talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Players With No Ambition

There's was a lot of talk about Kane saying he had no ambitions.

I have to ask the same about Jordan Pickford.

Why on earth did he chose to stay at Everton? Spurs wanted a keeper. He would have been an obbo choice??

An England no1 shouldn't be playing at a club that isn't constantly in a relegation battle or am I missing something?

6 hours ago, patoriku66 said:

Why on earth did he chose to stay at Everton? Spurs wanted a keeper. He would have been an obbo choice??

An England no1 shouldn't be playing at a club that isn't constantly in a relegation battle or am I missing something?

Most United players since Fergie left. Paid the fuckers so much they'd rather sit on the bench than move on and actually play.

Fuck you Maguire you fat bastard.

• The title was changed to Players With No Ambition
  • Administrator
7 hours ago, patoriku66 said:

Maybe he's happy at Everton? Maybe Spurs didn't want him or didn't want to pay as much as Everton were asking.

I don't know if he's got family, but perhaps he didn't want to relocate them due to friends/family/schools/networks etc.

Might be an obvious choice to an outsider but don't forget the player might have his own preferences too :what:

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, patoriku66 said:

Ange Postecoglou is a kind of manager that would be looking for a specific type of keeper. I'm not sure Pickford would fit the bill

• Subscriber

I don't think Pickford has a lack of ambition as such, it's just he has a point to prove after last season to have a better one this season with Everton and prove himself.

He showed ambition when he moved from Sunderland to Everton after only one full season playing in the Premier League.

A lack of ambition can be a slightly elitist way of looking at things.

I'm not sure what the situation has been with Jordan Pickford, or how many other Premier League clubs would be making him number 1.

A good player I can talk about with more understanding is Emi Martinez. He reached a stage he was never going to be Arsenal number 1. Moved to Villa for that chance. Became Argentina's number 1. Won a Copa America. Then a World Cup. Had the Twitter-azi laughing it up he was going from World Cup winning to playing behind Ty-woan Miingssz. Over this summer he was linked with Spurs, Man United, Inter Milan, Bayern Munich, etc, etc. And maybe he could have gone to one of them. But is it really lack of ambition to want to do well with a club that has made you feel part of things like nowhere else? Just for a few extra thousand, whatever small or large increase in chance of trophies, and with that risk that he slips back to being ok as cover, but he's not a number 1. 

• Upvote 1

I always think of Matt Le Tissier whenever this sort of thing is raised.

One club man, stuck with Southampton all the years they flirted with relegation and never moved to Spurs or Chelsea, where he had chances to.

At the end of the day, he was just very content. He loved his life, he loved his club, and he loved being an idol for the city. 

It doesn't happen often but it's refreshing to see and if only a lot more players showed the same kind of loyalty or appreciation for what they have.

Equally, when I see Leeds players like Tyler Adams or Willy Gnonto moving from us to Bournemouth or Everton, I'd actually be more inclined to question their ambition.

They aren't going to those clubs to win things. They are going because their options are limited and simply using them as a stepping stone for something better whilst keeping a similar pay.

Ok, its a different division for now but it's two clubs that could easily be in the same spot in a year. Surely the greater ambition would be to graft and work to get your team back up, a different challenge but one no less ambitious, whilst showing a degree of loyalty for what they have done for you.

All a matter of perspective I think.

• Upvote 1

Does Ronaldinho count? I know he won a lot of titles and all, but with his unbelievable natural talent he would have had a much longer and prestigious career if he worked harder and partied less. 

• Subscriber

Football pundits and journalists in particular are so contradictory but fans too to a lesser extent. On the one hand the idea of a Super League was abhorrent and there was collective disgust at the prospect with everyone coming out against it, yet on the other hand, they are constantly calling for all the best players in the world to be at a select few clubs, it’s baffling. Football is a lot more fun when you can find stars around the league trying to win with different clubs. It’s nothing to do with a lack of ambition to choose that path. 

• Upvote 2

9Tough question.  I guess it could depend on whether the club you support is consider one of the so called big clubs or not. I never rated Shearer that highly because I believed he turned United down because he didn't have the balls to compete on the big stage,  that he settled for being a big fish in a small pond. Probably would have felt different if I supported Newcastle.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Redcanuck said:

9Tough question.  I guess it could depend on whether the club you support is consider one of the so called big clubs or not. I never rated Shearer that highly because I believed he turned United down because he didn't have the balls to compete on the big stage,  that he settled for being a big fish in a small pond. Probably would have felt different if I supported Newcastle.

43 minutes ago, Redcanuck said:

You didn't rate Shearer???

Mate he was literally a fucking machine, he had two ACL injuries and is still top premier league goalscorer.

How many would he have had without?

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Redcanuck said:

I never rated Shearer that highly because I believed he turned United down because he didn't have the balls to compete on the big stage

Lmao but he: 1.) competed on the big stage when Blackburn decided to see if they could buy a league title, successfully. 2.) after he'd done that, he wanted to play for his... hometown team... and that was more important to him than winning anywhere else.

He didn't need to show you he had the balls to compete on the big stage cos he'd already done that. He tried to show even bigger balls by trying to get his hometown club to be as good as they could be.

• Upvote 2

It’s just bullshit that one club players don’t have ambition. The players I respect the most are the ones that stuck around the club they came through and support. It’s what football used to be and ironically is the sort of loyalty fans are desperate for yet when they see it elsewhere, they ridicule it.

On 22/08/2023 at 05:24, Tar-Mairon said:

I get all the points posted

I understand your stance but I don't necessarily agree with it.

Kane could have stuck it out for another year and gone anywhere on a free.

As for Pickford, it's a bad look when you're England's number one yet losing 3 nil time and time again.

On 21/08/2023 at 17:32, Dr. Gonzo said:

Lmao but he: 1.) competed on the big stage when Blackburn decided to see if they could buy a league title, successfully. 2.) after he'd done that, he wanted to play for his... hometown team... and that was more important to him than winning anywhere else.

He didn't need to show you he had the balls to compete on the big stage cos he'd already done that. He tried to show even bigger balls by trying to get his hometown club to be as good as they could be.

It’s not like Newcastle were bad in the 90s either, if Keegan didn’t have a meltdown they may have won the title at least once.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

Jordan Pickford isn't winning a whole bunch of trophies but he's probably very content where he is and loves what he does and is willing to do it for the club he wants to do it for. Sometimes we confuse lack of ambition with being content and in some cases loyalty. It's a very rare thing in football these days where players have become more like commodities and less like sportspeople.