talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Sleep

football forum

What about bad experiences with sleep?

I remember when I was at uni and I had both my dissertation and an essay for another unit in for a Friday 12:00 AM. deadline. I finished my dissertation the day before on Thursday early afternoon and had to do that essay for the next day which was 4,000 words. The problem was that I hadn't written a single word of it and by the time I got into the library and settled on that Thursday to start it, it was getting close to the evening. I had done all the research (which consisted of pages and pages of notes, months of research) but had no plan. So I start but by the time it reaches midnight I've got about 1,000 words and hit a wall. However, somehow that night in the library I managed to finish it, I somehow got more words on the page and it got to 9:00am-10:00am the next day and my mate was helping me do the referencing and stuff, he was also in there that whole night but more so because he had a weird sleeping pattern, than anything else. I don't know how I finished it, the finished essay was below the word count even with the 10% rule. Don't know how I did it, nearly gave up but somehow I didn't. I also had another mate in there who was doing the same essay and other people I knew were also working to other deadlines, maybe they kept me going I don't know. Or the fact that I was thinking, go all out, if you fail, don't let it be for giving up, I was thinking that if I packed in that night, I would have regretted it. If I go all out, at least I could say I tried. The funny thing is that this essay turned out to be my highest mark in that final year (it was a 1st) and alongside my dissertation helped me come out with a 2:1.

An all-nighter in the library doesn't sound like hell but I had been tired all week doing the dissertation and had late nights previously. In that 24 hours the energy drinks gave me the shits also and so in the early hours of that morning I was going to the toilet every 30 minutes much to the amusement of some my mates in there. This was the final year, thought and a lot of work had to go into these essays and the context and environment for me in that year of university and many others was that you need to get at least a 2:1 and you get trapped in this university bubble, so I was battling very much with that pressure of the fact that my grades and future were on the line. Looking back now, the thoughts towards university are a lot different but I was young at the time.

So I gave in the essay about an hour or 30 minutes before the deadline. Funnily enough the next day I didn't even sleep, body felt like it was a different world, I may have fallen asleep for an hour but it was one of those naps you get where you're not even sure if you fell asleep. Ended up going out that Friday night as well and getting back late.

The whole university lifestyle is a strange one, don't know how I lived like that looking back.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Rab said:

I'm usually in bed for 9pm to get up for 5am.

For those wondering why any sane person would get up at 5am, I'm attempting fitness and prefer fitnessing before work as I'm usually pretty busy after work.

I wake up at 4:30 on most mornings for the same reason. With a wife and child, it's the best time to really get some alone time. 

I never sleep during the day, like never. Work days i go to bed around 11am - 12am and get up to work on 7am. On weekends i sleep to around 10 am and got to bed late, depending on the situation.

I love to sleep just don't get to do it so much.

• Administrator
8 hours ago, carefreeluke said:

What about bad experiences with sleep?

I remember when I was at uni and I had both my dissertation and an essay for another unit in for a Friday 12:00 AM. deadline. I finished my dissertation the day before on Thursday early afternoon and had to do that essay for the next day which was 4,000 words. The problem was that I hadn't written a single word of it and by the time I got into the library and settled on that Thursday to start it, it was getting close to the evening. I had done all the research (which consisted of pages and pages of notes, months of research) but had no plan. So I start but by the time it reaches midnight I've got about 1,000 words and hit a wall. However, somehow that night in the library I managed to finish it, I somehow got more words on the page and it got to 9:00am-10:00am the next day and my mate was helping me do the referencing and stuff, he was also in there that whole night but more so because he had a weird sleeping pattern, than anything else. I don't know how I finished it, the finished essay was below the word count even with the 10% rule. Don't know how I did it, nearly gave up but somehow I didn't. I also had another mate in there who was doing the same essay and other people I knew were also working to other deadlines, maybe they kept me going I don't know. Or the fact that I was thinking, go all out, if you fail, don't let it be for giving up, I was thinking that if I packed in that night, I would have regretted it. If I go all out, at least I could say I tried. The funny thing is that this essay turned out to be my highest mark in that final year (it was a 1st) and alongside my dissertation helped me come out with a 2:1.

An all-nighter in the library doesn't sound like hell but I had been tired all week doing the dissertation and had late nights previously. In that 24 hours the energy drinks gave me the shits also and so in the early hours of that morning I was going to the toilet every 30 minutes much to the amusement of some my mates in there. This was the final year, thought and a lot of work had to go into these essays and the context and environment for me in that year of university and many others was that you need to get at least a 2:1 and you get trapped in this university bubble, so I was battling very much with that pressure of the fact that my grades and future were on the line. Looking back now, the thoughts towards university are a lot different but I was young at the time.

So I gave in the essay about an hour or 30 minutes before the deadline. Funnily enough the next day I didn't even sleep, body felt like it was a different world, I may have fallen asleep for an hour but it was one of those naps you get where you're not even sure if you fell asleep. Ended up going out that Friday night as well and getting back late.

The whole university lifestyle is a strange one, don't know how I lived like that looking back.

Can totally relate and did that on more than one occasion, unfortunately! Ended up staying in my room and going online for references or resources as opposed to library. Sleeping pattern went out the window for uni and not just because of fresher's year but through the rest of it as well. 

Regarding bad sleep in general, I very rarely get nightmares or suffer from them. Every now and then I'll have a dream where I'm bleeding from my teeth falling out which can apparently have a few realistic meanings but other than that I think I sleep quite well. 

I normally aim for around 7 hours but get by on 6. If I'm in uni for 9 I'll go to bed at around 12am or 1am and get up at 7am. 

On weekends I like a bit of a longer lie in and normally I'll lie in bed for ages even after I wake up.

5 hours ago, True Blue said:

I never sleep during the day, like never. Work days i go to bed around 11am - 12am and get up to work on 7am. On weekends i sleep to around 10 am and got to bed late, depending on the situation.

I love to sleep just don't get to do it so much.

You mean 11pm. You sausage. 

• Administrator

One of life's general annoyances is when you plan to have a good lie-in at the weekend and get a good sleep but end up waking up early as per on a work-day and losing that chance. 

My sleep is all over the place. Always aim to be up for half 6 or so but my bedtime varies from 11pm until about half 1 in the morning, depending on how tired I feel or what I am doing beforehand. Can't be good for me and could do with a routine, but can't get into anything sensible at all. 

1 hour ago, Stan said:

One of life's general annoyances is when you plan to have a good lie-in at the weekend and get a good sleep but end up waking up early as per on a work-day and losing that chance. 

Happens every time. I end up getting up even earlier when I'm off than when I'm at work. Pisses me off.

18 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

How often do you normally sleep? 6-7 hours

When do you go to bed? I usually go to sleep between 23:00-00:00

When do you typically wake up? 6:00am but half of the time I wake up about 30 minutes before my alarm goes off. It pisses me off.

My number one annoyance.

When you know subconsciously you have to be up early for something, wake up 3 or 4 times during the night and check the clock, thinking its got to be close when infact time is on your side still, and then when that alarm goes off, you suddenly feel like you been hit by a ton of bricks.

Injustice.

• Subscriber
18 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

wake up about 30 minutes before my alarm goes off. It pisses me off.

10 minutes ago, Lucas said:

My number one annoyance.

Especially when you have had the weekend off and it's a Monday morning, I think that pisses a lot of people off, it did me.

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115cb70c0e4551373632

56 minutes ago, Lucas said:

My number one annoyance.

When you know subconsciously you have to be up early for something, wake up 3 or 4 times during the night and check the clock, thinking its got to be close when infact time is on your side still, and then when that alarm goes off, you suddenly feel like you been hit by a ton of bricks.

Injustice.

My #1 annoyance is when I dream about work, and in the dream it's a difficult day and I'm falling behind, only to wake up and realize that I still have to go to work. 

• 4 months later...

And by that I mean when you settle for the night what are your ideal dozing off conditions??... 

Are you like @nudge who does the Avocado & Kumquat face mask with Cucumber slices each night before bed???

Image result for face mask with cucumber in bed

Or.. are you more like @Devil-Dick Willie and have no need to sleep at night because you do most of your sleeping at work... 

Image result for sleeping with sunglasses on gif

I think I could pretty much sleep through anything if tired enough but I do like to go to sleep with something going on in the background, music or a soundtrack of rain or a crackling fire or even the tv on low as they all switch themselves off after a time, Having had a house full of kids I am just not used to sleeping in dead silence or total darkness, takes me ages to settle under those conditions.. 

• Administrator

Usually go to bed about 10pm, watch a bit of TV and do some social admin (I know, that's bad for you at night), then end up actually going to sleep around 11.30ish. It's decent time for me as I get up about 7.30am so still get the hours required for a decent night's sleep.

I do like to have music on in the background. Can be anything that I listen to as, unless it's the shitty hot weather we've recently experienced, it usually takes around 15 mins for me to get to sleep. 

I'm quite a deep sleeper too. I remember once on a football tour in Eindhoven about 10 years ago, we'd had (quite) a few drinks after the tournament and went to sleep, I must have passed out on the bed and some of the lads found an airhorn. They blew it right in to my ear about 2 or 3 times and I didn't move an inch xD

I'm most particular about what I wear, and getting the clothing balance right for the right now temperature in the room. If I lie down and get boiling its going to be a long night 

Also a bit particular about what I do before bed. Up late doing work and I'll be lying in bed for a long time trying to get to sleep. Ideally something not too intense before bed. Then get into bed put a super dark Bluelight filter on my phone and look at tf365 until be eyes get tired.

A mistake I make about 3 times a week is eat something too close to bedtime. That seems to keep the metabolism going whilst I'm asleep and makes me more likely to wake up hungry in the night.

• Subscriber

Considering that most of my clients are awake when the rest of the country is sleeping I get off work around midnight and then I'll do some reading before bed or browse the internet reading up on articles about whatever picks my fancy for the night. Get to bed around 1:30AM - 2:00AM then up at 8 or 9 so its not terrible. Fridays I tend to get to bed early and then Saturday its generally an all-nighter unless I have to fly in the morning on Sunday.

One of the bad habits I am trying to break now is trying to learn to play something late at night. I get fixated and then time just flies. So I save all that for the morning now.

1 hour ago, Stan said:

I'm quite a deep sleeper too. I remember once on a football tour in Eindhoven about 10 years ago, we'd had (quite) a few drinks after the tournament and went to sleep, I must have passed out on the bed and some of the lads found an airhorn. They blew it right in to my ear about 2 or 3 times and I didn't move an inch xD

I am the opposite... No matter how tired I can get woken by the slightest of noises, If a mouse moves a pebble at the bottom of the garden I am awake.. then it takes me ages to doze off again, once awake I usually get up and go down to make a drink, it's rare I get any decent/long periods of sleep anymore.. 

1 hour ago, Mel81x said:

and then I'll do some reading before bed or browse the internet reading up on articles about whatever picks my fancy for the night

Used to do lot of reading before bed and always found that to be a good way to fall asleep but I do the internet now which explains a lot.. maybe I should get myself a couple of good books and try the reading again.. 

• Subscriber
Just now, Bluewolf said:

Used to do lot of reading before bed and always found that to be a good way to fall asleep but I do the internet now which explains a lot.. maybe i should get myself a couple of good books and try the reading again.. 

The internet just keeps you shuffling around and that in itself keeps the brain active which then leads to no sleep. I don't do any browsing at all when I am in bed, its always just reading and these days I've downloaded a lot of Manga so I start reading those and before I know it I am out.

Archived