talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool (4) 4-0 (3) Barcelona - Tuesday 7th May, 2019 (SF 2nd Leg)

Just now, Inverted said:

When I think "Luis Suarez" I picture two biting scandals, a handball against Ghana, him crying his eyes out at Selhurst park, and the two of the biggest bottlings in CL history. 

When people think of Maradona, some think of that handball against England and his drug addictions.

That doesn't change that most people remember him as the greatest to ever play, or at least amongst the 3. I doubt people will forget Suarez' antics but he will also be remembered for being a phenomenal player.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Inverted said:

When I think "Luis Suarez" I picture two biting scandals, a handball against Ghana, him crying his eyes out at Selhurst park, and the two of the biggest bottlings in CL history. 

The handball for me is just like the corner. Well within the player’s rights but not the fairest thing to do. Personally, I just don’t like seeing games influenced by such silly things, maybe I am bing too harsh but I’ve always preferred a show of skill over mistakes.

In all sense of competition, Suarez and Arnold dod the right thing

• Subscriber

I will never ever doubt us at home on a European night ever again. We’ve scalped some big teams and tonight was no different. No one gave up till the end and ran themselves into the ground. You can’t even call a best player on the night here they were all that good.

2 minutes ago, The Käiser said:

Like Robertson taking a swipe at messi while on the ground.  

Liverpool is no stranger to unfair play. 

That goal was tricky at best. 

Im not a fan of free kicks being taken quickly.  U should have to wait for the ref to whistle to stop and start play.  I would not be happy if I was on the receiving end of that kind of play

That said Barcelona have themselves to blame to squander a 3:0 lead then a 3:1 lead with 45 minutes to play 

Have they become the 'bottlers'?

I think both teams were being cunty arseholes to each other because over both legs the referees let them get away with probably more than they should have because they probably were afraid if they stamped their authority on the matches too hard they'd be accused of fucking up a CL semi-final.

Both sides and the referees in both legs I think came off as off-putting to a neutral. Both sides were clearly desperate to go through and were willing to do little cheap things to try to get some sort of advantage. Whether it was getting into their opponents head or conning the referee or taking a free kick quickly (which I think is the least serious of the offenses, especially with all the shithousing going on you'd think they'd maybe account for that kind of shithousing as well).

But I'm not a neutral, so fuuuuuck Barca but I'm okay with whatever helped us get that 4th goal because I'm a Liverpool fan.

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Valverde in trouble?

Two iconic bottlejobs in two years. I don't think he survives it even with two titles.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Inverted said:

Three. He started his rabid biting in Holland already xD 

Fuck that Barcelona team and everything they stand for. 

Messi is an amazing player, but he's a horrible bastard. 

Knocking them out in that fashion is so sweet.

2 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I don't see how anyone complains about that goal being unsporting. You want to win the Champions League and you're playing Liverpool you can't afford to switch off and all turn away at a corner.

Exactly what I said earlier.

In football, there is no forgiving. If you want to win you've got to be provocative and the same can be said for not being innocent. That adds all the bit of experience to it.

Being "unsporting" isn't well received and does leave a sour taste in many, but why do you care if you got what you wanted in the end?

When Argentina won the World Cup in 1986. I don't think Argentina fans or the team gave 2 fucks about the handball vs England. Same when Chile won their Copa America at the point of provocation. Same when Peru beat Brazil in the last Copa America for the first time in 40 years.

It's all part of strategy. It can backfire like anything else and result in your own karma, like it did with Suarez today. But more often than not it works in your favour if you know how to do it.

On 02/05/2019 at 01:24, carefreeluke said:

Testament to Klopp that Liverpool fans still believe they have a chance in the second leg. I for one am with them in that belief.

The thing is I'm not even that surprised about this result. Klopp has done wonderful things with this club, great performance and what a night for Liverpool fans.

6 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I don't see how anyone complains about that goal being unsporting. You want to win the Champions League and you're playing Liverpool you can't afford to switch off and all turn away at a corner.

Exactly. And Barcelona. Unsporting. Fuck them

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Spike said:

The handball for me is just like the corner. Well within the player’s rights but not the fairest thing to do. Personally, I just don’t like seeing games influenced by such silly things, maybe I am bing too harsh but I’ve always preferred a show of skill over mistakes.

In all sense of competition, Suarez and Arnold dod the right thing

Handball is literally against the rules though, whereas taking a corner quickly isn't?

Barca have themselves to blame for not being switched on. They knew a corner was given and they just weren't focussed or concentrated enough. Against a Liverpool side like this, that's criminal.

Liverpool can have praise heaped on them, in my eyes, for just thinking quickly and being smarter at that moment, primarily Alexander-Arnold.

Tell you what. I'll never, ever question the chances of this team ever again. I said I had no hope before the game, these boys proved that there is ALWAYS hope. 

Love this team and this club so much. 

On we march to Sunday. Anything is possible.

1 minute ago, Rick said:

Tell you what. I'll never, ever question the chances of this team ever again. I said I had no hope before the game, these boys proved that there is ALWAYS hope. 

Love this team and this club so much. 

On we march to Sunday. Anything is possible.

Yep, they shut my pessimism well the fuck up xD

What an absolutely incredible match

3 minutes ago, Stan said:

Handball is literally against the rules though, whereas taking a corner quickly isn't?

Barca have themselves to blame for not being switched on. They knew a corner was given and they just weren't focussed or concentrated enough. Against a Liverpool side like this, that's criminal.

Liverpool can have praise heaped on them, in my eyes, for just thinking quickly and being smarter at that moment, primarily Alexander-Arnold.

Suarez was given a red, and Ghana a penalty. I am not saying it is a big deal at all, just saying what it is. I have always thought of it as one if those ‘unwritten conduct rules’ like kicking the ball out whn someone is down.

Origi this season kinda reminds me of Pippo Inzaghi late in his career at Milan. Far from being a great forward, but the goal he scores sure do count. 

Regarding Alisson, there´s a lot of discussion about him in Brazil. I´d say half of brazilians hate him and use every goal he concedes to mock him. In my opinion, he´s a great goalkeeper. Many here say he makes easy saves, but those saves he makes are simple because he´s always at the right place, his sense of position is what makes him a great goalkeeper. 

Barcelona was once again punished for Valverde´s negativity. The last two Barcelona eliminations in the Champions League were very similar. A truly terrible performance from Jordi Alba. I can´t see Coutinho staying at Barcelona next season, same for Rakitic. 

Fabinho and Arnold were amazing today. 

What a match!

I had actually predicted Liverpool and Ajax to go through before the first ties, but after the 3-0 in Spain i didn't think it was gonna happen. Much less with Salah and Firmino out, congrats Liverpool, amazing result and comeback.

• The title was changed to Liverpool (4) 4-0 (3) Barcelona - Tuesday 7th May, 2019 (SF 2nd Leg)
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived