talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

How shite is the prem these days?

• Subscriber

Nice of you to post @jtees4, joined in March and lurked around and finally appeared xD

You should post in here and tell us a little bit about yourself if you want, I take it you are American and we have a few yanks in here who would welcome you.....I think :ay: 

9 hours ago, jtees4 said:

TRUTH! And as an Arsenal supporter, I agree that Arsenal has thrown it away two years in a row. This year is worse, because Arsenal is a better team this year. But I'm American, what the hell do I know?

Oh football.

VAR and rule implementation has done the most harm.  They made rules to stop the coaches talking with each other during a game but there seems to be no common sense with the rules itself.   This has caused the bigger controversy.

Since money has come into the game, teams with more have always dominated.  Had man united and chelsea been run better there would have been 5 teams sticking it out.  What is needed now is rules that encourage investment into the other 14ish clubs that can raise their competitiveness,  however the septic 6 wont allow it.

• Subscriber

They should change the fixture schedule so the top teams from the previous season play each other in the last few games and likewise for the newly promoted sides and teams that finished near the bottom the season before. Having these foregone conclusion matches at the end takes away from the excitement.

Imagine if last weekend you had City vs United and Arsenal vs Newcastle then this weekend it was Arsenal vs City? Gets rid of this tedious case where one team is 2 points clear with 10 games to go and 8 of their remaining fixtures are guaranteed wins.

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...

Screenshot_20240528_143416_Slack.thumb.jpg.03977641d5b93390c74ac762e1d22299.jpg

A lot of very repetitive winners. 

I could never understand when I was younger why American sports had draft systems. Obviously it would never work over here as you'd eliminate the concept of relegation, but seeing graphs like that make me realise why they do it and why it works for them.

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
1 hour ago, The Palace Fan said:

I could never understand when I was younger why American sports had draft systems. Obviously it would never work over here as you'd eliminate the concept of relegation, but seeing graphs like that make me realise why they do it and why it works for them.

Scotland is the worst.

Closely followed by Bulgaria, Croatia, Russia.

Other leagues may be repetitive but at least there's at least 1 different winner in the past 5 seasons.

• Subscriber
On 19/05/2024 at 13:46, RandoEFC said:

They should change the fixture schedule so the top teams from the previous season play each other in the last few games and likewise for the newly promoted sides and teams that finished near the bottom the season before. Having these foregone conclusion matches at the end takes away from the excitement.

Imagine if last weekend you had City vs United and Arsenal vs Newcastle then this weekend it was Arsenal vs City? Gets rid of this tedious case where one team is 2 points clear with 10 games to go and 8 of their remaining fixtures are guaranteed wins.

It is actually pretty mental when you put it like that that they do this. They 100% do it as well. The odds of these teams avoiding each other on the last day every season must be in the millions.

They're missing a trick.

Makes me laugh how on one hand we're being told this league is ultra competitive yet Man City were declared champions by everybody with a game left against a top half team. Lots of convenient narrative which people will spin whichever way they are persuaded.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

The state of Croatia xD 

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

The NHL is actually a pretty interesting study when looking back to the 90's to compare the differences to the modern day. They introduced a salary cap system in the mid 2000's roughly? Its drastically altered the way the league plays out. Teams draft and develop players and as they come into their prime teams open up "windows" of competing for the cup. When teams are in their windows they trade draft picks for players that match their core's ages or older to try and win now. Eventually what happens is when their windows are closed teams have to rebuild generally from the ground up. In the modern day for example theres been a few dynasties, Chicago, Pittsburgh Tampa Bay. Chicago is a good example to work with, They won 3 Stanely Cups with essentially a core of 4 or 5 players and built different supporting casts around them at different times to win. By the end of those core players careers they have to and are currently trying to draft players and start up again but it will be some years of pain before they can do so as they had traded all their young prospects and draft picks to keep winning. Previously in the 90's yes there was a draft and yes teams would still use it to build but they would also go out and just buy the best players available in free agency as the rich teams had a clear leg up. The NY Rangers come to mind as one back then with the talent they amassed and would seemingly always go out and get the best guy money could buy until eventually they won a cup. I could get more into the weeds but this is the general idea anyways. 

The currently Salary cap era isnt perfect and I know theres been discussions about this before but isnt really adaptable to football but its created some of the most parody in the NHL as far as I can remember. This years cup winner will be a team that hasn't won in I think at least 20 years with 4 teams remaining. 

• Upvote 1

I believe there are only 5 Northern teams in the Premier next year.   Having too many teams South of the Wash might have something to do with the quality of the Premier these days.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Redcanuck said:

I believe there are only 5 Northern teams in the Premier next year.   Having too many teams South of the Wash might have something to do with the quality of the Premier these days.

The Northern teams shouldn't have got relegated then :what:

11 minutes ago, Stan said:

The Northern teams shouldn't have got relegated then :what:

He is right though, the North (particularly the North West) is the capital of English football. The Midlands/South is a massive step down in terms of history, fanbase etc.

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

He is right though, the North (particularly the North West) is the capital of English football. The Midlands/South is a massive step down in terms of history, fanbase etc.

Further to the point then. 

Two northern teams got relegated last year. If they were so good and better, why didn't they stay up? 

Or maybe it's not actually to do with location or geography of the teams and there's differing reasons for the diminishing quality of the league. 

Man United & Liverpool are England's Real Madrid & Barcelona. Celtic & Rangers. River Plate & Boca Juniors.

Man City & Chelsea are the modern money sides. They seem fairly unique to England. Perhaps PSG their most similar comparison?

Other than that, it's mostly noisy banter. With a few clubs here or there having way more hype than they truly merit. At either ends of the country.

While some clubs would have caused more wet knickers if they had done what Leicester & West Ham have done in the last number of years. Even Wolves, Bournemouth & Brighton too.

• Subscriber
On 28/05/2024 at 18:10, Dan said:

It is actually pretty mental when you put it like that that they do this. They 100% do it as well. The odds of these teams avoiding each other on the last day every season must be in the millions.

They're missing a trick.

Makes me laugh how on one hand we're being told this league is ultra competitive yet Man City were declared champions by everybody with a game left against a top half team. Lots of convenient narrative which people will spin whichever way they are persuaded.

The problem is that if they had Man City vs Arsenal, Spurs vs Chelsea and Man Utd vs Liverpool on the last day then they don't get to milk each of those big games for a whole weekend at different points throughout the season. All about money and viewing figures from their perspective. They won't see it as missing a trick.

8 hours ago, Redcanuck said:

Suppose it has nothing to do with how success has been monopolised within the Premier League, just completely down to teams in the north being shit. The league really isn’t missing out from your Bolton’s or Blackburn’s not being in it, not to mention your Burnley’s, Hull etc.

If any clubs are then I’d say it’s your Sunderland’s, Leeds and a Sheffield club. And for quality of atmosphere you could definitely drop a Bournemouth, Brighton or Fulham.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Danny said:

The league really isn’t missing out from your Bolton’s or Blackburn’s not being in it, not to mention your Burnley’s

If any clubs are then I’d say it’s your Sunderland’s, your Leeds and a Sheffield club.

There is also a lack of yer Henrys and yer Lampards. @Spike

Edited by Carnivore Chris

45 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

There is also a lack of yer Henrys and yer Lampards. @Spike

I'm more partial to yer Redknapps and yer Owens. I like my players as thick as yer Danny Dyers