talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Alan Shearer vs Michael Owen

• Administrator

So Owen has ruffled a few feathers criticising and going for Newcastle (club and fans) despite happily raking in the £120k/w yet wanting to retire at the same time... 

Owen's become a right prick since retiring. Has a go at Shearer questioning his loyalty yet moved to Utd after playing his best years at Liverpool. And if I'm right in thinking he regularly referred to Utd as 'we' too xD

Shit pundit, mind-numbingly and coma-inducingly dull. 

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Owen's an absolute weapon, wouldn't mind if he was an insightful weapon but he's stealing a living as a pundit.

Shearer on the other hand? Class player throughout his career (no ill feeling at all from Rovers either), has improved immeasurably as a pundit and seems like a decent bloke too.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, tlr said:

Owen's an absolute weapon, wouldn't mind if he was an insightful weapon but he's stealing a living as a pundit.

Shearer on the other hand? Class player throughout his career (no ill feeling at all from Rovers either), has improved immeasurably as a pundit and seems like a decent bloke too.

Yeah I used to despise Shearer for years before he was eclipsed by several other terrible players/pundits.

In one game he booted Neil Lennon in the face then said to the FA, as they considered a ban, that he'll stop playing for England if he gets banned. So he got away scot-free xD

22 minutes ago, Stan said:

So Owen has ruffled a few feathers criticising and going for Newcastle (club and fans) despite happily raking in the £120k/w yet wanting to retire at the same time... 

Owen's become a right prick since retiring. Has a go at Shearer questioning his loyalty yet moved to Utd after playing his best years at Liverpool. And if I'm right in thinking he regularly referred to Utd as 'we' too 

He also ran his contract down for a move to Madrid meaning we received a bog basic fee for, at the time, one of the worlds best strikers.

Shithead.

Grew up loving Shearer, Owen, Andy Cole as strikers... 

It really feels like Owen can’t get over how injuries and transfer decisions “fucked up” his career. I try not listen to him now because it makes me want to forget how good he was at Liverpool.

Havent heard a lot from shearer but as a player, insanely good. As a pundit, jury is out for me. 

• Subscriber

Both brilliant strikers in their prime but Owen post-Liverpool has always come across as a bit of a tool. Shearer may have tried to force a move away from the Toon but wouldn't you if you were unhappy in your job? 

• Administrator

I don't mind Shearer as a pundit these days. Probably grown on me over the years. And perhaps he looks good because of all the 'I'll talk about the player that is flavour of the day/week/month and not say my real opinion' dullards out there as well. 

• Administrator
23 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Owen was a dick when he used to do his own training show on TV.

Always remember this, when Big Nev was getting pissed off with the way he was lauding it over a 13 year old.

Definitely. The way he celebrates as well xD

'Well done, he's 13'. 

It's unnecessary from Owen especially as he didn't actually play well enough to suggest that he was too good for Newcastle. If anything it was a worse deal for Newcastle. Him describing it as a downward step isn't something anyone can disagree with though.

• Subscriber

Owen is an odious cunt. Bang average everywhere after he left Liverpool. Clearly not man enough to try his hand at coaching or management yet happy to sell videos of him taking a 13 year old on one on one, and happy to talk about Shearer's failures as a manager.

I'm not a massive fan of Shearer as a pundit and I'm not old enough to remember much of his career, but there's simply no comparison between the two. If Owen really "shook the world" so much he wouldn't have had to take the step down to Newcastle would he? 

Also anyone who plays for Man Utd after coming through the youth teams at Liverpool instantly surrenders any right to talk about loyalty the rest of his career.

And yes, he's a shite pundit who offers no insight and his voice is boring as fuck too. 

Basically an absolutely shite person in pretty much every metric that I can think of.

8 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Owen is an odious cunt. Bang average everywhere after he left Liverpool. Clearly not man enough to try his hand at coaching or management yet happy to sell videos of him taking a 13 year old on one on one, and happy to talk about Shearer's failures as a manager.

I'm not a massive fan of Shearer as a pundit and I'm not old enough to remember much of his career, but there's simply no comparison between the two. If Owen really "shook the world" so much he wouldn't have had to take the step down to Newcastle would he? 

Also anyone who plays for Man Utd after coming through the youth teams at Liverpool instantly surrenders any right to talk about loyalty the rest of his career.

And yes, he's a shite pundit who offers no insight and his voice is boring as fuck too. 

Basically an absolutely shite person in pretty much every metric that I can think of.

Injuries ruined him. He was really fucking good between 98 and about 04. Easy to forget he won the Ballon D'or in 2001 (I think). I don't like the cunt but let's not pretend he wasn't world class for a good few years.

Owen is the reason I started following football and LFC, but the man is an absolute weirdo. Who doesn't like movies and music?

I can understand that he couldn't say no to Madrid, but I remember the then manager Camacho not being keen on him(and instead favouring Morientes). Owen still went on  to have a decent first season, but you always felt that he was surplus there. Rafa tried hard to convince him and Gerrard to stay at LFC, but he refused. Unsurprisingly, Rafa returned the favour when Owen became available again, by not showing genuine interest. I wish Owen owns up on his bad choices instead of providing excuses. 

As for their punditry, both Owen and Shearer are terrible. They have nothing interesting to add (often repeating the obvious), and the only reason they are hired is because they were high profile players. 

The only best analysis Owen ever provided was on hamstring injuries. I thought it was quite interesting as he spoke from experience. 

Michael Owen in his height of excellence was one of the most exciting strikers I’ve ever witnessed. An amazing football product that should’ve gone onto rule the footballing world for years.

Alan Shearer is completely different and it’s unfair to compare. A more just comparison with Alan Shearer would’ve been Gary Lineker or even Alan Smith and Ian Wright who were in that mould of typical traditional 9 poachers (although Wright had more about him). 

This isn’t me taking credit from Shearer who was a total beast. But Owen was a very special player. 

Archived