talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Manchester United Discussion

football forum

2 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

Cavani will get 1 match tops. That's what Balotelli and Bernardo Silva got for posting racist jokes and I can't see how way Cavani did was worse than that. If anything it's less bad, but obviously you can't ban someone for less than 1 match

Honestly, I think it’s a bit harsh banning him instead of a fine or something. But I think the worry there would be “did we just go easy on racism and set a bad precedent?” - which is a fair worry. Even though I don’t think Cavani’s an actual racist - I think it’s just a cultural difference sort of thing.

He’s just come to England from France where saying “fuck your race” is an acceptable insult to utter out loud in public too... so you can forgive him for not thinking too much about the racial sensitivity of what he said.

Having said that, when you’re in a new country and there’s some things that aren’t socially acceptable... but they are in your homeland... you should follow the social norms of where you’ve moved to. And accept those norms so as to not accidentally be offensive.

But yeah I think a 1 match ban based off those other players’ bans for “similar” occurrences makes sense

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

Cavani will get 1 match tops. That's what Balotelli and Bernardo Silva got for posting racist jokes and I can't see how way Cavani did was worse than that. If anything it's less bad, but obviously you can't ban someone for less than 1 match

From this season, any player found guilty of a discrimination offence gets a three match ban

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

The NCAA has a ban for targeting that if a player is sent off after half time he has to sit out the first half of the next game.  I could imagine the uproar if Cavani can't start the next game but United could bring him on as a sub in the second half.

If the miminum penalty for a racist comment is three games, how did Silva only get one game?   If the Silva incident is used as a presendent, than Cavani will get a one game suspension.

1 minute ago, Redcanuck said:

The NCAA has a ban for targeting that if a player is sent off after half time he has to sit out the first half of the next game.  I could imagine the uproar if Cavani can't start the next game but United could bring him on as a sub in the second half.

If the miminum penalty for a racist comment is three games, how did Silva only get one game?   If the Silva incident is used as a presendent, than Cavani will get a one game suspension.

Because it changed this season. Bernardo Silva's was last season

20 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

3 hours ago, Cicero said:

So essentially racial insensitivity in those South American countries. 

It's embarrassing. The absolute nerve to police someone else in a different language.  The ban is ludicrous as is the outrage, for what purpose? Because it looks similar to a word in English? It smacks of condescending cultural superiority. 

Mary mother of Christ, Antonella Messi refers to herself as 'la Negra' on Instagram. It doesn't even necessarily refer to a black person ffs, people are being more racist in England by attaching their own prejudice to a word that isn't even used by them. I just watched a doco on Maradona and the spanish speakers referred to him as 'el negrito' a few times. Bloody hell, imagine if they knew you can go to a supermarket and buy a tin of 'negros frijoles'

It seems to me that in the UK and the USA and mention of colour is perceived as offensive and a sleight no matter the context. It's a disease on the culture of language

Edited by Spike

Context his key here. Suarez using a similar word to get under Evra's skin was completely different.

You can perfectly call someone a negrito in an endearing way. Denying this is denying multi-culturalism. You can't translate a word directly and misinterpret it. Cavani is just speaking to his friends who share his language and linguistic nuances in the most ordinary way like he always has. That some folks who work for the English FA reject and punish (!) this obvious cultural contrast is ridiculous.

With all the money he's got, I would sue them for damage to his image.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• Subscriber

I can't see PSG off-loading Neymar right now. They are going to be very thin on attack options if they do and bringing Pogba in is going to take some time on the ramp-up which is evident from his time spent in England. Plus, you'd need someone playing with him to stabilize his performances and who at PSG can really do that?

I can see Juve wanting him back there and he honestly would probably listen to Pirlo more than Ole based on their past.