talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Man City 2-1 Liverpool - Thursday 3rd January, 2019

football forum

If I recall in the 2-1 last season at the Etihad, Liverpool went into HT 1-0 down and with a tiny share of possession, but having had some decent chances.

Not sure if it counts as a good omen considering the very differe circumstances in terms of the competition. 

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Liverpool has edged it but not enough to claim this is an "unfair" result.

I have to say I'm surprised at Vincent Kompany. He's been absolutely solid. Aside from one blunder he had during the Sadio Mane post where he completely fell asleep, Liverpool has been struggling to get past him.

I also echo everyone that Lovren has been the worst on the pitch. Finally, what a goal by Aguero. When he had it I had a feeling he would get it from that angle. Aguero is a master at those shots.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Really? I think they've been pretty sloppy, after Mane's second good chance we've really had a hard time moving the ball forward with any cohesion. I think Gini's been fine, tbh. Henderson and Milner have been the bigger offenders imo.

They can barely string 3 passes together but to be fair it is Man City they're playing against. It's hard to outclass that midfield.

Just now, LFCMadLad said:

No it probably means he cares Jack shit about South America :ph34r:

Nah, it's just level shock. Every match he faces a Vidal or a James Rodriguez, instead of Lee Cattermole and Ryan Fraser ;) 

• Subscriber

Nerves haven't settled yet and that City midfield are hustling. We need someone to keep the ball more because we just seem rushed in everything we do and the one time we did play precise they almost conceded. This won't end 1 - 0. 

I don't think we've done too badly. Contained them pretty well for the most part. A lapse in concentration from Lovren and a great finish from Aguero while at the other end we didn't take our chance. We can still get something here

• Subscriber

Was just waiting for that...'Kompany not that sort of player' - must get away with more red card tackles than any player in the league.

Blatant red should have been off but he gets away with it so often

Besides Vincent Kompany, who I've already praised, Sane has also been really good. He's not as active as I often see him but he's had a few good plays including one where he beat his man and through balled it in from wide before it was cleared by Van Dijk.

1 minute ago, Storts said:

Was just waiting for that...'Kompany not that sort of player' - must get away with more red card tackles than any player in the league.

Is it more a case of if he isn't that good and mistimes a lot of his tackles? Don't get me wrong, he's been superb and his presence at set pieces is key but he's never been the best with players running at him, especially recently.

3 minutes ago, Storts said:

He has always been one of the most overrated centre backs. Done well so far tonight though.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Is it more a case of if he isn't that good and mistimes a lot of his tackles? Don't get me wrong, he's been superb and his presence at set pieces is key but he's never been the best with players running at him, especially recently.

Yeah that could be it, not saying he’s malicious, but you see that sort of thing a lot from him over the last few years, but for some reason he seems to always get away with it. 

Hes exactly that these days, a presence and a leader but as a footballer he’s not really at City’s level imo 

• The title was changed to Man City 2-1 Liverpool - Thursday 3rd January, 2019
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived