talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak

football forum

As it stands, 9 cases in Catalunya(73 in total in Spain, 67 in Main-land Spain, with 6 on the Islands), all of which have either come from travelling to Italy(with one travelling to Germany), or a case of someone who had been in contact with them. I wouldn't say that was a cause for concern yet, considering how most of the cases weren't caught there, although there have been 9 cases among the other regions in which the person hasn't travelled to a risk zone or been in contact with anyone who has, so that is a cause for concern.

I'm not too worried about catching it, it's the cancellation of flights, etc which is worrying as viruses like this can soon escalate, which creates panic and before you know it, flights are being cancelled all over the place, football games being played behind closed doors, etc.

Edited by Carnivore Chris

1 hour ago, Carnivore Chris said:

I'm not too worried about catching it, it's the cancellation of flights, etc which is worrying as viruses like this can soon escalate, which creates panic and before you know it, flights are being cancelled all over the place, football games being played behind closed doors, etc.

They are WHO contagion control recommendations.

There have been 3 major global flu pandemics in the last 110 years which killed millions each time. The worst of which killed an estimated 20-50 million in just one year after infecting an estimated half a billion.

COVID-19 has the necessary speed of contagion and mortality rates to do similar damage. Failure to control contagion has already been mapped out to make an estimated 400,000 deaths in the UK alone.

• Subscriber

Midnight's update for international cases outside of mainland China in the last 24 hours (00:00 to 24:00 CET Mar 1):

1759 new cases and 23 new deaths:

• South Korea - 586 new cases and 4 deaths;
  • Italy - 566 new cases and 5 deaths;
  • Iran - 385 new cases and 11 deaths;
  • Germany - 51 new cases;
  • France - 30 new cases;
  • Spain - 26 new cases;
  • Japan - 15 new cases and 1 death;
  • UK - 13 new cases;
  • Hong Kong - 7 new cases;
  • Bahrain, Iraq - 6 new cases each;
  • USA, Ecuador - 5 new cases each;
  • Singapore, Australia, Malaysia, Canada, Austria, Norway - 4 new cases each;
  • Finland, Lebanon, Israel, Switzerland, Netherlands, Czech Republic - 3 new cases each;
  • Mexico, Azerbaijan, Iceland, Qatar - 2 new cases each;
  • Taiwan, Sweden, Belgium, Kuwait, Croatia, Denmark, Domenican Republic, Armenia - 1 new case each.
  • Australia and Thailand also reported their first deaths too (1 each).

Three countries reported their first ever cases today (Czech Republic, Domenican Republic, Armenia). 

Current total: 8541 cases and 130 deaths in 67 countries.

DgLSOwL.png

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Harry said:

I think both Italy and South Korea are at the point of being out of control similar to how things were in Hubei before the Chinese government made some big calls to build a fence contained to that area. In more freedom loving westernised countries it will be interesting to see if less extreme measures can be as effective.

We can joke about it but I see nothing interesting about trial and error when it comes to human lives, just irresponsibility and incompetence.

1 hour ago, Machado said:

We can joke about it but I see nothing interesting about trial and error when it comes to human lives, just irresponsibility and incompetence.

I'm not joking at all mate. I'm suggesting that there may be a conversation worth having about whether more extreme measures like China's are justified in these circumstances, even if it means imposing on people's individual freedoms

• Subscriber
23 minutes ago, Harry said:

I'm not joking at all mate. I'm suggesting that there may be a conversation worth having about whether more extreme measures like China's are justified in these circumstances, even if it means imposing on people's individual freedoms

All countries should have banned China flights and implemented proper border controls with strict health checks and aggressive testing from the very start instead of sticking their heads in sand and ignoring the threat for almost two months hoping it would somehow disappear by itself. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, nudge said:

All countries should have banned China flights and implemented proper border controls with strict health checks and aggressive testing from the very start instead of sticking their heads in sand and ignoring the threat for almost two months hoping it would somehow disappear by itself. 

Agreed. You can read the tea leaves pretty easily now in looking at the situation in Iran, Italy and South Korea in a manner that would have been evident initially in hubei. In all three locations it's clear that actual identification of the cases is hugely lagging the reality on the ground and therefore best to treat everyone who's been to those affected locations as being infected until proven otherwise.

I wonder whether we were lulled into a false sense of security by the relatively effective containment of some previous nasties like ebola and sars.

55 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Had our first confirmed case in Wales on Friday in the 'Swansea area'. Think it was actually coming back from a ski trip as well. 

How bad is it in Australia @Toinho, @Devil-Dick Willie and @Harry?

My sister is currently at the Gold Coast so just wondering, especially if flights are being cancelled or affected. 

Like 25 people caught it for 1 death. It's nothing. Our government just needed the change of topic so are sensationalising it and trying to look like they're doing something

• Subscriber

nudge is bang on about what should have been done. It should have never reached anywhere near this kind of spread. The flight suspensions and quarantine shit was done way to god damn late. 

We were just hearing about TA (teachers assistant) in a local school district from Iran that was confirmed to have had the virus but they wouldnt release the schools she had attended. The facebook investigators figured it out anyways but she had been to nearly half a dozen schools in several suburbs. 

On another note over the weekend my better half was showing me the social media shit about stores being sold out of non perishable foods, like rice and noodles and canned stuff. I imagine this is only the begining.

2 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Had our first confirmed case in Wales on Friday in the 'Swansea area'. Think it was actually coming back from a ski trip as well. 

How bad is it in Australia @Toinho, @Devil-Dick Willie and @Harry?

My sister is currently at the Gold Coast so just wondering, especially if flights are being cancelled or affected. 

2 cases in Western Australia both from that cruise ship. One died. Not sure why we brought them into Perth though. Expecting a few more cases because of it. 

Over east I think most cases are because of people coming back from Iran.

• Subscriber

Midnight's update for international cases outside of mainland China in the last 24 hours (00:00 to 24:00 CET Mar 2):

1740 new cases and 44 new deaths:

• South Korea - 599 new cases and 7 new deaths;
  • Iran - 523 new cases and 12 deaths;
  • Italy - 342 new cases and 18 deaths;
  • France - 61 new cases and 1 death;
  • Spain - 36 new cases;
  • Germany - 35 new cases;
  • USA - 26 new cases and 5 deaths;
  • Japan - 18 new cases;
  • Kuwait - 10 new cases;
  • Netherlands - 8 new cases;
  • Canada, Iraq - 7 new cases each;
  • Belgium, Switzerland, Norway - 6 new cases each;
  • Australia, UK, Austria, Qatar - 4 new cases each;
  • India, Lebanon, Iceland - 3 new cases each;
  • Singapore, Israel, Bahrain, Indonesia, Portugal - 2 new cases each;
  • Thailand, Taiwan, Finland, Russia, Sweden, Egypt, Croatia, Czech Republic, Andorra, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Tunisia, Latvia, Morocco - 1 new case each;
  • San Marino also reported their 1st death.

Nine countries reported their first ever cases today (Indonesia, Portugal, Andorra, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Tunisia, Latvia, Morocco). 

Current total: 10290 cases and 174 deaths in 76 countries.

173xVyY.png

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
17 minutes ago, Machado said:

I hope that was one good fucking bat soup.

That bat soup video was not taken in Wuhan - and not anywhere in China for that matter - and the first patients haven't even visited the market where the virus was thought to have originated.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/01/27/dont-blame-bat-soup-for-the-wuhan-virus/

Americans running to stores in panic to get health supplies, classy America as always. Tbh i wouldn't blame them when your country is under attack by aliens or a giant volcano is about blow up in every other movie i can see understand their panic. 

11 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Like 25 people caught it for 1 death. It's nothing. Our government just needed the change of topic so are sensationalising it and trying to look like they're doing something

9 hours ago, Toinho said:

2 cases in Western Australia both from that cruise ship. One died. Not sure why we brought them into Perth though. Expecting a few more cases because of it. 

Over east I think most cases are because of people coming back from Iran.

Cheers for that. 

Dreading what will happen, if and when this truly explodes here. 

I have travelled by air between Delhi and Mumbai couple of days ago, and there was no checking - at least for domestic passengers.

Of the three new cases that have been found, the woman in Telangana admitted herself to a better hospital after she found the staff in the earlier hospital not being careful enough.

The other, a man, in Delhi attended a birthday bash in school. So now the entire school has been fumigated and the 40 or so odd children and adults that attended that party kept under isolation.

Don't know much about the third, who has landed in @Mel81xs city. 

The one good thing about this is that  idiots on WhatsApp have equated this with bird flu, and therefore the price of chicken has considerably reduced. 

Edited by IgnisExcubitor

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

Don't know much about the third, who has landed in @Mel81xs city. 

The one good thing about this is that  idiots on WhatsApp have equated this with bird flu, and therefore the price of chicken has considerably reduced. 

Not much really. He landed here on the 20th of Feb then flew out to Hyderabad on the 22nd. The government is going through the protocol of finding out who all he came in touch with but that's the latest news from here. No one wants to divulge the software company he works for just to be on the safe side but of course its not that simple. We'll find out more as it starts to develop.

Bangalore airport hasn't bothered with any checking as I flew from Goa back to BLR but I suspect once this starts to gain a bit more traction they'll start this at the airports too. 

So far there are no confirmed cases of the virus in Bangalore.

Edited by Mel81x