think our government really have a plan.

Edited by The Artful Dodger

One thing that doesn't make sense to me, I know of someone who sat next to someone at school who later was tested positive for covid. Instead of being tested and isolating she was simply just made to go isolate.

How can track and trace work when it only goes as far as isolating one layer and even then it was the school that decided that.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Steve Bruce Almighty said:

One thing that doesn't make sense to me, I know of someone who sat next to someone at school who later was tested positive for covid. Instead of being tested and isolating she was simply just made to go isolate.

How can track and trace work when it only goes as far as isolating one layer and even then it was the school that decided that.

Yep, been something to speculate about since all the rules came in months ago anyway.

My sister-in-law's dad had a colleague at his office who tested positive. Colleague had been at work, had symptoms then stopped going to work, took a test, found out the results on Saturday and tested positive. Sister-in-law's dad only has to isolate but not advised to take a test (although we have said he should try and get one anyway).

I don't get it either.

1 hour ago, Steve Bruce Almighty said:

Melbourne supposedly had an enormous contact tracing team, with around 5000 staff. However that team was totally overwhelmed by our peak of 700 cases per day, and was operating way below what they wanted to in terms of the time per contract tracer per case.... 

It wouldn't surprise me if your system was similarly overwhelmed and just struggling to be coherent or consistent at this point

16 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

Fingers crossed they all die without infecting anyone else :twothumbsup:

12 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Too close to the border with us for my liking. I suggest nuking Bristol from orbit and preferably taking Newport with them. 

sigourney weaver its the only way to be sure GIF

• Like 1