Pochettino Sacked by Spurs; Replaced by Jose Mourinho

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Chelsea - hadn’t won the title since 1955

Inter - hasn’t won the UCL since 1965

Real - hadnt won the title vs Barca for 3 years

Porto - one title in 4 seasons prior, and 20 years since last UCL

Welcome back 🐐🐐🐐🐐🐐

Unless he's given a proper backing he'll be winning fuck all. Something's got to give here, Levy and Mourinho feels like a match made in hell that will only go one way. Mourinho shouldn't be derided but I'm not convinced this is the job for him, nor is he the manager for Spurs.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Sad day for Spurs, but there's something gone rotten at the club and the manager is the first thing that changes usually. They haven't looked like the team Poch built over the last few years so far this season.

Mourinho to Spurs seems like an odd fit, but I would like to see him back in the league from a neutral perspective. I'm no great fan of Mourinho but some of the rewriting of history from some people on his managerial ability has me wanting to see a mini redemption arc from him just for a laugh.

I think Mourinho doesn't have the good will from the press nor the passion that was so critical to his earlier successes.

Let's be honest, the manager to follow Mauricio Pochettino at Spurs after a surprise sacking isn't going to get much good will from anyone outside the club. And a Mourinho who has now fallen out with the British press 3 times previous would get even less than most. The narrative of "they shouldn't have got rid of the last guy" has already been written.

5 hours ago, Storts said:

I want to write something, it may not be eloquent, it may not mean anything to anybody but me, or to Spurs fans, but I feel like I owe it to Pochettino as stupid as that may sound. We are all on this forum because we love football - and for the vast majority because we love our clubs. The reasons as to why are varied, as is almost certainly the strength to which we love them, but for all of us there will be reasons and moments that resonate as to why - and Pochettino's tenure has given me so many reasons to love my football club.

A lot of the below is probably going to sound trivial to many - it may be sneered at - it may be dismissed as minor or small time - but honestly at this moment I don't think any of that matters. Regardless of our failure to win a trophy under his leadership, something he and I regret no doubt in equal measure, and for reasons in my belief that are far beyond his control, what he has given us over this time is exactly what he said he would on the day he joined. He said he'd do everything in his power to make us proud of this football club again - and I can tell you Mauricio that is exactly what you did.

I think, without starting the usual internet arguments, that going home and away following your club means that you get a stronger connection to the club and what is going on. I certainly felt that with Pochettino - he was universally loved across the fanbase. He gave us reason to hope and to dream - and to believe in what he was doing and the players that were absolutely besotted with him for several years.

I don't really know where to begin with this - it's just a collection of rambling thoughts currently - and I have no doubts that I am going to forget certain things over the last five years that have really made today such a painful one, but we cannot forget the special moments we've had with him. Lets not pretend things have been going well in 2019. Most defeats in a calendar year for us since Juande Ramos and 2009. Abysmal away form. No clear plan or way to get out of the slump. Playing players that did not want to be there or fight for him. Things were not right. But that's not to say that he didn't deserve the opportunity to rebuild as he did once before. Tear things down and start again. He deserved that opportunity. It still needs to happen - just now it's going to be somebody different. The same problems exist, just we don't know what we are getting ourselves into. The joke is, he is paying the price for the chairman standing still - for the lack of progression and signings. We had the perfect opportunity to kick on and keep improving but he refused to put the money in. The blame lies solely at this feet.

I think what must be added right now - is how unbelievably well Pochettino has actually done - turning this club into a regular Champions League participant, a finalist, and put us back on the map domestically and in Europe. He's a victim of his own success. He's consistently helped us punch above our weight. With a wage bill and transfer budget so far below the other top 5 clubs in this league. We played two years away from home - and I don't think I can explain how difficult that must have been. It was toxic at Wembley, people were voting with their feet, and to get the players up for it and enable us to get into the top 4 again last year was some achievement. 

He took us up a few levels. He changed the mentality at the club. He made us a feared opponent, aggressive and well organised, defensively sound whilst exciting going forward. He built us a foundation that we pushed and turned into the most glorious football of my lifetime. That final season at White Hart Lane was breathtaking. Just a shame we couldn't mark it with silverware. 

I think Dele said it best on Twitter tonight - ”I can’t thank this man enough. He’s taught me so much and I’m so grateful for everything he’s done for me. Good luck and hope to see you again my friend.” - every single one of those players owes him so much for the improvement they've made as footballers over the last few years. He's given them opportunities to prove themselves at the top level. 

This from Melissa Reddy also "Mauricio Pochettino made exceeding expectations the norm at Tottenham under several restrictions at a time when their rivals have never been so well resourced or relentless. He changed how we viewed Spurs. A transformation greater than trophies by a certified elite manager" - some people will sneer at that - but it's a perfectly accurately representation of how far we've come

But things have definitely got worse. He had young players willing to learn and listen to his ideas. Willing to press and give their all for the club. Whether it's simply a fitness and age thing, or just a lack of application, our pressing game has gone. We’ve regressed since finishing second to Chelsea. We’ve got less points, conceded more goals and scored less as each season passed. The players may have got complacent and believed their own hype - and Pochettino struggled to re-energise them. That's why standing still and not adding to the squad matters so much.

But I don't want to write about that - I just want to go down memory lane - to remember why these past five years have been special.

He came in - and the squad was a mess - the team was full of mercenaries. It started incredibly, Eric Dier last minute winner at West Ham - but then we struggled. It was clear that Kaboul, Adebayor etc. had to go. It was time to bring through the young players that wanted to play for the club. That it meant something to. So the revolution begun. Harry Kane off the bench at Aston Villa with a late deflected free kick winner. That kick started it all. To Ryan Mason, Andros Townsend, Kane. Players that helped turn us around, that bought into Pochettino's methods and the sense of pride he wanted to establish.

The 'battle of the bridge' - albeit drawing on a night that saw Leicester crowned us champions - but it was a night that established a new Tottenham team. One that had a backbone, that wouldn't be walked all over. The passion on display that night fighting for the shirt. You don't forget that.

He retired St Totteringham's day. He took us back to being the best team in North London. After the disaster of the 5-1 defeat at Newcastle he came back and played the most remarkable season of football I've seen us play. I think it's three seasons in a row now we've finished above them, and considering that hadn't happened since I was 3 - it's something that cannot be understated. 

The win at the Bridge on Easter Sunday. Finally - for the first time since 1989. We didn't fear going to these grounds anymore.

The Finale at the Lane - the win against Manchester United and the send off to the finest stadium in the Land. Magical. 

Thrashing European Champions Real Madrid at Wembley.

The emotions of City away, VAR, knocking out the PL Champions. Followed up the emotions of Ajax - nothing will top that. The passion from a manager I've heard was in pieces at his sacking today - he got it. He understood what it was to be Tottenham. He understand what it is to really connect with a football club. To throw yourself into the job and feel what the supporters feel. Those images of him celebrating on the pitch epitomised his management of the club. No doubt he's been hurting with how 2019 has gone. 

The climax in Madrid - what could have been the perfect end to the fairytale I've felt we've been on under Poch. But it wasn't to be. But those memories from that run can never be taken away from us. The celebrations etched into our minds. 

As it's 1:20 I'll leave it there - it probably means nothing to anyone else, but I just wanted to put down in writing how I am feeling now. Ridiculous that football gets you so emotional, but I'm sad, angry, but thankful this tenure has happened. Thankful that we've had this warm, engaging, positive manager in charge of this great football club. Fit to follow in the footsteps of Bill Nicholson. Thankful that he was the man to lead us into a new era with the new stadium. A different standing for the club - and different level.

And whilst to me it has ended prematurely, through a board that hasn't backed him, and seemingly a loss of willpower and strength to turn things around - it's been an incredible five years and if the next appointment is indeed confirmed as Mourinho, he has massive shoes to fill. He's going to struggle to connect with a fanbase as our special Argentine did. Thank you Mauricio, for everything, for giving me my best moments supporting this club. Best of luck for the future. I really wish him all the success in the world.

He's magic, you know. 

What a fantastic post. Feel for ya mate!

• Subscriber

Good luck Spurs.

I read somewhere that the decision made by Levy was mostly due to the fact that they need the CL money to fund the debt on the new stadium? Don't know how far that's true but this is the guy to get you there if that's the goal.

• Subscriber

He brings you trophies. Ultimately Poch failed at that. His tenure was good, but not as amazingly best ever as some make out. Plus Poch and Spurs have been aided by the massive downfall of Arsenal and United in the League.

Mourinho will do well and probably bring in a trophy, something Spurs aren't used to.

It's interesting that this is the season they chose to do the Amazon documentary behind the scenes at Spurs.

It probably will not paint him in as good a light as he deserves. I'm sure Levy will be very selective in what is allowed to be shown.

I don't think Spurs have been the same since Moussa Dembele left to be totally honest. He was such a great player for them amongst the Kane's and Eriksson's, that the last ligament injury really finished him off. Don't quite have that same muscle without him IMO.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, True Blue said:

He does bring trophies, if he has a 300 mill budget every summer. He will be lucky if Levy pays him his salary.

I don't think Jose would have taken the job without some kind of assurance on a transfer budget. 300 mil seems a bit obscene but I am thinking he has player(s) in mind for the winter transfer window and Spurs will have to chase them now. 

I'm amazed they sacked him, not so much that he's left but that he was sacked. I thought it would be some kind of 'mutual agreement', if not a resignation. There was a feeling perhaps his reign was coming to a close, with lots of unrest among the players.

On Mourinho: This is a big chance for him. If he can turn Spurs into a top outfit without having the extravagant spending of Guardiola he can be considered back up there again, surely? It could could go very wrong too, if Poch was surly with the owners then what will Mourinho be like if things aren't going as he likes?

14 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I don't think Jose would have taken the job without some kind of assurance on a transfer budget. 300 mil seems a bit obscene but I am thinking he has player(s) in mind for the winter transfer window and Spurs will have to chase them now. 

The question begs, why wasn't Pochettino given whatever Mourinho will hypothetically get to improve via the transfer market?

If anyone deserved that it was Pochettino as he is the one responsible for Spurs' current status.

21 minutes ago, True Blue said:

He does bring trophies, if he has a 300 mill budget every summer. He will be lucky if Levy pays him his salary.

tenor.gif?itemid=10178656

Although it's a blessing for everyone that loves the game, the die hard haters of Don Jose Mourinho are already in full force...led by sir balon. His trophies are nothing compare to his character and all one needs as prove is the words of Samuel Eto'o.

Any Christmas present coming my way is an absolute WASTE, this is all I needed! Gracias Spurs! Gracias Portugal! Y muchisimas PUTAS GRACIAS DON JOSE! :x

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

The question begs, why wasn't Pochettino given whatever Mourinho will hypothetically get to improve via the transfer market?

If anyone deserved that it was Pochettino as he is the one responsible for Spurs' current status.

That's a great question and I think it boils down to the fact that him and Levy had a falling out of some sorts. I don't see why they wouldn't have given him that money considering what Poch gave to to the club over his tenure. Its one of those cases where the manager got shafted due to poor relations with the board. This appointment was definitely in the wings for a long long time and they planned it so that if they were in position X they could fire the current manager and bring the replacement in. 

• Administrator

I feel like I've awoken into an alternative universe. What the fuck has just happened?! I get Spurs have been, shaky and average at times but this is Tottenham and they invariably turn things around towards the end of the season. Which is quite some.way off too. It's all very weird and bringing Mourinho in is s bit like spiking your own drink to celebrate. If Levy felt Mauricio was overly complaining wait until Jose gets into a bad run of form and alienates his players.

Pochetino brought through Kane and turned him into a £100m+ player. He turned Ali into a £50m+ plus player, the list goes on. He then got them into the CL repetitively whilst on a low(ish) budget while the new stadium was built.

Hes now been rewarded for that with the sack, whilst a deal to bring in chequebook manager Mourinho was being arranged behind his back. 

The more you think about it, the more disgusting it sounds. 

• The title was changed to Pochettino Sacked by Spurs; Replaced by Jose Mourinho

Archived