Jump to content
talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

    The better place to talk football.

Ravanelli - I'd Score 60 A Season Nowadays, Defenders Are Shite


football forums

Recommended Posts

Quote

 

‘I don’t want to be pretentious, but I scored 34 goals for Juventus in the 1995-96 season and then 31 the next season with Middlesbrough. Nowadays, I’d score 60 goals a season, 50 for sure.
‘Once upon a time, it was difficult to score a goal. Now it’s easy. The great defenders are finished. There are no more Nestas, Maldinis or Stams. In every game you have five or six chances. It used to be one or two, maximum three.’

‘This is sure. Not just me but Gianfranco Zola, Eric Cantona, Teddy Sheringham, we’d all score more these days,' he says.

 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4739740/Fabrizio-Ravanelli-d-score-60-goals-season-nowadays.html

Is he right?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

I agree there's no 'great' defenders like Nesta/Maldini/Stam etc. The hardmen of football. Most defenders can play with the ball now as opposed to using their head. They're a bit more fancy as opposed to rugged and steely.

He wouldn't score 50+ though. No way.

EDIT: regards to the great defenders - in relation to my first sentence I'll amend that to say they're a dying breed. Chiellini is probably one of the last of those ilk. Vidic was as well but not sure if he's even still playing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First of all, systems of play are different now. Secondly, because systems are different, defenders have to be different...  Defenders actually have to know how to play football because otherwise they get raped.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think a great individual defender these days has more to his game than tree trunk defenders of the past that didn't know what to do with the ball at their feet.  These days defenders have to be footballers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, robosys said:

Messi, Ronaldo and Zlatan kept hitting double figures, he's right, defending ain't what it used to be :ay:

Maradona went past 10 players in Mexico WC86. There weren't too many doing that then if any at that level. Was also raping hardline Italian defenders in one of Italy's most defensive eras.

Di Stéfano and Puskas scored a hat-trick each in the 1960 European Cup Final (Champions League for those born after football became professional :ph34r:)

Hugo Sánchez was scoring double figures for Real Madrid when defenders were at their most tree trunkish.

Gunnar Nordhal's record of 35 goals in one Serie A season for Milan stood for 66 years until Higuaín broke it last season for Napoli.

Dixie Dean for Everton scored 60 goals in 1928 when defenders were allowed to stab people on the pitch.

I could actually go on with this but I've suddenly got bored. 

Special players do special things in any era. Ravanelli was just average and he's bitter. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

Maradona went past 10 players in Mexico WC86. There weren't too many doing that then if any at that level. Was also raping hardline Italian defenders in one of Italy's most defensive eras.

Di Stéfano and Puskas scored a hat-trick each in the 1960 European Cup Final (Champions League for those born after football became professional :ph34r:)

Hugo Sánchez was scoring double figures for Real Madrid when defenders were at their most tree trunkish.

Gunnar Nordhal's record of 35 goals in one Serie A season for Milan stood for 66 years until Higuaín broke it last season for Napoli.

Dixie Dean for Everton scored 60 goals in 1928 when defenders were allowed to stab people on the pitch.

I could actually go on with this but I've suddenly got bored. 

Special players do special things in any era. Ravanelli was just average and he's bitter. 

I was gonna say those are anomalies but you already pointed that out, no matter how solid an era is, there's bound to be anomalies but right now, defending sucks more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, robosys said:

I was gonna say those are anomalies but you already pointed that out, no matter how solid an era is, there's bound to be anomalies but right now, defending sucks more.

There are anomalies...  Those anomalies are called "great players" and they do great things.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Azeem98 said:

@SirBalon Offside rule was quite different in some of the eras  especially the 20s wasn't it?

Yeah... It didn't exist a long time ago as also bookings didn't exist, hence defenders being able to cripple anyone attacking their goal. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, SirBalon said:

I think a great individual defender these days has more to his game than tree trunk defenders of the past that didn't know what to do with the ball at their feet.  These days defenders have to be footballers.

This. The game is continuously evolving. If you don't have defenders who are just as good on the ball as they are at defending, you are going backwards. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Yeah... It didn't exist a long time ago as also bookings didn't exist, hence defenders being able to cripple anyone attacking their goal. 

I read that in the late 20s offside rule was changed this lead to an increased amount of goals scored 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...
1 minute ago, Salford Kel said:

He's right but the main reason is that the game is virtually a non-contact sport these days. I'd love to see Messi and Ronaldo try and score 20 goals in 1980s/1990s Serie A, let alone 50

Yep - Ronaldo going up against Materazzi in his prime, followed by a match against Nesta, Stam, Maldini, would have forced CR to take a few weeks off to recover from 3-4 different injuries. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrator
8 minutes ago, Eco said:

Yep - Ronaldo going up against Materazzi in his prime, followed by a match against Nesta, Stam, Maldini, would have forced CR to take a few weeks off to recover from 3-4 different injuries. 

The Brazilian Ronaldo could do it :x 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personally think it’s bollocks to suggest that certain footballers from the 90’s weren’t cultured enough to have anything else in their lockers but tackling or kicking an opponent and that certain current players wouldn’t be able to cut it because of alleged inefficiencies within their game.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Subscriber
On 29/07/2017 at 12:19, Stan said:

Vidic was as well but not sure if he's even still playing. 

Aye, retired but he was one of the best and a dying breed nowadays. 

Vidić joined Serie A club Internazionale on a free transfer. Vidić mainly featured as a rotational player for two seasons, eventually agreeing to an early termination of his contract on January 18, 2016, as a result of inactivity due to a hernia injury. Vidić then announced his retirement just under two weeks later, on January 29.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemanja_Vidić

Gone are the days of really hard men like Liverpool's Tommy Smith, Dave McKay, Jimmy Case etc but years ago you could chop a player down like 'Chopper' Harris would and the ref would signal play on or slam into a goalkeeper who had the ball in his hands and knock him into the back of the net and a goal was given, not like that anymore, touch a player with your finger and he will swan dive and roll around in agony as if hit by a bus and the ref will either send the other player off or hand out a yellow card.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

Sign up or subscribe to remove this ad.


×
×
  • Create New...