talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak

football forum

First Corona virus death here in the country. A 76 year old man.

The current series against South Africa will be played behind closed doors. IPL might be postponed.

I don't know if this was posted here. But this a wonderful interview of an expert. Osterholm puts out some great (and scary) facts in a calm manner.

Edited by IgnisExcubitor
  • Upvote 1

Italy really dropped the ball. 2600 more cases today.

We should really aspire to be South Korea. Only 66 deaths in about 8K cases and only 54 in critical condition.

Also wonder when this will reach Africa. Not sure if they've suspended flights yet but with all the cases France has it is a bit surprising. There's also that their governments aren't confirming anything.

3 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

Italy really dropped the ball. 2600 more cases today.

I have heard that this may not be the case. Italy has just tested more people and and thus had more confirmed cases. I believe they were the first to control crowds, delay the league, and take extra measures. 

It seems like they have done a good job considering the fact, and just because they are reporting more cases, doesn't mean countries like Germany and France don't have as many effected people (but just not diagnosed).

14 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Welsh health minister Vaughan Gething has announced that schools will stay open and the Six Nations match between Wales and Scotland in Cardiff will still go ahead. 

Tbh, I think it's pretty mental we had our CL match with a packed Anfield considering the news. It's even more mental to keep things going ahead as though things are fine when we need the government to be stepping in to make sure that people aren't going to be spread the virus unknowingly. So I think Vaughan Gething's being really reckless and/or incompetent with this.

Well, our country is slowly going into lockdown. People are being urged to work from home, and events are being cancelled all over the country. Luckily I have a shitload of food, medicine and booze, so I can lock myself inside for quite a while and also work from home.

13 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Tbh, I think it's pretty mental we had our CL match with a packed Anfield considering the news. It's even more mental to keep things going ahead as though things are fine when we need the government to be stepping in to make sure that people aren't going to be spread the virus unknowingly. So I think Vaughan Gething's being really reckless and/or incompetent with this.

Without trying to turn this into a political argument, the Welsh (Labour) Government have a habit of this sort of thing just to be 'unique', 'the first' or simply be 'different' to the UK Government, even when it makes no sense whatsoever. 

I've been tempted to make a thread around the Welsh Government but that's for another time. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Without trying to turn this into a political argument, the Welsh (Labour) Government have a habit of this sort of thing just to be 'unique', 'the first' or simply be 'different' to the UK Government, even when it makes no sense whatsoever. 

I've been tempted to make a thread around the Welsh Government but that's for another time. 

Yeah I know fuck all about Welsh or Scottish politics tbh. That thread could be a good idea from an educational standpoint from my perspective.

2 hours ago, Eco said:

I have heard that this may not be the case. Italy has just tested more people and and thus had more confirmed cases. I believe they were the first to control crowds, delay the league, and take extra measures. 

It seems like they have done a good job considering the fact, and just because they are reporting more cases, doesn't mean countries like Germany and France don't have as many effected people (but just not diagnosed).

That's very probable considering Italy has 61 m inhabitants while Germany has 83m.

I am considering in staying in Peru a bit longer. Going to the airport doesn't seem too safe this time of the year and I want to help avoid the possible spread. Not only that but the whole thing will be a bureaucratic nightmare. 

35 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Wait, Wales isn't part of the UK? 

:ph34r:

4 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

I am considering in staying in Peru a bit longer. Going to the airport doesn't seem too safe this time of the year and I want to help avoid the possible spread. Not only that but the whole thing will be a bureaucratic nightmare. 

Do you have an N95 respirator mask? Or are you able to get one? If you had one of those + wash your hands as much as you can anytime you touch anything at the airport or on the plane, you'd be relatively safe (obviously not as safe as not going to the airport).

I was talking to a doctor today who worked in R&D for a medical analyser company and he told me the following.

kids and pets pass on diseases rapidly as poor hygiene if we close schools who will provide child care while parents work? Most likely grandparents  and that’s the most vulnerable for influenza. So we could be pouring fuel on the fire. 

far better is if we allow the healthy population to get it recover and build up immunity within the population so if we do spike we have a % of the population to ensure essential services continue. 

old people and people with pre existing health complaints need to be wary the rest of us shouldn’t care. He also said that large events don’t make much difference as it’s fluid swapping 

italy and other med countries don’t have colder climes so less immunity to influenza style illnesses plus high % smokers do they will be disproportionately higher death rates. 

tbh it made sense to me and I agree, we’ve agree to not visit grandparents if things get bad and we’ll do shopping for them if they get ill etc 

also said he had a friend in Italy and everybody had a chest infection 

Edited by Fairy In Boots

55 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah I know fuck all about Welsh or Scottish politics tbh. That thread could be a good idea from an educational standpoint from my perspective.

Tbh, my knowledge of politics is very minimal in general, but it's the sheer hypocrisy that does my head in with them. Happy to criticise others yet do similar themselves. 

27 minutes ago, Eco said:

Wait, Wales isn't part of the UK? 

:ph34r:

I've sent @DeadLinesman to America with a few petrol cans and a lighter. Have a nice day. 

• Haha 2

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

old people and people with pre existing health complaints need to be wary the rest of us shouldn’t care

I'd be severely against saying 'we shouldn't care'. 

We all need to be responsible and ensure we don't pass it on even if we may not feel the symptoms straight away.