talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Sleep

football forum

1 hour ago, Mel81x said:

The internet just keeps you shuffling around and that in itself keeps the brain active which then leads to no sleep. I don't do any browsing at all when I am in bed, its always just reading and these days I've downloaded a lot of Manga so I start reading those and before I know it I am out.

I tend to use the laptop to watch films and tv series later in the evening when everyone else is asleep because you don't get the constant interruptions like you do in the daytime especially with Leelah about.. She will sit and watch football matches with me though, she does like her football

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Harry said:

I'm most particular about what I wear, and getting the clothing balance right for the right now temperature in the room. If I lie down and get boiling its going to be a long night 

I am just straight down to shorts and that's it for me, if it's warm I throw the blankets back or have one leg dangling out of the bed, If I am still too warm then the window gets opened to let some cooler air in the place.. Our bedroom is at the front of the house and it gets the full sun all day and by the evening it's normally roasting in there.. 

• Subscriber

Reading for me is what gets me into the sleepy mood. Often find myself racing to finish a chapter as I start to nod off. Other times, I'll fall asleep with Friends on in the background on Netflix until it asks me if I'm still watching. TV then turns off within the hour of non-activity.

• Administrator
25 minutes ago, Harry said:

I'm most particular about what I wear, and getting the clothing balance right for the right now temperature in the room. If I lie down and get boiling its going to be a long night 

Also a bit particular about what I do before bed. Up late doing work and I'll be lying in bed for a long time trying to get to sleep. Ideally something not too intense before bed. Then get into bed put a super dark Bluelight filter on my phone and look at tf365 until be eyes get tired.

A mistake I make about 3 times a week is eat something too close to bedtime. That seems to keep the metabolism going whilst I'm asleep and makes me more likely to wake up hungry in the night.

Yeah I usually don't eat something within 2 hours of going up to bed. 

Definitely not cheese or dairy, either! Had some proper weird cheese-dreams in the past xD.

18 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

I am the opposite... No matter how tired I can get woken by the slightest of noises, If a mouse moves a pebble at the bottom of the garden I am awake.. then it takes me ages to doze off again, once awake I usually get up and go down to make a drink, it's rare I get any decent/long periods of sleep anymore.. 

Oh yeah, once I'm up that's it. Especially if it's just before when I want to get up i.e. just before an alarm. I'm not one to keep snoozing the alarm either. I don't get these people that have about 10 alarms on their phone.

The worst is when you really want a lie-in on the weekend but you still get up about 7am. 

1 hour ago, Stan said:

The worst is when you really want a lie-in on the weekend but you still get up about 7am. 

Yea, annoying that is.. Like you if I am awake before the alarm I just get up and for the life of me I can never get a lay in no matter what I try to do, I even have 4 days off and can get up whenever I want and still find myself up really early between 5-6am on a regular basis.. 

32 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Used to do lot of reading before bed and always found that to be a good way to fall asleep but I do the internet now which explains a lot.. maybe I should get myself a couple of good books and try the reading again.. 

I highly highly recommend downloading a blue light filter app for your phone or tablet mate. It'll make that online time much less stimulating for the brain.

Bluelight filter on 90%, a few bookmarked @SirBalon posts and I'm all set for the land of nod.

• Subscriber

To be fair I have no sleep routine. Usually work long (until 12-2am), then I like to watch a movie or a few episodes of some show or read a book, then take a shower and if I'm tired and sleepy already I'll just go to bed then, that's usually around 4-5am. Also enjoy having a beer in a bubble bath at night every once in a while, great for relaxing and it makes me proper sleepy every time xD as for falling asleep and sleeping through the night, I have no problems with it... Just need to have fresh air in the bedroom so always leave the window open. 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, nudge said:

To be fair I have no sleep routine. Usually work long (until 12-2am), then I like to watch a movie or a few episodes of some show or read a book, then take a shower and if I'm tired and sleepy already I'll just go to bed then, that's usually around 4-5am. Also enjoy having a beer in a bubble bath at night every once in a while, great for relaxing and it makes me proper sleepy every time xD as for falling asleep and sleeping through the night, I have no problems with it... Just need to have fresh air in the bedroom so always leave the window open. 

Its odd how most folks working in Asia seem to have a very similar time to sleep. Even my mother can't sleep till midnight and she doesn't work anymore. Odd.

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Harry said:

I highly highly recommend downloading a blue light filter app for your phone or tablet mate. It'll make that online time much less stimulating for the brain.

Bluelight filter on 90%, a few bookmarked @SirBalon posts and I'm all set for the land of nod.

I second this. I don't usually use phone before sleep but I do have a blue filter on the laptop as I'm working late and it makes a huge difference. 

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Its odd how most folks working in Asia seem to have a very similar time to sleep. Even my mother can't sleep till midnight and she doesn't work anymore. Odd.

To be honest I'm exactly the same when I'm in Europe too xD always been a night owl, can't sleep before midnight regardless of when I get up... 

• Administrator
19 minutes ago, Harry said:

13 minutes ago, nudge said:

I second this. I don't usually use phone before sleep but I do have a blue filter on the laptop as I'm working late and it makes a huge difference. 

Yeah I have one on my laptop. I think @Rab first introduced me to using a programme/app called Flux back on the old site.

For some reason I don't like using it on my phone though. 

1 hour ago, Harry said:

1 hour ago, nudge said:

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Yeah I have one on my laptop. I think @Rab first introduced me to using a programme/app called Flux back on the old site.

I will have to try that then... My new Laptop has windows 10 and it's built in I believe?? but the one I use for here and other work etc does not have one and I will need to download it.. 

1 hour ago, True Blue said:

Work days i get up at 7:00 am for work, and i got to bed at around 11 pm. On the weekends and Friday i got to bed around 12 am or 1 am and get up around 10 pm.

A lot of the blokes I work with are normally in bed and asleep by 8 or 9 latest which I find odd, I know we have to be up early but they always tell me how knackered they are at the end of a shift and some of them are half my age... I won't settle until around midnight at least even on a workday as I can't stand the idea of that strictly work,sleep,work,sleep routine with nothing in between... All that extra sleep they seem to be getting does not seem to give them any extra energy or maybe it's because I have spent a long time doing long hours in various jobs that I am more used to it than they are

4 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

A lot of the blokes I work with are normally in bed and asleep by 8 or 9 latest which I find odd, I know we have to be up early but they always tell me how knackered they are at the end of a shift and some of them are half my age... I won't settle until around midnight at least even on a workday as I can't stand the idea of that strictly work,sleep,work,sleep routine with nothing in between... All that extra sleep they seem to be getting does not seem to give them any extra energy or maybe it's because I have spent a long time doing long hours in various jobs that I am more used to it than they are

8-9 too early for me, think the earliest i can do is 10 pm.

1 hour ago, True Blue said:

8-9 too early for me, think the earliest i can do is 10 pm.

My mate in Nottingham had a very strict routine for bed, 9pm latest without fail and he would be dead to the world within 5 minutes of his head hitting the pillow.. someone would have to hit me over the head with a hammer to get me out that quick... xD

7 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

My mate in Nottingham had a very strict routine for bed, 9pm latest without fail and he would be dead to the world within 5 minutes of his head hitting the pillow.. someone would have to hit me over the head with a hammer to get me out that quick... xD

I also fall to sleep very fast inside minutes, i also wake up during the night at least 4-5 times. But just turn to the other side and continue sleeping.

Whew - I have a odd sleeping habit, as since I was in high school, I usually wake up wide awake around 5-5:30am, so do get a good solid sleep in, I'm usually trying to get to bed between 10-12pm. 

1 hour ago, Stan said:

For some reason I don't like using it on my phone though. 

Flux is da best.

• Subscriber

I think I have mentioned this before in here but my sleep patterns go back to my army days and when I was working before I retired.

The tours of NI in my army days consisted of 4-5 sleep then out on a patrol for 5/6 hours then back to base then hit the cot after having some eats in the cookhouse, this went on for 7 months so that routine is still stuck in my brain if I go to bed, say at 22.00 hrs and nod off after reading a book in bed I will automatically wake up 4-5 hours later where I go the loo and have a wee drink of water, it then takes me about 5 minutes to nod off again.

When I was working as a building manager in charge of security I would get up at 04.45/ 05.00 every morning, wash/shower eat and then get myself dressed then head off to work at 06.00 and do a 10/11 hour shift then head off home.

That body clock of mine has never changed so I will always wake up after 4/5 hours kip, go back to sleep and then automatically wake up again around 05.00 am, if the wife has to get up early to go around our daughters to babysit she does not need an alarm to wake up as she knows I will wake up early, and funny enough we have been married for over 40 years she will automatically wake up the same times as me. 

I need almost complete silence. I’m not great at sleeping next to people, as I often move around to find a nice spot! I sleep pretty well once asleep. I’m often in bed and asleep by 9... up at 5-6. I’m just so tired these days. I need to start playing sport again.

Depends what day it is to be honest.

Monday-Thursday - usually get to bed at around 10... maybe 10:30 at a push. Don't really have any pre-sleep rituals other than getting a little stoned before going to bed.

Friday-Sunday - I stay up pretty late and I get pretty drunk before I get a little stoned before going to bed.

Archived