talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool (2) 2-3aet (4) Atletico Madrid - Wednesday 11th March, 2020

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Inverted said:

They've not won it despite being one of the richest clubs and best few teams in Europe for the best part of a decade. Liverpool had two attempts after a decade of mediocrity and won it by playing aggressively. It's objectively less effective.

It can get you very far, but with their now enormous financial muscle, they need to try and actually build develop on their initial success. 

This football can still win you Euros and World Cups, when the game is slower and less coordinated, like it did with Portugal and France, but you just can't win a CL playing like this. 

The amount of money they’ve spent, I can’t believe the board and fans are happy with watching that shite. But he’s loved at Atletico so clearly they’re fine with it.

• Administrator

They've not won it despite being one of the richest clubs and best few teams in Europe for the best part of a decade. Liverpool had two attempts after a decade of mediocrity and won it by playing aggressively. It's objectively not worked. 

It can get you very far, but with their now enormous financial muscle, they need to try and actually build develop on their initial success. 

This football can still win you Euros and World Cups, when the game is slower and less coordinated, like it did with Portugal and France, but you just can't win a CL playing like this. 

Fair enough - I'll disagree. I think they'll win one eventually. To say they'll never win one is a bit far-fetched, in my humble opinion.

Liverpool were on top in this game until that blunder by Adrian. After that Atletico just punished Liverpool in a clinical fashion. They are the worst team you want your team to come up against though, with their park the bus and counter attack strategy. 

But we need to remember that this is the knockout round of the Champions League, if you make mistakes like how Adrian did tonight, you will get punished. I feel sorry for Liverpool though, as they were doing very well up until Adrian made his pathetic clearance.

1 minute ago, LFCMike said:

There's not many top sides that have a top second keeper

Must just be a Spanish thing, Barce and Real constantly had good competition for their #1's even though they were only ever going to be Cup keepers.

We were brilliant tonight. Keeper fucked us, decided to make his biggest errors of the season all in one game. Ridiculous. You’d think he would be inspired by Oblak playing like a bat out of hell, but no, he decided to just resort to being piss. 

4 minutes ago, Danny said:

Must just be a Spanish thing, Barce and Real constantly had good competition for their #1's even though they were only ever going to be Cup keepers.

I think it's a cultural thing where in some clubs/countries it's normal to have clear opportunities for your backup keepers, which in turn makes it easier to attract strong backups. I think with Britain we're a bit obsessed with having settled first choices in defence, particularly the goalkeeper. 

As you say, Real had Diego Lopez and Casillas for ages, Atlético had Moya for ages, Barca always have good backups. 

5 minutes ago, Danny said:

Romero at United is a good back up but I can't think of any others in the PL who are 'good'.

Just now, Inverted said:

I think it's a cultural thing where in some clubs/countries it's normal to have clear opportunities for your backup keepers, which in turn makes it easier to attract strong backups. I think with Britain we're a bit obsessed with having settled first choices in defence, particularly the goalkeeper. 

As you say, Real had Diego Lopez and Casillas for ages, Atlético had Moya for ages, Barca always have good backups. 

Yeah I just find it strange that in this day and age where football has been taken so far from doing things because of tradition that elite clubs in England (and whereever else it applies) don't stock up with a top level back-up keeper)

5 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The amount of money they’ve spent, I can’t believe the board and fans are happy with watching that shite. But he’s loved at Atletico so clearly they’re fine with it.

Unfortunately this style of football has brought them a lot of success. If they were to play a different way, it's quite likely that they wouldn't be as successful as they have been. Simeone obviously puts a great emphasis on defending and he brings in the best players suited to this style of play. It's annoying to watch when your team is up against them, but it has been very effective for Atletico over the years.

Last season it did bring a smile to my face when Dortmund beat Atletico 4-0 and Juventus beat Atletico 3-0 to knock them out. It's very satisfying to see clubs destroy Atletico's defensive style of football and seeing their parked bus getting smashed.

54 minutes ago, Inverted said:

Pathetic tie. No chance Atlético win the CL ever in their history. 

They even win like losers. 

you know nothing about football fucking pathetic anti-atleti falangist scum

i feel sorry for your bird, ugly cunt

...Is what I want to say but I just hope Real Madrid don't  win one again in the 99th minute/

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

you know nothing about football fucking pathetic anti-atleti falangist scum

i feel sorry for your bird, ugly cunt

...Is what I want to say but I just hope Real Madrid don't  win one again in the 99th minute/

Weren't Atleti the club of the fascist air force? Everyone knows Vallecano are the only sound cunts in Madrid. 

Weren't Atleti the club of the fascist air force? Everyone knows Vallecano are the only sound cunts in Madrid. 

They merged with another club that was founded by the air force and Atletico took their name.

A tale of two keepers.

One is arguably in the Top 5 of the best in the world, the other one is primarily a back up, and it showed.

Atletico are what they are. Been this way for years. They soak up pressure then hope to take their chances. Got to hand it to them, masters at it.

Liverpool were 'decent' tonight. The better team yes, but far from vintage. I've seen much better from them to be frank.

This game came at the wrong time for them. Unfortunate but that first leg wasn't great and games like Barcelona last year are not common occurrences.

• Subscriber
44 minutes ago, Lucas said:

A tale of two keepers.

One is arguably in the Top 5 of the best in the world, the other one is primarily a back up, and it showed.

Atletico are what they are. Been this way for years. They soak up pressure then hope to take their chances. Got to hand it to them, masters at it.

Liverpool were 'decent' tonight. The better team yes, but far from vintage. I've seen much better from them to be frank.

This game came at the wrong time for them. Unfortunate but that first leg wasn't great and games like Barcelona last year are not common occurrences.

Arguably in the top 5?! Talk about understatement 

He’s undoubtedly in that group and to be honest I’d go as far as saying he’s the best of all of them 

• Subscriber

Klopp making an absolute bellend of himself and BT have got to sort their act out. The most biased commentary and analysis I've ever seen. It's like those Jimmy Liddel videos only presented as actual legitimate expertise. Fucking hell.

14 minutes ago, Storts said:

Arguably in the top 5?! Talk about understatement 

He’s undoubtedly in that group and to be honest I’d go as far as saying he’s the best of all of them 

His distributions a bit shit tbh. He’s probably the best shot stopper in Europe though

• The topic was unpinned

Archived