talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Manchester United Discussion

football forum

17 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Nah I don't really have any sympathy... and not just because I hated Man Utd lol. Pre-season friendlies are just basically glorified training sessions that imo should go back to be played behind closed doors like they were back in the day, but they won't because they're now used as an opportunity to milk overseas fans for as much money as they can. I don't think it's particularly useful for the players to have fans there or for fans to make too many inferences about what's going on with their team from the results of those friendlies.

I think fans should know this and should know that when they're buying their ticket they're basically just accepting they're getting milked for all they can be milked for.

United are basically pioneers in milking a global fanbase for all their worth, so I'm not in the least bit surprised. And tbh, fans should probably have been aware considering there was a friendly with Real Madrid in Texas around the same time... and obviously for first team players, playing against Real Madrid is a better training exercise than playing against fucking Wrexham. These fans basically just paid a premium because of the United name and the fact that Wrexham are owned by a Hollywood star that got his team famous in the states because of that TV show they've got.

🤣

Your hate for United holds no bounds.

You hate United too much mate, 

5 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Were there really United fans expecting to see the first team? 

Ouch. 

You wouldn't think so given they were playing Real Madrid the next day.  It depends on the marketing in San Diego.  They might have suggested that United would split their squad for the two games.   I haven't heard about anybody who attended the game complaining. 

Just now, Devil said:

You hate United too much mate, 

Not sure it's possible to hate United too much xD

I think in this instance though, I hate modern football more than I hate United. I think these pre-season tours to milk global fans are disgusting tbh. Training matches didn't need to be turned into money spinning exercises. These clubs used to mean more to the communities that they represent but every year that goes by they're really just cash cows for the billionaires who own them and become increasingly detached from their communities. Young people and the working class fans that are the backbone of home and away support increasingly priced out of attending matches. The push for things like super leagues, after already fucking over grassroots football in 1992 with the breakaway. The rampant commerciality of football at the expense of properly representing the communities these clubs originally represented.

It's all just in the pursuit of greed.

3 minutes ago, Redcanuck said:

You wouldn't think so given they were playing Real Madrid the next day.  It depends on the marketing in San Diego.  They might have suggested that United would split their squad for the two games.   I haven't heard about anybody who attended the game complaining. 

Like you say, that Real Madrid friendly should have been a big red flag to the United fans in San Diego... but the marketing was pretty dishonest, I won't lie. Talking about how the world famous Man Utd were coming and featuring pictures and video of the stars that play week-in-week-out for the United first team.

Again, in my personal opinion... paying money to see a training match where the ultimate goal is to bring players to match fitness is stupid and I don't think anyone should be doing that. But I think @Devil's got a point in it being pretty dishonest and taking advantage of fans living in a high cost of living area to get as much money from them as possible to watch kids and Evans get beaten by Wrexham.

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Lol the advertisements for it were hilarious though because they made it seem like it would be a heavyweight fight between two European powerhouses. But it's just Ryan Reynolds' league 2 side vs. kids & Jonny Evans. Created a load of traffic (not United's fault, it's SDSU's fault for making the entrance/exit to the stadium worse than it was when it was still an NFL stadium - the stadium's shite too despite being basically brand new. Not looking forward to going when the city finally gets it's MLS team tbh) and absolutely ripped off the people who went to attend.

I've got no sympathy for fans who got ripped off to see overseas friendlies tbh. They should all know they're just getting milked for all they can be asked to pay.

In fairness, they got to see the kid keeper nearly kill Mullin (maybe).

Probably more action there than some Prem games this season. 

Edited by Bluebird Hewitt
  • Wow 1

1 hour ago, Reluctant Striker said:

Bizarre. Any footballing or finance person would surely look at the situation of the manager choosing left backs ahead of him & take any money asap.

But then why accept and opening bid, nobody offers the figure they are willing to pay in a first bid. He will go for around 30 million plus add ons for European qualifications.

I suspect we will sell him and Mctominey as a package 60 million plus similar add ons.

9 hours ago, Reluctant Striker said:

Bizarre. Any footballing or finance person would surely look at the situation of the manager choosing left backs ahead of him & take any money asap.

I haven't taken the time to research how the FFP rules impact United, and might not understand them if I did,  but I have seen it said that if United sell him for less than 30m it impacts United negatively regarding FFP rules.

Rasmus Hojlund’s back injury is reportedly ‘more serious’ than first feared with the Manchester United striker set for a longer spell on the sidelines.

So we’re desperate for a striker and go and sign a guy who failed his medical for 72 million, who’ll probably be sidelined for months. It’s fucking unbelievable.

On 05/08/2023 at 07:07, JoshBRFC said:

Pfffftt

FSG are fucking clowns tbh. We've only got a limited time with Klopp and Salah, but they're business model is just relying on Klopp to work miracles. We're so fucked when he leaves, I think.

6 hours ago, MUFC said:

Rasmus Hojlund’s back injury is reportedly ‘more serious’ than first feared with the Manchester United striker set for a longer spell on the sidelines.

So we’re desperate for a striker and go and sign a guy who failed his medical for 72 million, who’ll probably be sidelined for months. It’s fucking unbelievable.

Better go spend another £70m

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, MUFC said:

Rasmus Hojlund

United’s main absentee for the start of the new season is Rasmus Hojlund. Ten Hag’s No1 striker target was finally signed last week in a deal that could be worth up to £72million after protracted talks with Atalanta.

A lot is expected of the Danish international, 20, after a breakout season in Serie A last term and favourable early comparisons to Erling Haaland, but he will have to wait a little while to hit the ground running in English football.

It has emerged that a back issue was detected during Hojlund’s medical, with United insisting that the injury sustained during pre-season with Atalanta is minor and only expected to keep him out for a “few weeks”.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/man-utd-injury-update-hojlund-martial-malacia-latest-news-return-dates-b1099629.html

• 2 weeks later...